Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Cam Tower - Gushing Oil

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2012, 01:51 PM
markvtg
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cam Tower - Gushing Oil

I recently replaced the gasket on the cam tower and after the car started, oil started gushing out between the cam tower and the block. Quickly turned off the car.

Is there a trick that I missed when reinstalling the cam tower? I did install the gasket correctly, did a double check.

Thanks in advance
Old 04-12-2012, 01:19 AM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 287 Posts

If oil was "gushing" out, then I'm guessing you ripped the gasket on installation (it happens) or your alignment pin gone hung up or something else got in the way. Have you taken it apart yet?
Old 04-12-2012, 01:25 AM
jmj951
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

At one of the ends, along the length, or everywhere in general? The only gotcha I can think of is that the ends are supposed to be supplemented with gasket sealant, something not inherently obvious unless you followed a manual - but that shouldn't be enough of a problem to produce any gushing. My guess is that the gasket moved during reinstallation of the cam tower. Reinstalling the cam tower is a bit tricky - trying to get it all lined up properly without the lifters dropping. Sorry to hear this. It will definitely need to come back off for another look.
Old 04-13-2012, 01:11 PM
markvtg
Advanced

Took it apart, gasket face nearest exhaust manifold slid inward during installation.....grrrr gasket on order.
Old 04-13-2012, 04:39 PM
magcuda
Intermediate

before you put the gasket on, coat it with some light grease. This will help keep the gasket in place
Old 04-13-2012, 10:53 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by jmj951
The only gotcha I can think of is that the ends are supposed to be supplemented with gasket sealant, something not inherently obvious unless you followed a manual...
Really? Can you point to where in the manual is says to use sealant on the ends?

Quick Reply: Cam Tower - Gushing Oil