Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Rear axel bolts keep breaking?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 03:34 AM
fortysixandtwo
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The accuracy of tightening a threaded fastener with an open end wrench or ratchet is only about +/- 20% to 50%.
Your typical click release torque wrench will get you in the +/- 10% to 20%.
The more sophisticated stuff is about +/- 5%

That puts the best assembly workers (or mechanics) on par with your worst torque verification tool.

You might be looking at these numbers and thinking "hey, my torque wrench says its accurate to +/- 2%, why are you saying 10% to 20%!?"
Really, these are two different measures. The tool accuracy is +/- 2% of torque application. Torque application is just an indicator of fastener tension (the true goal is tension). When you add the real word variations of a threaded joint, the accuracy of a certain torque, equaling a certain tension, diminishes. Thats why a $10,000 tool (I'm not joking) will only get you within 5%.

Sorry to digress, but it was a little bit on topic, and it doesn't hurt to know a little more about why you should purchase and use a decent torque wrench.

Saga- You can put a lever arm extension on the end of your, larger, torque wrench to get up to 368 lb-ft. Provided you keep the extension lined up with the tool handle, the change in torque setting equation is really simple.
Old 03-27-2012, 10:34 AM
fwb42
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

These post are exactly why I love Rennlist. Here is a young man making a few mistakes and instead of belittling him we have taught him and a few of us something. Great work Rennlist!!
Old 03-27-2012, 11:39 AM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fortysixandtwo
The accuracy of tightening a threaded fastener with an open end wrench or ratchet is only about +/- 20% to 50%.
Your typical click release torque wrench will get you in the +/- 10% to 20%.
The more sophisticated stuff is about +/- 5%

That puts the best assembly workers (or mechanics) on par with your worst torque verification tool.

You might be looking at these numbers and thinking "hey, my torque wrench says its accurate to +/- 2%, why are you saying 10% to 20%!?"
Really, these are two different measures. The tool accuracy is +/- 2% of torque application. Torque application is just an indicator of fastener tension (the true goal is tension). When you add the real word variations of a threaded joint, the accuracy of a certain torque, equaling a certain tension, diminishes. Thats why a $10,000 tool (I'm not joking) will only get you within 5%.

Sorry to digress, but it was a little bit on topic, and it doesn't hurt to know a little more about why you should purchase and use a decent torque wrench.

Saga- You can put a lever arm extension on the end of your, larger, torque wrench to get up to 368 lb-ft. Provided you keep the extension lined up with the tool handle, the change in torque setting equation is really simple.
That's why they use TTY bolts (aka stretch bolts)....

TonyG
Old 03-27-2012, 01:53 PM
acorad
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fortysixandtwo

Could you explain a little more about how to do this?
Old 03-27-2012, 03:50 PM
fortysixandtwo
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by acorad
Could you explain a little more about how to do this?
Sure, but I'll be lazy and just post a link I found on the subject. It has all the same equation info that I would have type out, plus a torque calculator and diagrams.

http://www.freeinfostuff.com/TorqueE...eExtension.htm

Just remember to keep the tools' center lines, lined up. If the extension goes off at an angle, you'll have to calculate the distance from the handle center to the socket center. This can be done with a little geometry, but its easier to just keep the parts lined up.

Quick Reply: Rear axel bolts keep breaking?