Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turbo-and-turbo-s-forum-72/)
-   -   Cheap Axle Alternative (https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turbo-and-turbo-s-forum/686946-cheap-axle-alternative.html)

szabon 01-10-2013 03:48 PM

Just to be clear, these will fit both passenger and driver sides right? They are the same size?

rlets 01-10-2013 04:34 PM

Yes, same on both sides. I managed to get the van axles on my late offset car although they were a smidge longer than the old axles. I had the car on a lift and compressed the suspension with a floor jack and 2x4 to get the axle past the cup on the transmission.

The new axles performed nicely for my last 3 track days.

Rich

jasonlp 01-10-2013 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by eclou (Post 10103283)
well I got mine and tried to install them today (EMPI). Mine is an early offset 86 and they don't fit. They are maybe 1/4" too wide in the axle to clear the mounting cups. I can attach the outer CV joints to the wheelside but the length of the actual axle will not clear the cup on the transaxle. It is a smidge too wide.

You just need to angle it, I managed to get it on the passenger side with the trans cooler lines in the way :thumbup:

tman 01-10-2013 10:04 PM

I just broke one of these axles today. The axle shaft broke right inside the inner boot. I didn't really abuse it more than I have before but I guess it had enough.
I'd like to try the Lindsey motorsport axles but they are just so much money.
I'll order another empi axle for now.

refresh951 01-10-2013 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by tman (Post 10134329)
I just broke one of these axles today. The axle shaft broke right inside the inner boot. I didn't really abuse it more than I have before but I guess it had enough.
I'd like to try the Lindsey motorsport axles but they are just so much money.
I'll order another empi axle for now.

May want to use the OEM shaft with the empi cages. Blown 944 did this and had very good results.

tman 01-10-2013 10:36 PM

I wish I had the OEM shafts.

blown 944 01-10-2013 11:43 PM

Sucks but I'm not surprised. I think I only got 3-4 runs out of them.

There is a set in the NA forum.

xschop 01-11-2013 11:46 AM

I have a spare set of the 4340 axle shafts. They just need new CV's. I am weary of The Empi CV's because some have been mis-marked from the various suppliers and their cages slip over the inner race (off-road). I'd let these go for $325 shipped US -only. Just PM

eclou 01-11-2013 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by Rich L. (Post 10133506)
Yes, same on both sides. I managed to get the van axles on my late offset car although they were a smidge longer than the old axles. I had the car on a lift and compressed the suspension with a floor jack and 2x4 to get the axle past the cup on the transmission.

The new axles performed nicely for my last 3 track days.

Rich

I was either gonna try that or disconnect the rear shock (no torsion bars on mine) to jimmy it into place

tman 02-24-2013 09:02 PM

I'm thinking there must be differences in these axles. After breaking the axle and replacing it with a stock one using the Empi cv's, I today broke the cage in the passanger inner cv.
I'm pretty sure I'm not making the power Sid is and his are holding up.
I have a solid trans mount so its not because of it moving.
Are the stock cv's maybe stronger?

blown 944 02-24-2013 09:19 PM

are you getting a lot of wheel hop?

There may be some differences as I have found with other worldpac parts.

I am still wondering if you are getting some trans sway even with the solid mount. I am usign just a rubber mount and a brace off to the passenger side.

It could be driving habits as well. I don't really "dump" the clutch, I stil slip it, albeit agressively.

tman 02-24-2013 10:20 PM

No wheel hop, both times it broke was when I short shifted into second.
I don't really slip the clutch shifting into second.
I'll look into adding a brace on the bottom of the tranny.

pozican 02-25-2013 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by tman (Post 10251843)
No wheel hop, both times it broke was when I short shifted into second.
I don't really slip the clutch shifting into second.
I'll look into adding a brace on the bottom of the tranny.

The brace is to stop the transaxle from moving left / right??

fortysixandtwo 02-25-2013 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by pozican (Post 10253429)
The brace is to stop the transaxle from moving left / right??

It keeps the transaxle from rotating on the torque tube center line, but basically yes, it keeps the output flanges from moving right/left.

dmcampbell 02-25-2013 10:02 PM

Empi axles

Originally Posted by eclou (Post 10103283)
well I got mine and tried to install them today (EMPI). Mine is an early offset 86 and they don't fit. They are maybe 1/4" too wide in the axle to clear the mounting cups. I can attach the outer CV joints to the wheelside but the length of the actual axle will not clear the cup on the transaxle. It is a smidge too wide.

I lowered the trans by unbolting the trans cross mount which allowed enough lateral movement to install axles. Re-torque the bolts to only 34lbs. I have now used the axles for one track day and they performed well.