Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Exhaust leak, cracks and soot marks?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2012, 02:47 PM
Jeff N.
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust leak, cracks and soot marks?

I have some sort of exhaust leak in the header to x-overpipe area. I can hear it if I use the old rubber hose trick to channel the noise. Problem is, for the life of me, I can't see any soot or other telltale signs of where the leak is.

Any tricks to ID where the leak is? I think I have read about every thread on the board related to header and cross over cracks.....

My expectation is that I should be able to see some sign of soot around the heat shield of the part with the leak. Or the connection...or something.
Old 04-07-2012, 04:01 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff N.
I have some sort of exhaust leak in the header to x-overpipe area. I can hear it if I use the old rubber hose trick to channel the noise. Problem is, for the life of me, I can't see any soot or other telltale signs of where the leak is.

Any tricks to ID where the leak is? I think I have read about every thread on the board related to header and cross over cracks.....

My expectation is that I should be able to see some sign of soot around the heat shield of the part with the leak. Or the connection...or something.
I found 2 leaks ( due to a crack in the #2-3 header ) There was soot on the top where the header meets the block and the flange where the header meets the crossover. The reason why it was showing up on the outside legs of the headers, was because the HS was carrying the gasses, from the crack at the branch of the header, to the ends then depositing the soot at the ends ( looking at it ) one would think that the leak was on the end but it wasn't, it was in the #3 leg right off the branching. Hope that help
BTW the only way I could find the leak was to remove the headers and close off the ends and pump air into the headers while underwater.....
Regards
Ed
Attached Images  
Old 04-07-2012, 04:45 PM
nick_968
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff N.

I have chased a lot of leaks around the crossover and headers and the only failsafe method I found to be 100% was the snapon gas detector, the link below is similar to the one I used but older. Luckily a friend of mine is snap on mad and had one I could borrow. Without it I would have struggled to find the more minor leaks. Soot was not always visible, smell was but hard to pinpoint. Another method which I have not tried is a smoke machine if you can find somewhere with one.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SNAP-TOOLS-A...-/160762379809
Old 04-07-2012, 04:48 PM
Jeff N.
Burning Brakes

Eddie - interesting pic. Thanks for the info.

Nick - that tool looks like the trick; I'll see if I can borrow or rent one locally. How close can you pinpoint the leak with one?
Old 04-07-2012, 04:57 PM
nick_968
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

It has 3 sensitivity settings but you can pinpoint it to the exact point on the flange on the highest sensitivity, it really is that good. So good in fact you end up checking a known good connection now and then just to make sure its working properly!
Old 04-08-2012, 02:54 AM
jmj951
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The first exhaust leak I had was in that area, but it was on the exhaust test tube coming off the crossover near the headers. It had corroded and finally broken off before I got around to dealing with it. I removed the nut from the top of crossover and installed a VW lugnut in its place. Before trying to chase down the more difficult sources of exhaust leaks, check this easy one first.
Old 04-08-2012, 12:42 PM
Jeff N.
Burning Brakes

Thanks Jonathan - I haven't pulled mine off and looked at it. I'll do it.

Last edited by Jeff N.; 04-08-2012 at 06:14 PM.

Quick Reply: Exhaust leak, cracks and soot marks?