Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Track Junkies, what sensors do I need?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2012, 02:35 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I for one would want to know the oil temp supplying the engine rather than the temp of oil returning from arguably the hottest part of the engine. As mentioned i dont see how this is helpful.. high temp for the oil supply to the engine is a better and more accurate warning indicator.
Old 08-21-2012, 10:39 AM
reno808
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 67King
An oil temperature 100 degrees above normal isn't a very valuable piece of data.
once again its a warning. at least it gives you enough time to react and cool the oil down. its there to prevent.
Old 08-21-2012, 12:53 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by 67King
The problem with that is that it will read higher than the average sump temperature, since it is coming from the turbo. Nearly all references to oil temperature are sump temperature. Oil will get significantly hotter inside the engine. When we tell our customers the safe oil temperature range, we are speaking of sump temperatures.
Can you tell us a little bit about what happens to oil at high temps? I've heard, but don't know how accurate it is, things like, "Oil starts to break down over 260 degrees."

Is that true? If it is, is it just the high temperature that's harmful, or does it have to be the high temp with a certain amount of shearing load? E.g. if the oil return from the turbo has the potential of damaging the oil, then, yes, you'd want to read that temp. But, if it's the high shear load from the pistons on the cylinder walls, in conjunction with heat, that are really the damaging factor, then the oil pan should be the place to read temps.

The only reason I think you'd want to read inlet oil temp (via an oil filter sandwich plate) would be to compare it with the sump temp to see how efficient the oil cooler is.

Quick Reply: Track Junkies, what sensors do I need?