Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

CV joint/halfshaft questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 11:51 PM
superloaf
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default CV joint/halfshaft questions

car is '86 951. just wondering if the 86 turbo halfshafts are the same part as used on the NA 944 and if so, did it change on the late offset 87 and up cars? i've seen conflicting information and just want to figure out exactly which parts i can use when replacing mine.

also, i've had these cv joints and driveshafts since i've had the car (since 50k miles and now have 156k). not sure how old they were when i bought the car but at least 105k miles on them. changed out tranny a few years ago and switched rotation on them to even out wear. so my question is: when cv joints get old and get slack in them, what does that feel like? and does that mean they are about to pop or can they last quite a while still?

thanks
Old 02-22-2012, 12:23 AM
audiojoe1
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently had a knocking noise coming from the drivers side cv joint. The noise got worse so I replaced it with one from Autozone. Big mistake, left me on the side of the road. Was back under the car last weekend replacing it with an OEM one. Sometimes you can get away with repacking the boots with grease. If you get a new one, don't buy cheap!
Old 02-22-2012, 10:53 AM
blown 944
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Check how far the shaft protrudes out the flange. If the ***** are more than 25% out then I'd worry about tgem

Quick Reply: CV joint/halfshaft questions