Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Turbo upgrade=more lag?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 04:35 PM
dnovak
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am not trying to be disrespectful but get rid of the KKK all together. Holset is the best option. The bearings are tough, no need for water, 60lbs a min, best setup IMO. my HY35HX35T3 is super sick
I will be building a few of them for the header setup with double piston rings on the oil side for proper sealing
Old 02-24-2012, 04:42 PM
dnovak
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

maybe not the best option but a really darn good option
Old 02-24-2012, 05:22 PM
NZ951
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I think peeps in general need to let go of the value of bolt on turbos. The turbo characteristics significantly define your driving experience, and lads, we are talking about changing a flange to open up other very sweet options, like the Garrett T04Z and the new GT35x range etc...
Old 02-24-2012, 09:47 PM
brandon19761
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My wastegate is fine. It's a brand new Dual port LR unit. New billet LR blow off valve. Maybe this turbo is bigger than I'm giving it credit for so I'm expecting faster spool...? 53#min..? When I had emailed Lindsey racing I said I wanted a larger turbo good for around 400hp but without much more lag. And they recommended the Super53 with stg 3 turbine... Also had one on the shelf maybe that's why..... I did notice what sounded like the bypass valve fluttering at more than 15psi like it couldn't hold back the boost...
Old 02-24-2012, 09:52 PM
NZ951
Race Director

Originally Posted by brandon19761
My wastegate is fine. It's a brand new Dual port LR unit. New billet LR blow off valve. Maybe this turbo is bigger than I'm giving it credit for so I'm expecting faster spool...? 53#min..? When I had emailed Lindsey racing I said I wanted a larger turbo good for around 400hp but without much more lag. And they recommended the Super53 with stg 3 turbine... Also had one on the shelf maybe that's why..... I did notice what sounded like the bypass valve fluttering at more than 15psi like it couldn't hold back the boost...
Maybe you said, but did you go with the 8 or 10 hotside?

I didnt a back to back 8 hotside and Garrett .63, and the Garrett left the 8 for dead, more power and significantly higher over the rev range. You will struggle to get 400WHP with the 8 I would have thought without a hell of a lot of boost.

Keep in mind the "Super 53" is just a T04E, nothing overly flash.
Old 02-24-2012, 10:06 PM
brandon19761
Instructor

Originally Posted by NZ951
Maybe you said, but did you go with the 8 or 10 hotside?

I didnt a back to back 8 hotside and Garrett .63, and the Garrett left the 8 for dead, more power and significantly higher over the rev range. You will struggle to get 400WHP with the 8 I would have thought without a hell of a lot of boost.

Keep in mind the "Super 53" is just a T04E, nothing overly flash.
I think it's the #8 hot side (whatever a stage 3 turbine is). I figured if the "super 48" is good for 400ish hp then the "53" would be ok for my goals...
I'm still running the stock downpipe though. Maybe that is the culprit??
Old 02-24-2012, 10:09 PM
brandon19761
Instructor

Originally Posted by Motosport
Paulyy,

From what I have read about bolt on turbo upgrades for our cars, and with your last statement in mind, it really does seem like a hybrid K26/TO4E turbo is a great and straight forward upgrade. Which one of these two turbo's will provide the best spool up characteristics, power band and reliability.?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/250998749240...ht_1492wt_1189

Or:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/250998751921...ht_1296wt_1189

I'm aware of Barefoot's slightly shady reputation, but as far as I'm aware its mostly related to costumer service, late shipping etc, and not so much his parts or work itself. And I have a friend who's going to Florida next month, who can collect the turbo and bring it back to Europe. So as long as the turbo is good its no problem..

My car is a mostly stock '89 Turbo with A-tune, boost enhancer and shimmed wastegate, and further planned upgrades are M-tune, 3" exhaust, dual port wastegate and turbo.

I don't want to hijack this tread, but I thought this might be of interest to OP..

Alex.
Thanks but I don't think either of those are much different than what I have already....?
Old 02-24-2012, 10:10 PM
NZ951
Race Director

I think it's the #8 hot side (whatever a stage 3 turbine is). I figured if the "super 48" is good for 400ish hp then the "53" would be ok for my goals...
I'm still running the stock downpipe though. Maybe that is the culprit??
Not a great turbo choice in my opinion for 400WHP... but in terms of the exhaust, yup you want as little back pressure as possible, so any exhaust improvements like that will help. This goes to my point, saving on a flange buy getting a bolt on turbo doesnt really matter when you have to go and change things like the downpipe etc... The KKK turbine housings in my experience are pretty poor compared to the garrett stuff.
Old 02-24-2012, 10:43 PM
brandon19761
Instructor

