Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Track Pads

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 06:47 PM
zeusrotty
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Track Pads

gearing up for the DE season and was wondering what you track guy's recommend for track pads? the calipers are stock 87 Turbo calipers with steel braided lines... Car weighs 2,840 pounds.
Old 02-29-2012, 07:05 PM
67King
Race Car

Been using Hawk Blues for DE's. Pretty good pad for the price, but I know a lot of people don't like them. I have stepped up to HTC-60's for racing. Come to think of it, might have a set of nearly new blues I took off of my 968. If interested, let me know and I'll see.
Old 02-29-2012, 08:03 PM
zeusrotty
Pro

Are those the blue 9012 or the MT04's Also, how much did you want for them?
Old 02-29-2012, 09:34 PM
67King
Race Car

9012's. Let me dig them up.
Old 02-29-2012, 10:19 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

I'm a pretty big fan of the Performance Friction PF97 compound. Ran them on my racebikes for years - and now run them when I DE my car (stock calipers, braided lines, SRF fluid.) No fading, held out all day (me + my wife driving) with no issues. I see you're in Naperville - so for a possible meaningful comparison for you, I got down into the 1:22's at Blackhawk on 'em and had zero issues.

The only thing that SUCKS about them is the brake dust. Get it wet and the stuff is harder than concrete! I swap them out for OE pads when not at the track.
Old 02-29-2012, 10:25 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

I'd advise considering the PFC 01's f and 97's rear...(or perhaps the 06's front). The bite is amazing, they're not too expensive and they don't need to be bedded in.

+1 on the dust. Clean them off during the day at the track makes life much easier...but a worthwhile compromise for the stopping power.
Old 02-29-2012, 10:30 PM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 86 Likes on 72 Posts

Hawk DTC-70 front / DTC-60 rear.

Blues are hard on rotors.
Old 02-29-2012, 10:40 PM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The PFC are really good on stock calipers but they will have a good amount of rotor wear and dust if you use them hard. The dust turns to a concrete like material if it get wet so it is best to blow them off as soon as you get done.

No disrespect Patrick, but you should always bed in performance pads. I have seen several cars go right off track because they didn't spend the time to properly set and bed the pads. It doesn't take that long and is simple to do. I do 5-6 brakes stop & goes on a service road and then allow time for the rotors to cool off. Then I go out at the back of the pack and do the rest of the bedding on the warmup lap.
http://www.performancefrictionbrakes....php?pageId=18

Tim. I was thinking about using Hawk DTC-70 this year, hear good things about them. What is you input?
Old 02-29-2012, 11:04 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pagid blue RS 4-2's are great for the track as well as for the street. I raced them for years with very little noise.

TonyG
Old 02-29-2012, 11:21 PM
Dubai944
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

If it's not exclusively a track car, pads like the DTC70 and PFC01 might be more aggressive than you want for rotor wear and cold street performance.

I have used Hawk DTC-70s front and rear for two race seasons. Best pad I have used so far. Lots of bite but very controllable. I replace my rotors each season.

I previously used PFC01s which were also a good pad as far as performance, but for some reason the pad blocks were developing fine cracks and parts of the pad would start chunking off as soon as they were more than about 20% worn. Never had this problem with the DTC70s.

Your brake setup, (bias and rotor,caliper size and type etc) as well as tire choice will also affect what works best on your car as well.
Old 02-29-2012, 11:26 PM
Musche
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

May be a little overkill for DE but I use Pagid yellows on front and orange on back. I may try the Hawks this year to save a couple bucks.
Old 02-29-2012, 11:43 PM
zeusrotty
Pro

I ended up talking to a buddy of mine here in Chicago. Ed Nork. I have used DTC 70's before on my Audi S4 (which is gone) and I liked them... But I did go ahead and bought front and rear HT 10's. That was Ed's recommendation. I am usually at Autobahn, so they should work well there. If King finds those blues I will probably buy them also for one of the weekends at Road America...
Dubai, where is the full size image of the front of your car? I looked for it and couldn't find it.
Old 03-01-2012, 12:07 AM
Dubai944
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by zeusrotty
Dubai, where is the full size image of the front of your car? I looked for it and couldn't find it.
Here's a few from last year. The bodywork was tidied up and it was repainted white recently but I don't have any pics of that handy.

Old 03-01-2012, 12:17 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian Broderick
The PFC are really good on stock calipers but they will have a good amount of rotor wear and dust if you use them hard. The dust turns to a concrete like material if it get wet so it is best to blow them off as soon as you get done.

No disrespect Patrick, but you should always bed in performance pads. I have seen several cars go right off track because they didn't spend the time to properly set and bed the pads. It doesn't take that long and is simple to do. I do 5-6 brakes stop & goes on a service road and then allow time for the rotors to cool off. Then I go out at the back of the pack and do the rest of the bedding on the warmup lap.
http://www.performancefrictionbrakes....php?pageId=18

Tim. I was thinking about using Hawk DTC-70 this year, hear good things about them. What is you input?
Well to be honest I do bed them in anyway but PF claim that you don't need to. You're right though Brian, always worth doing.
Originally Posted by Dubai944
If it's not exclusively a track car, pads like the DTC70 and PFC01 might be more aggressive than you want for rotor wear and cold street performance.

I have used Hawk DTC-70s front and rear for two race seasons. Best pad I have used so far. Lots of bite but very controllable. I replace my rotors each season.

I previously used PFC01s which were also a good pad as far as performance, but for some reason the pad blocks were developing fine cracks and parts of the pad would start chunking off as soon as they were more than about 20% worn. Never had this problem with the DTC70s.

Your brake setup, (bias and rotor,caliper size and type etc) as well as tire choice will also affect what works best on your car as well.
That's true Steve. I did use these on my car when it was road / track and the performance was very good when it was on the car with ABS, but they did get a bit too much when I switched to a non ABS version.
Old 03-01-2012, 12:52 AM
IanM
Burning Brakes

I run PFC01 front / PFC97 rear. Fantastic pads. I have also run Ferodo DS2500 (good street/track compromise but can overheat on track) and Ferodo DS3000 (great bite, but high rotor wear). I buy mine at http://www.raceshopper.com

Quick Reply: Track Pads