Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

MAACO These Days?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2012, 02:06 AM
George D
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by George D
When I was tuning 280Z cars back in the mid 80's we used to use a similar company but we knew the owner. He would let us come over and circle every blemish after sanding with a grease pencil, and have them fill and sand again. He would make sure we got his best painter.

The paint was ****, and these jobs cost us about as much as a very good detail job. The car would look good for about two years, then they would have to be "detailed" again. From 10 feet away they looked decent.

Proper paint for our cars like Dupont Chromabase including clear coat costs $1000 to $1500 depending on the color, and coats of clear.
This is just the cost of the paint, not any labor.
Old 03-29-2012, 02:26 AM
George D
Drifting

Originally Posted by ausgeflippt951
Speak of the devil. Holy cow -- $400 for an entire car?! Yowzers.
Collin, not to be a dick, but you are a MIT grad, and I'm proud of you. Our cars deserve more than $30 worth of ****ty paint, and $80 in labor. Maaco deserves all their profit margins. I get their market, but it shouldn't be our cars.
Old 03-29-2012, 10:21 AM
ausgeflippt951
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by George D
Collin, not to be a dick, but you are a MIT grad, and I'm proud of you. Our cars deserve more than $30 worth of ****ty paint, and $80 in labor. Maaco deserves all their profit margins. I get their market, but it shouldn't be our cars.

hahaha thanks for the words of encouragement George. Don't worry -- I have no plans to get a Maaco paint job any time soon! As a matter of fact I was just admiring the 951's paint the other day.

Hell -- people keep running their cars into her in parking lots, so almost 100% of it is brand new paint! Add to that the recent parts I got painted (mirrors and bumper), and maybe she's pretty close to 100%. Last part I need to paint is the header panel -- it's got quite a few rock chips.......
Old 03-30-2012, 03:59 PM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

Well mine is going to be more of. A "beast-RS" car so not looking for show quality. Also had considered rattle can approach as well.

I totally forgot about local auto body students. I will make some calls.
Old 03-30-2012, 04:08 PM
incomplete
Racer

my car was painted at maaco a couple of years before i bought it. they guy spent $3k on their "premium" paint service.

what a crock of ****! the paint hasn't bonded to the primer, so it flakes off really easily, and definitely has some orange peel look to it on the fenders.

YMMV.
Old 03-30-2012, 05:19 PM
gruhsy
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

I am willing to bet that a motivated student can do a better job than someone who works at Maaco who probably hates their job.

If your good at painting and body work I doubt you would be working there.

Just my opinion. Whatever people decide my thoughts are not meant to judge anyone and it's not my car or money.

I also have never liked Maaco so I am 100% biased against them.

I have been painting on and off for about 4 years now for work. A small part of what I do at work. I'm hoping one day to paint a project vehicle but not start with my Porsche. It's Mil-spec aircraft polyurethane paint I spray and I use DeVillbiss Transtech paint guns.........I didn't pay for them but they are $600.00 guns to buy in Calgary. Probably much cheaper in the US. I know there is better guns out there but not needed for what I am spraying. I've learned a thing or 2 and I am also the most picky person when it comes to my own work and paint jobs on my cars.

Good luck with which ever route you go

Jason
Old 03-31-2012, 10:01 AM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

J & J Auto Body & Painting (17 miles north of Daytona Speedway).
410 North Railroad Street,
Bunnell, FL 386 437-0041

they do high-quality work. they did a walkaround on my car.... i explained what i was looking for. then they gave me the price. all i could say was, 'wow; i'll never get my car painted in the northeast..." price differencial; Northeast: $7,500.... J&J, Bunnell: $3,200. if you're in the area, take your car to these guys.
Old 03-31-2012, 11:28 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

rural/south prices; yes.

