Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Rogue or vitesse maf?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2012, 12:23 AM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 533 Likes on 287 Posts

I am a very happy Vitesse user, and have confidence in John as a career software professional. I have never tried Rogues MAF so cannot compare, and suspect there are very few people who have actually tried both. Vitesse was the first system to offer True-MAF code over a decade ago and Vitesse's system has been time-tested on streets and tracks all over the country, and all over the world, to provide a safe, powerful, track-worthy system that idles like a factory car, right at 840+/-, and remains well within the strictest emissions limits in the country here in California. Vitesse's MAF can be run without a piggyback, but I have to say the piggyback is nice to have. Although you don't "need" to adjust fuel, it helps to be able to fine tune to your particular application. It can also provide a number of other functions, including data logging, ignition timing control, boost control, etc., all of which can then be integrated with your tune. Vitesse's system has a true "track record" in every sense of those words.

Having said all that, no disrepect intended at all toward Rogue. I am honestly thankful to any and all folks who take the time and efffort to produce quality products for our long-forgotten cars, and I assume there is good reason Rogue has produced such a loyal following in such short order.

Last edited by Tom M'Guinn; 02-26-2012 at 11:44 AM.
Old 02-25-2012, 12:27 AM
zerMATT951
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I really like my M-Tune. It was easy to install and just plain WORKS. I shopped Vitesse several years ago and the prices were crazy, so I bought Autothority and limped along. Now that I've got the M-Tune, life is easy, and Joshua is hard at work making improvements to this young solution.

The other very cool thing is support, both to the buyer and to future owners. For instance, my brother bought a 951 last weekend that already had M-Tune installed. I emailed Joshua to ask how support works for transfer owners, his response was something like "send me the new owner's contact info and that's who I'll communicate with and send chip updates to as they become available." That's tough to beat.
Old 02-25-2012, 01:15 AM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 47 Posts

Guys
This is a thread that only starts pissing contests
I can't comment on Rouge's products, as I never had any of his products in my car
However, I do have Vitesse's (John's) products in my car and I have to say, they are worth every penny!!
If you were to look at the guys, who have been on this board for close to 10 years now, and in my belief, are the most knowledgeable ...
It's hands down Vitesse !! HANDS DOWN !
The list is long, and very deep with experience and knowledge. I don't think that's just by chance...
That's the advice I was lucky enough receive and follow, and I am very happy for it.
But you could probably save a few dollars, and you may never know, what could have been
Good luck, whatever you decide ....
Best regards
Ed
Originally Posted by dizzyj
why do you need a piggyback if the tune already handles true maf conversion?
That is a question for those, that I mentioned in my post....
but from my experience, it provides flexibility.....
To tune exactly the way you want....
If it's not a valuable asset, why would other vendors be offering it down the road
Old 02-25-2012, 05:24 AM
alxdgr8
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 35 Posts

Neither is my vote! I've been down that road and thankfully saw the light.
Old 02-25-2012, 05:27 AM
brandon19761
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by alxdgr8
Neither is my vote! I've been down that road and thankfully saw the light.
So your vote must be stand alone..... I just don't want to mess with that just yet..
Old 02-25-2012, 05:34 AM
reno808
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by zerMATT951
I really like my M-Tune. It was easy to install and just plain WORKS. I shopped Vitesse several years ago and the prices were crazy, so I bought Autothority and limped along. Now that I've got the M-Tune, life is easy, and Joshua is hard at work making improvements to this young solution.

The other very cool thing is support, both to the buyer and to future owners. For instance, my brother bought a 951 last weekend that already had M-Tune installed. I emailed Joshua to ask how support works for transfer owners, his response was something like "send me the new owner's contact info and that's who I'll communicate with and send chip updates to as they become available." That's tough to beat.
Oh dam you cant beat that. I remember when i bought my Vitesse kit from a lister that lost the instructions, John V wanted me to pay a crazy amount for them. He did not really offer any help unless i paid him a crazy amount.
Old 02-25-2012, 07:22 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 76 Posts

I really dislike these X vs Y threads. It gets very cliquey and vitriolic. I've dealt with both of these guys and they both offer great products and support. Either choice is a good one but don't turn it into a forum brawl. It's really unnecessary. We should be very thankful that vendors like this exist in our little corner of the performance car world. Without them, we'd be left behind in the dark ages. The 'Us vs You' chest beating does nothing but make people want to walk away from our cars. Believe it or not, these guys are not making millions off their products. Live and let live.
Old 02-25-2012, 07:38 AM
Stephencs601
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Its all about customer service. I have never owned or know anyone with a vitesse system. I am sure it is great. That is why there are choices out there. But customer service always wins in the end. I went with Rogue, as Joshua is truely great to speak too. You do see what the car is called now.
Old 02-25-2012, 07:49 AM
carlege
Drifting

