Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Wastegate / boost issues??

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2012, 09:12 PM
95ONE
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have always used the old style greddy EBC with the large black box solenoid. Always does what it's told.
Old 03-29-2012, 09:24 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 76 Posts

There is more to come from this setup. The w/gate is still playing up intermittently so we'll look at that soon. At the track right now. Getting sync error. Think it's cam sensor now. They're working as I'm typing....'stay tuned' sorry , couldn't resist.
Old 03-29-2012, 09:45 PM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

guy in the background: Patrick, get of that damn forum!

good luck!
Old 03-29-2012, 10:34 PM
jasonlp
Three Wheelin'

Seriously good luck!
Old 03-29-2012, 10:46 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Something is sending a rouge signal re the cam sensor. Not sure what's generating it yet. There playing with different gaps.
Old 03-29-2012, 10:48 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Swapped sensors, ECUs. Different gaps, still there. Same place every time.
Old 03-29-2012, 11:06 PM
thingo
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Mine came up with a sync error as soon as my tuner plugged it in, he seemed to think the missing tooth on the clewett wheel needed to be 'clocked' to a differnt position relative to the cam sensor.
Old 03-29-2012, 11:28 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

They've done that too Rod. They seem to think that somehow a bolt or dowell has possibly become magnetised as its in the same spot each time. 540 btdc.
Old 03-29-2012, 11:52 PM
thingo
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I have the clewett cam sensor, Matt had to change the screw to a bolt as it was giving an extra trigger.
Old 03-30-2012, 03:36 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Any news pat?
Old 03-30-2012, 07:41 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

After lots of fiddling around and conjecture...our next session on the track was fast approaching. Paul who had gone out in the car initially and had experienced the total ign cuttout had wandered off probably after a few hours in the pits catching up with various racers that he knows. So I'm standing around and the engineer has done his latest bit of 'stuff' and we say, well I guess I'd better go out there then. I wasn't expecting much and in fact was expecting the fault to still be there. Anyway, I'm sitting in the grid. Heaps of all different types of cars. Wondering to myself what to make of all the new stuff and in reality a new car. Eventually it's our go. Head on out, things seem ok...No sign of engine cut...OK, what am I doing out here again?? Hmm, car seems pretty nice actually. Feels a lot more alive which would be weight loss, stiffness, slicks, better engine response...the tail was a bit squirrelly out of some corners, but all in all...I'm having a ball!! Yay!! Pass a few cars, get passed by a few more. (this is just a practice session before the weekend event..which I'm not competing in) Then after only a couple of laps the Red Flag is out and in we come. Sit in Pit Lane for what feels like an hour. Finally out we go for one more lousy lap and that's it for the session. Day is starting to get a bit late and Paul hadn't had a real go yet so I let him go for the next session. He got about 8-10 clear laps and did a reasonable lap time of 1:43.8 which all things considered isn't too bad. He came in and said the car made him feel like a Tokyo Drift boy so much did the tail want to wag. We never had time to play with any suspension settings so that is all still to come.

So all in all, the day could have been better...but it could have been worse. I'm going with the Glass half full concept. The car feels like it has a lot of promise and once we get a new w/gate we'll go back for another tune which he'll wind up the boost and timing some more and we'll see another decent increase across the board. They almost choked when they asked me what the c/r was of these motors. They said, what 10:1..maybe 9:5??? Nah...8:1. Should have seen the look on their faces. It was as if I'd spoken in some lost language. Of course they said, Oh well, we can wind the boost up to 30psi easily!!
I shall have to keep an eye on them.
Old 03-30-2012, 08:50 AM
MC 968CS
Pro

Received 139 Likes on 57 Posts

Marvelous. Can't wait to see it all on song!
Old 03-30-2012, 10:34 AM
reno808
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TonyG
I prefer much smaller lines over larger AN lines. Larger lines have too much volume, which slows and mushes up the action of the wastegate.

TonyG
My tial wastegate and solenoid are both -4an size
Old 03-30-2012, 10:37 AM
reno808
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 333pg333
After lots of fiddling around and conjecture...our next session on the track was fast approaching. Paul who had gone out in the car initially and had experienced the total ign cuttout had wandered off probably after a few hours in the pits catching up with various racers that he knows. So I'm standing around and the engineer has done his latest bit of 'stuff' and we say, well I guess I'd better go out there then. I wasn't expecting much and in fact was expecting the fault to still be there. Anyway, I'm sitting in the grid. Heaps of all different types of cars. Wondering to myself what to make of all the new stuff and in reality a new car. Eventually it's our go. Head on out, things seem ok...No sign of engine cut...OK, what am I doing out here again?? Hmm, car seems pretty nice actually. Feels a lot more alive which would be weight loss, stiffness, slicks, better engine response...the tail was a bit squirrelly out of some corners, but all in all...I'm having a ball!! Yay!! Pass a few cars, get passed by a few more. (this is just a practice session before the weekend event..which I'm not competing in) Then after only a couple of laps the Red Flag is out and in we come. Sit in Pit Lane for what feels like an hour. Finally out we go for one more lousy lap and that's it for the session. Day is starting to get a bit late and Paul hadn't had a real go yet so I let him go for the next session. He got about 8-10 clear laps and did a reasonable lap time of 1:43.8 which all things considered isn't too bad. He came in and said the car made him feel like a Tokyo Drift boy so much did the tail want to wag. We never had time to play with any suspension settings so that is all still to come.

So all in all, the day could have been better...but it could have been worse. I'm going with the Glass half full concept. The car feels like it has a lot of promise and once we get a new w/gate we'll go back for another tune which he'll wind up the boost and timing some more and we'll see another decent increase across the board. They almost choked when they asked me what the c/r was of these motors. They said, what 10:1..maybe 9:5??? Nah...8:1. Should have seen the look on their faces. It was as if I'd spoken in some lost language. Of course they said, Oh well, we can wind the boost up to 30psi easily!!
I shall have to keep an eye on them.
Nice good to hear
Old 03-30-2012, 02:14 PM
95ONE
Race Car

Sounds like my first two experience out on the track a couple or three years ago. Bitter sweet. Lots of gremlins are there.. It's just part of the process. Either loosen up the back or tighten up the front. See what happens.

Quick Reply: Wastegate / boost issues??