Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Engine Cleaning

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 06:43 PM
Powered By Porscha
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Cleaning

My engine bay is starting to get a little dirty and I'm wondering whats the best way to go about cleaning it. At the BMW shop I work for, we always degrease and pressure wash the engine bay before we return the car to the customer. Of course the cars we work on are about 20 years newer and are well sealed. I'm just wondering if anyone here built up the courage to take a hose to their engine without water seeping into the electricals. I just got a bottle of Grime Reaper degreaser and I'm contemplating on weather or not I should hose down my engine bay or gently rinse and scrub off with a spray bottle of water and a brush.
Old 03-16-2012, 11:33 PM
zerMATT951
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would spray degreaser, scrub, and rinse with low-ish pressure hose and stay away from the TPS, AFM, and any other little plastic boxes with 'lectronics inside as much as you can :-)

You could probably use a pressure washer on the "frame" rails or other solid metal parts, but don't go near any electrical stuff or sensitive hoses.
Old 03-17-2012, 12:37 AM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Powered By Porscha
My engine bay is starting to get a little dirty and I'm wondering whats the best way to go about cleaning it. At the BMW shop I work for, we always degrease and pressure wash the engine bay before we return the car to the customer. Of course the cars we work on are about 20 years newer and are well sealed. I'm just wondering if anyone here built up the courage to take a hose to their engine without water seeping into the electricals. I just got a bottle of Grime Reaper degreaser and I'm contemplating on weather or not I should hose down my engine bay or gently rinse and scrub off with a spray bottle of water and a brush.
I would cover a lot or the sensitive areas with Aluminum foil ( also add to the list Distributor Cap etc.... Believe it or not I use a Big spray bottle filled with really hot water and after using decreasing( Oil Eater ) use the bottle sprayer with the Stream Spray setting on the bottle and blast the crap outta the greasy area....
I will not admit this but Gas really works well in really greasy areas ( non sensitive areas )
Regards
Ed

Originally Posted by zerMATT951
I would spray degreaser, scrub, and rinse with low-ish pressure hose and stay away from the TPS, AFM, and any other little plastic boxes with 'electronics inside as much as you can :-)
You could probably use a pressure washer on the "frame" rails or other solid metal parts, but don't go near any electrical stuff or sensitive hoses.
+1
Old 03-17-2012, 04:57 AM