Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Stable wiper blades

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 04:52 PM
BF951
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Stable wiper blades

Might seem like a silly question but my blades are jumpy on any high speed secton. I used to have a little aero deflector on the traditional Bosch style wiper blade that seemed to keep things put but that disappeared.

Anyone have any experience with the single piece blades like the Bosch Aero wiper, are they any better at speed?
Old 03-19-2012, 05:59 PM
PEvans
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Bosch "beam" or flat blades are wonderful. I have them on my GMC truck and A6; I think probably the Icon but I don't remember for sure. I don't know if these fit our cars. My 951 has conventional metal wiper blades and by comparison they are worthless.

Also, try claying or polishing your windshield. I have not done this, but it makes sense that you would get a buildup of rubber after a while.
Old 03-19-2012, 08:02 PM
jc in rb
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How well do the bosch beam blades resist bacon'ing?I dont remember ever owning a car where the wipers didnt do that, and always on the drivers side............
Old 03-19-2012, 08:31 PM
zeusrotty
Pro

Audi TT wiper arms, and then you can use the nicer aero blades from Audi.
Old 03-19-2012, 09:47 PM
fortysixandtwo
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by zeusrotty
Audi TT wiper arms, and then you can use the nicer aero blades from Audi.
Are these direct replacement or are there some modifications needed? Any year TT?
Old 03-19-2012, 10:58 PM
BF951
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts

I'll give the Aero blades a shot, then replace the tired arms and springs if needed.
Thanks for the tips.
Old 03-20-2012, 02:33 AM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Bosch Icon are nice.
Old 03-20-2012, 02:40 AM
zeusrotty
Pro

Not sure what year TT... But I would be willing to bet they are all the same. No mods needed.
Old 03-20-2012, 09:43 AM
CurtP
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I didn't care for the beam blades on the 944, even with brand new 968 dual-spring arms. The main problem was with the passenger side - they don't flex enough to wrap around the windshield so they miss a huge area at the bottom of the sweep and the end sticks up when they're in the parked position. I've tried Bosch, Valeo and NeoForm (Trico) and they all had the same problem. Valeo was the least problematic (but it still missed the bottom outer edge of the passenger side). NeoForm was the worst, it would bow too much in the middle and miss a section on the driver's side too.

I've gone back to standard Bosch blades. It still misses the lower outer edge on the passenger side, but it's only 1.5" instead of 3" with the beams. I'm reluctant to try other blades since the majority of them are now made in China and the last Chinese blades I put on my Jeep lasted only a couple of months before falling apart.
Old 03-20-2012, 10:21 AM
kinglenario
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PEvans
Bosch "beam" or flat blades are wonderful. I have them on my GMC truck and A6; I think probably the Icon but I don't remember for sure. I don't know if these fit our cars. My 951 has conventional metal wiper blades and by comparison they are worthless.

Also, try claying or polishing your windshield. I have not done this, but it makes sense that you would get a buildup of rubber after a while.
+1 on the Bosch blade style. You can get them at the part store.
Old 03-20-2012, 10:24 AM
kinglenario
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CurtP
I didn't care for the beam blades on the 944, even with brand new 968 dual-spring arms. The main problem was with the passenger side - they don't flex enough to wrap around the windshield so they miss a huge area at the bottom of the sweep and the end sticks up when they're in the parked position. I've tried Bosch, Valeo and NeoForm (Trico) and they all had the same problem. Valeo was the least problematic (but it still missed the bottom outer edge of the passenger side). NeoForm was the worst, it would bow too much in the middle and miss a section on the driver's side too.

I've gone back to standard Bosch blades. It still misses the lower outer edge on the passenger side, but it's only 1.5" instead of 3" with the beams. I'm reluctant to try other blades since the majority of them are now made in China and the last Chinese blades I put on my Jeep lasted only a couple of months before falling apart.
That's weird, I don't have that problem at all with the bosch blades. They don't miss anything.
Old 03-20-2012, 10:41 AM
CurtP
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I never bothered to look, but are the 968 arms the exact same length as the 944? If they're a little longer, maybe that's why mine miss the outer lower edge of the passenger side. It annoys me enough that I'm considering using a shorter blade on the passenger side.
Old 03-20-2012, 11:55 AM
fortysixandtwo
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Another option would be to use rain-x. Any speed over 35mph will clear the windshield with no need to use the wipers.
Old 03-20-2012, 01:08 PM
Zeff
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use the blades but a shorter one on the passenger side to combat the missed spot.

Quick Reply: Stable wiper blades