the rest of the country; in our dreams.
Old 04-01-2012, 12:19 AM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

all i can say is that it depends on the shop. My dad ran a MAACO back in the 80's and they always did good work. A friend of mine worked at one some time ago and that shop said he was taking too much time sanding and to just "scuff quickly" over the surface before paint. He didnt stay there long. When i paint a car for myself just the paint is usually between 600-1000 just for paint and primer, tape and supplies. If i shoot the car with NASON which is Duponts cheaper line its still about 3/4 of that. MAACO i believe still uses acrylic enamel for their cheap jobs which is crap paint that is not UV resistant and not flexible on plastic panels.
Old 04-02-2012, 05:00 PM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

And everything I have ever been told about paint is 90% is all in the material and prep work. Which if done by the book is where your price (labor) shoots up fast.
Old 04-03-2012, 09:14 AM
aixgelo78
Instructor

I have seen their paint work and it is usually pretty crappy, but for a beater and for $500, it is pretty hard to beat.

Now, since they are mostly independently owned, quality differs from shop to shop.(although I would say 90-95% of them do sub at work, hence their reputation) Ironically, the Maaco on Frankford Ave in Philadelphia is probably one of the best ones. They do a lot of hotrods and do custom painted schemes and stripes. Who would'be figured to go to that Maaco for that kind of work.

Just my 2cents...
Old 04-03-2012, 12:21 PM
lee101315
Three Wheelin'

I had my 951 done at Maaco, and it came out excellent...and im extremely picky when it comes to paint.

The Maaco where I had mine done is in North Bergen, NJ, but this isnt your typical Maaco. The owner is a friend of mine, and he does amazing work. Some of his work has been in magazines...he airbrushes custom bikes, does custom paintjobs for hotrods ( all types of schemes ), he's done a lot of high end drag cars ( with graphics ).

I prepared the car with another bodyman here in my shop, and used only high quality prep materials and primer. I sent the car to maaco on a flatbed, with all the body panels and seals removed ( doors, fenders, sunroof, bumpers...etc ).

I then gave him the paint code I wanted, told him I wanted no orange peel, and that I wanted the paint to look as close to glass as possible.

I paid $1500 for paint alone, and put the car back together myself with all new weather stripping. Pain in the *** job. So if you can find a Maaco with an owner like that, I wouldnt think twice about painting my car there.

Sure, if you want to spend $400 on a maaco job, its going to look like crap.
If you dont like to do any of the dirty work like removing panels and seals, dont expect them to.

All in all im very satisfied
Old 04-03-2012, 12:28 PM
reno808
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by lee101315
I had my 951 done at Maaco, and it came out excellent...and im extremely picky when it comes to paint.

The Maaco where I had mine done is in North Bergen, NJ, but this isnt your typical Maaco. The owner is a friend of mine, and he does amazing work. Some of his work has been in magazines...he airbrushes custom bikes, does custom paintjobs for hotrods ( all types of schemes ), he's done a lot of high end drag cars ( with graphics ).

I prepared the car with another bodyman here in my shop, and used only high quality prep materials and primer. I sent the car to maaco on a flatbed, with all the body panels and seals removed ( doors, fenders, sunroof, bumpers...etc ).

I then gave him the paint code I wanted, told him I wanted no orange peel, and that I wanted the paint to look as close to glass as possible.

I paid $1500 for paint alone, and put the car back together myself with all new weather stripping. Pain in the *** job. So if you can find a Maaco with an owner like that, I wouldnt think twice about painting my car there.

Sure, if you want to spend $400 on a maaco job, its going to look like crap.
If you dont like to do any of the dirty work like removing panels and seals, dont expect them to.

All in all im very satisfied
Nice. Can you post some nice pics i want to see it. I need some stuff painted
Old 04-03-2012, 12:56 PM
lee101315
Three Wheelin'

This is the only pic I have after putting some of the car back together. Everything in the nose is fiberglass, it was hell to get the GT racing header panel aligned with the hood. I didnt use guards red either.
Attached Images  
Old 04-03-2012, 01:29 PM
lee101315
Three Wheelin'

Come to think of it, if I were to do it all over again, id use factory steel panels instead of fiberglass.

Quick Reply: MAACO These Days?