Not a great turbo choice in my opinion for 400WHP... but in terms of the exhaust, yup you want as little back pressure as possible, so any exhaust improvements like that will help. This goes to my point, saving on a flange buy getting a bolt on turbo doesnt really matter when you have to go and change things like the downpipe etc... The KKK turbine housings in my experience are pretty poor compared to the garrett stuff.
So there really is no super performing "bolt on" turbo for us really is there...?
I just hate having to have things such as exhaust's flanges custom fit/welded etc..... There's really not much in my area for that kind of work. Unless you have a Mustang, Corvette, etc yuck!!!. around here you're kind of on your own so I always try to go the bolt on route even if it is $pendy....
Old 02-24-2012, 11:53 PM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Motosport
Paulyy,

From what I have read about bolt on turbo upgrades for our cars, and with your last statement in mind, it really does seem like a hybrid K26/TO4E turbo is a great and straight forward upgrade. Which one of these two turbo's will provide the best spool up characteristics, power band and reliability.?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/250998749240...ht_1492wt_1189

Or:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/250998751921...ht_1296wt_1189

I'm aware of Barefoot's slightly shady reputation, but as far as I'm aware its mostly related to costumer service, late shipping etc, and not so much his parts or work itself. And I have a friend who's going to Florida next month, who can collect the turbo and bring it back to Europe. So as long as the turbo is good its no problem..

My car is a mostly stock '89 Turbo with A-tune, boost enhancer and shimmed wastegate, and further planned upgrades are M-tune, 3" exhaust, dual port wastegate and turbo.

I don't want to hijack this tread, but I thought this might be of interest to OP..

Alex.
Alex, I'd go for the 1st one. pretty much what i was talking about. the 2nd one will lag a lot with the stage 5 turbine wheel.

I think peeps in general need to let go of the value of bolt on turbos. The turbo characteristics significantly define your driving experience, and lads, we are talking about changing a flange to open up other very sweet options, like the Garrett T04Z and the new GT35x range etc...
Don't you think a gt35 is a bit to big for a 2.5L that dosn't rev past 6500 rpm?
Old 02-24-2012, 11:54 PM
brandon19761
Instructor

Maybe I should invest in a 3" downpipe and have the headers/crossover piping coated before dropping the super53....? Just don't wanna spend that $ and still want a different turbo is all. I may just have to go dbb. I just really like the dry setup since I don't track the car...
Old 02-25-2012, 01:04 AM
NZ951
Race Director

Originally Posted by Paulyy
Don't you think a gt35 is a bit to big for a 2.5L that dosn't rev past 6500 rpm?
A lot depends on the exact setup, but I have seen many 2.0 Japanese motors run the GT35 to great effect, to put it into perspective a mates 1.6 is running a GT30 to 533WHP.

If I was to do it again, I would go for a GT50/35 with .84 hotside and run E85 and wind it up!
Old 02-25-2012, 01:05 AM
NZ951
Race Director

So there really is no super performing "bolt on" turbo for us really is there...?
I just hate having to have things such as exhaust's flanges custom fit/welded etc..... There's really not much in my area for that kind of work. Unless you have a Mustang, Corvette, etc yuck!!!. around here you're kind of on your own so I always try to go the bolt on route even if it is $pendy....
Im not sure if Vitesse still makes turbo's? But he had a pretty decent range of bolt on kits back in the day.
Old 02-25-2012, 01:50 AM
74goldtarga
Pro

Received 124 Likes on 68 Posts

John (Vitesse) does make turbos and is very helpful and responsive to questions - the OP should send an email to him. In fairness I have gotten good help from Mike Lindsey via email as well. Charlie at Evergreen was very helpful as well via phone. The 53 you have is a pretty good bolt-on option I think from what little I know - my understanding is that the MAF upgrade you are also considering will help the lag but I am still waiting to see that for myself.
Old 02-25-2012, 03:42 AM
brandon19761
Instructor

Originally Posted by 74goldtarga
John (Vitesse) does make turbos and is very helpful and responsive to questions - the OP should send an email to him. In fairness I have gotten good help from Mike Lindsey via email as well. Charlie at Evergreen was very helpful as well via phone. The 53 you have is a pretty good bolt-on option I think from what little I know - my understanding is that the MAF upgrade you are also considering will help the lag but I am still waiting to see that for myself.
Yeah. Maybe I will try the 53 with a 3" dp and either the Vitesse, or Rogue maf so I'm not running overly rich and see how it does. I just hate swapping turbos out on these cars. Wish it was as easy as my DSM's.... Oh well tough love pays off in the end.

Quick Reply: Turbo upgrade=more lag?