Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Bad coolant leak.

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2012, 02:09 AM
Dougs951S
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Bad coolant leak.

My 88 951 S is leaking coolant from the bottom driver side of the timing belt cover. It doesnt leak too bad until I drive the car and really lay into the boost and get everything nice and hot; then it gushes out; bad enough that it probably dumped atleast a gallon or more of coolant out the car while i drove it around today getting it inspected and whatnot. I ran the car dry of coolant today without knowing and had to drive it about a mile home with it overheating, but it seems fine so I'm not too worried about it. I'm going to start carrying a gallon of water with me in the back of the car so I can top it off if I ever have to again. Anyway, it seems to stop dripping shortly after I turn the engine off and I think the leak is related to the auxillary turbo water pump. The PO told me he thinks its the O ring inside, since the car did recently get a new water pump. It was also my understanding that a leak from the water pump would not be from the far driver side. There is no oil in the leak, its clear, clean coolant. So what am I looking at as far as replacing it? I've heard its a common failure on the turbo cars. Do you guys agree that that is the likely source of the leak?
Old 03-08-2012, 04:16 AM
F18Rep
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It could be all sorts of places, rent the pressure tester and be sure - I think I had 6 leaks alltogether...Bruce

Quick Reply: Bad coolant leak.