Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Anybody ever had their wastegate valve fall out?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 01:52 AM
Droops83
Three Wheelin'

Received 76 Likes on 64 Posts
Default Anybody ever had their wastegate valve fall out?

I was at a POC track event at Streets of Willow Springs this weekend in my 951 (engine is bone stock, running stock boost level) and I was having intermittent lack of power/boost issues all day, and by the end of the day I had no boost whatsoever, and I could hear an exhaust leak, but could not find it and drove home with no boost (in case you are wondering, a 951 is REALLY slow without boost!).

I put it on the lift tonight and unbolted the wastegate outlet pipe so that I could watch the valve while applying air pressure to the signal line nipple, only to discover that the valve was not there! I found it in the exhaust pipe resting against the inlet screen of the cat. No wonder the exhaust was rattling on the way home! Luckily I have a couple spare wastegates at the shop, one of which was good and I am back on the road with full boost.

I have not taken the original wastegate apart yet (threaded end of the valve is intact, would only partially thread back in) but I have never seen this happen to a wastegate, 951 or 930 (I work at a Porsche shop). Has anybody else experienced this?
Old 02-28-2012, 02:23 AM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 93 Likes on 55 Posts

is the wastegate shimmed?
Old 02-28-2012, 02:37 AM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I actually have had this happen when i first got my car. Mine too was found in the exhaust. The shop suggested that the wastegate may have been taken apart and reinstalled at some point, and when it was reassembled perhaps the valve was not installed properly.
Old 02-28-2012, 02:42 AM
Droops83
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by lart951
is the wastegate shimmed?
I don't think so, it would only boost to ~10 PSI before this happened (verified by real boost gauge), and I bought the car from the original owner who never modified it. I will take the WG apart the rest of the way tomorrow to check it out, but I doubt that it has ever been apart. If somebody HAD taken it apart recently, that would explain this, but I have driven the car for ~60K miles and this suddenly happened yesterday.
Old 02-28-2012, 03:44 AM
alxdgr8
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

Time to upgrade to an aftermarket one! They work in the opposite manner so you shouldn't have this problem.
Old 02-28-2012, 11:04 AM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

I have a nice used Lindsey Club Gate (single port) if you're interested.
Old 02-28-2012, 12:55 PM
teamcrossworks
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Having taken apart my share of wastegates...the valve is threaded into the diaphragm housing and can come loose from vibration like any other bolt can . Clean up the threads, apply some thread lock, tighten and should be good as new.
Old 02-29-2012, 01:22 AM
Droops83
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Van
I have a nice used Lindsey Club Gate (single port) if you're interested.
Thanks, I will keep this in mind, as I will be keeping things stock for now to stay in class for POC . . . . but I did have a good used stock WG on the shelf and I am back on the road with full boost. I will contact you if this one acts up!

Originally Posted by teamcrossworks
Having taken apart my share of wastegates...the valve is threaded into the diaphragm housing and can come loose from vibration like any other bolt can . Clean up the threads, apply some thread lock, tighten and should be good as new.
Thank you, I did try this first, but the diaphragm turned out to be toast as well. Thank goodness I have a bunch of spare 951 stuff laying around!
Old 02-29-2012, 11:43 AM
JustinL
Drifting

Received 184 Likes on 102 Posts

I've had this happen too. It was a good excuse to go to a tial.

Quick Reply: Anybody ever had their wastegate valve fall out?