Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

1986 944 Turbo and advise

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2012, 06:22 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Too nice a car to heavily modify in my opinion. Personally if i could do it over again with my car, which was in very good shape and relatively stock when i bought it, this is how i would modify it..

3" exhaust
MAF setup
Tial wastegate
Boost controller

That is it! This will net you around 260whp on a stock 26/6 turbo and give you very quick spool up. In other words its still very usable around town but still alot of fun on the highway. I dont recommend building a 3L and even thinking about a 'return on investment'. The value in your car is that its basically stock or is lighted modded with desirable things. Building a 3L is like spending $10-15k to make your car worth $20k.

I went way beyond that and have regretted it more times than not. I totally bastardized a really nice, basically stock car.. and now i am going one step further and putting in a V8 to get some reliability back!
Old 03-31-2012, 07:54 PM
jmj951
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by robstah
...That and we need more twinscrews...
Yes, it's theoretically ideal based on what I've read, but you'd have to fabricate a dual-channel crossover with dual wastegates to make it work properly, so that upgrade falls into a very exclusive category.
Old 03-31-2012, 08:14 PM
jmj951
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by robstah
Huh?

No. You delete the turbo and make an intake that has a heat exchanger built in and then has the twinscrew right off of that. No need to have "twincharging", which is probably what you are thinking of.
I was talking about a dual-scroll turbocharger. Anyway, yes, we were talking about two different things. I've never heard of a twinscrew setup, but from your description, still another mod that falls into a very exclusive category.

Quick Reply: 1986 944 Turbo and advise