Originally Posted by reno808
Oh dam you cant beat that. I remember when i bought my Vitesse kit from a lister that lost the instructions, John V wanted me to pay a crazy amount for them. He did not really offer any help unless i paid him a crazy amount.
I believe you have pointed out the only difference between the 2 vendors. If you buy from them first hand i doubt there will be any issues. but second hand you would want to buy from josh
Old 02-25-2012, 02:11 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by carlege
I believe you have pointed out the only difference between the 2 vendors. If you buy from them first hand i doubt there will be any issues. but second hand you would want to buy from josh
There are other differences of course. By all reports, Rogue is cheaper, which is important to a lot of people. Vitesse has a longer track record and I believe (someone correct me if I'm wrong) more features -- e.g., 6 maps on board, user set rpm and boost limits, boost control, data logging and monitoring, MAP fault notice, fuel and timing control based on multiple inputs, etc. I'm sure they are both great to work with -- and both obviously have happy customers -- so I think it really comes down to what you are looking for in a MAF system.
Old 02-25-2012, 02:12 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by 333pg333
I really dislike these X vs Y threads. It gets very cliquey and vitriolic. I've dealt with both of these guys and they both offer great products and support. Either choice is a good one but don't turn it into a forum brawl. It's really unnecessary. We should be very thankful that vendors like this exist in our little corner of the performance car world. Without them, we'd be left behind in the dark ages. The 'Us vs You' chest beating does nothing but make people want to walk away from our cars. Believe it or not, these guys are not making millions off their products. Live and let live.
+100000000
Old 02-25-2012, 03:06 PM
porshhhh951
Monkeys Removed by Request
Lifetime Rennlist

*long post*

I ran Vitesse V-flex system in my old car and I was extremely happy with it. Unfortunately for tuners and supporters of this platform the customer base that was buying these cars 10-12 years ago isn't the same one today as most of those have moved on to newer platforms. The average user of this platform today will probably be extremely cost prohibited and might even be a huge DYI guy to make up the difference. You can't fault any vendor for wanting to protect their own hard work. John's kits where the first of their kind for our cars and his track record has been proven. An owner that paid near the same amount to buy the car that john's kit costs is probably going to be hesitant to go that route. With that being said his products have a great track record and his support is fantastic. John would talk to me at 10pm on a Sunday for pete's sake.

I do not have any personal experience with Rogue's products because he was just getting started when I redid the combo on my car. His customers seem to be happy with their product and the support seems to be there. You really need to ask yourself what are your goals with your combo and what are you interested in spending. These questions might help narrow your search. As for me I didn't mind spending the money on a proven plug and play product and I could care less about people buying 2nd and 3rd hand kits and complaining about not getting support for free. If I buy a car off of an individual and it's not covered under warranty I can't expect to drive into the dealership and to receive service for free as if I bought the car from there. That sort of thinking is childish and not realistic.
Old 02-25-2012, 03:42 PM
reno808
Rennlist Member

getting instructions is not warranty. Zitronix, Link, Motec, Power Perfect, All of lindsey racing stuff, tec3, haltech, msd, aeromotive, holly, edlebrock and the list goes on. they have instructions online and free updates both software and firmware. I often look up the instructions before i buy things to make sure i can do it and if i need anything else that i might not have. I had a vendor on here send me the updated part (hardware) because it was the updated part. $250 for instructions is crazy.

Josh great job on help on the others
Old 02-25-2012, 03:56 PM
brandon19761
Instructor

Not trying to start a vendor war here. Just wanted to know peoples experiences with both maf's. They both sound like excellent choices. I just want to go with the unit that will work the best without tweeking, etc.... I'm not concerned about the cost, just want to go with the one that will perform without having to adjust much if any...

I guess in order to buy the Vitesse you have to call them?
Old 02-25-2012, 04:04 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by reno808
$250 for instructions is crazy.
John has always sent me copies of instructions for free. Many of them are unique to my system, however, and would do more harm than good I'm sure if followed by others. That said, I don't know what he does for second-hand buyers, but suspect it probably depends on the situation and person asking.

Quick Reply: Rogue or vitesse maf?