Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

looking for... v 8 conversion

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2012, 12:40 PM
xschop
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Cantafordya....the only place that will destroy a farming community to possibly save a minnow.

Same quasi-science thinking with the 5.3 'truck" engine. I would put my money on it burning cleaner than the 4 cyl as well. The LS1 guys toss their heads to get the 5.3 heads because of the higher compression domes.
Old 03-14-2012, 12:54 PM
944V8inDFW
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do know someone that passed emissions with a 6.0 truck engine in Orange county. His approach was to say nothing about the transplant and no bling bling or butch up mess under the hood. Also went to the pains of painting the exaust so it didnt look new. Took the shell of the Porsche cat and welded it over new high flow cat. Had the odb2 port in the factory porsche diagnostic port location under the hood. Had flashed the VIN of the 944 into the computer. Passed with flying colors. Lucky or smart, not sure. This same guy aslo did a transplanted s10. His thoughts is if it looks like it belongs no questions. I have seen plenty of transplanted cars pass in Texas based on quick look under the hood and sniffer.

Moral of the story don't go get tested and beat your chest about a transplant (pun intended).
Old 03-14-2012, 01:17 PM
snora
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I coulda had a V8!

thanks for the input

Over the past 2-3 yrs I'd seen a couple of V 8 conversions here in the Bay area on C-list
but wasn't interested at the time

my current 87 951 was brought in from NV, so when I has it inspected here in the foothills, I was worried about the visual inspection

I modified an old stock j boot, jury rigged the SFR MAF to fit with the stock air box from my 86 951, ran some dummy vacuum hoses under the manifold from the throttle body IC, etc, trying to "stockify" as much as possible

Turned out it might not have been all that necessary; the smog guys had to get a diagram of the car's exhaust system from my mechanic because they had never seen a 951 and didn't know what they were looking at...

Even then I think they missed something, cause isn't there a tiny cat converter at the waste gate dump tube?

snora
Old 03-14-2012, 03:21 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by 944V8inDFW
I do know someone that passed emissions with a 6.0 truck engine in Orange county. His approach was to say nothing about the transplant...... don't go get tested and beat your chest about a transplant (pun intended).

very cool.

Originally Posted by V2Rocket_aka944

These laws are asinine, especially in the case of the GM stuff - Fock this place.

Spencer; just drop in my 968 engine and keep mum when you go for your next smog check.

Quick Reply: looking for... v 8 conversion