Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Turbo Advice- BorgWarner & Garrett

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2012, 10:11 PM
Darud35
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice! Looks like a Garrett? Did you fabricate the crossovers? Biggest question, are you happy with the results?
Old 02-08-2012, 10:23 PM
thingo
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Yea a forced performance garrett type, I had the crossover fabricated, works well, but it was a lot of trouble.
Old 02-08-2012, 10:42 PM
Darud35
Advanced

Can you elaborate on the troubles? I know running a GT series can be a pain (obviously no need to fabricate an entire crossover and can run a single wastegate). Was layout space a big challenge?

Sorry for all the questions! I found a great deal on the BW with turbosupplycenter.com they're even offering $100 off making it a $560 turbo. Add about $500 for wastegates and another $100 in materials. Is that comparable to the Holset?
Old 02-08-2012, 10:54 PM
pole position
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Darud35
Can you elaborate on the troubles? I know running a GT series can be a pain (obviously no need to fabricate an entire crossover and can run a single wastegate). Was layout space a big challenge?

Sorry for all the questions! I found a great deal on the BW with turbosupplycenter.com they're even offering $100 off making it a $560 turbo. Add about $500 for wastegates and another $100 in materials. Is that comparable to the Holset?
Are you a fabricator with tools ?

$100 in materials ? Flanges, 321/304, V bands etc are more than that. How are you going to mount it ? Quality oil drain/supply lines even DIY are not cheap.

No disrespect but the questions you are asking suggest that you are in over your head and I get the feeling you think you can get a custom turbo solution for cheap.......

It is not overly difficult to fabricate down/cross over pipes if you have some metal experience, just time consuming.
Old 02-08-2012, 11:07 PM
Darud35
Advanced

Originally Posted by pole position
Are you a fabricator with tools ?

$100 in materials ? Flanges, 321/304, V bands etc are more than that. How are you going to mount it ? Quality oil drain/supply lines even DIY are not cheap.

No disrespect but the questions you are asking suggest that you are in over your head and I get the feeling you think you can get a custom turbo solution for cheap.......

It is not overly difficult to fabricate down/cross over pipes if you have some metal experience, just time consuming.
No disrespect taken.

I was in formula SAE for over 2 years in college and played a big role in the fabrication of our tube frame, among other things of course. I have a 220 Lincoln mig and CNC mill/lathe access. No bender unfortunately but can probably find a friend to help, or go the route of pre-bent sections welded together.

Good call on the lines. Didn't think about those. I know how expensive ss lines can be not to mention the price of fittings.

I'm set on a new turbo, I just want to find the right compromise of price, function, and reliability (considering I truly enjoy the fabrication aspects).

I appreciate the input!
Old 02-08-2012, 11:13 PM
pole position
Burning Brakes

^
Great , it should not be a problem then.

I would use the Mig to tack the sections and backpurge/Tig it afterwards. I also recommend going 321. The factory headers are a good design but age is catching up with them, make sure that you have no leaks.
Old 02-08-2012, 11:14 PM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

have a look at my build thread, shows you most of the things that needed to be done.
Old 02-08-2012, 11:36 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 76 Posts

FOD? I can guess what that means. This was on the car like that at the time of the video shown. Guess if it can close on a rapid GT3 it's not too bad.
Old 02-09-2012, 03:16 AM
AL951
Racer

Why not go with twinscroll, and used it as a VGT. Since your are going to do all the fabrication anyway. Of course you would still need a WG to control MAX boost, but it would have excellent low speed response and low back-pressure at the top.

Regards,
AL
Old 02-09-2012, 04:18 AM
Thom
Race Car

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by thingo
I had the crossover fabricated, works well, but it was a lot of trouble.
I would be interested to hear more about it.

The way I see it, the cross pipe should be halved in two ducts, but I see a big problem with the location of the wastegate link as both inner ducts would have to bend 90° to dump equal gas flow into the wastegate then bend back 90° again to align with the turbine inlet ports... Sounds like a major PITA to make, at least if retaining the WG in the stock location.

Edit :just found Sid's thread. Not sure where he linked the wastegate?
Sorry for derailing the thread somehow.

Last edited by Thom; 02-09-2012 at 04:35 AM.
Old 02-09-2012, 05:23 AM
thingo
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

We just put the wastegates at the other end of the crossover, even rhd has a fair bit of space where the crossover joins the headers, enough room for two of those little tials.
I'll post up a pic when I get home.
Old 02-09-2012, 02:31 PM
Full-Race Geoff
6th Gear

Originally Posted by 333pg333
Geoff, just a bit OT. How much different / better are the new EFR turbos over the older S362 ETT turbos? How available are the EFRs now? They seem to be still hard to obtain from what I've read.
the performance I've seen from the EFR turbochargers is unlike anything else weve ever tested. the combination of top notch blade aero + high end ceramic BB + titanium aluminide turbine wheel truly works. The availability is nonexistant at the moment - and will continue to be that way for at least a couple more months. The good news is that once this period is behind us, we will have consistent supply. The integrated recirc valve, and twinscroll w/ internal WG is really attractive... in fact im using this setup in my personal car.

Originally Posted by Scott H
The trouble with a twin scroll on our cars is that you then have to run two pipes in that same confined space. It can be done, Sid (blown944), I believe, has done it with a Holset.
the 944 engine bay & turbo configuration is actually somewhat similar to our kit we build for Subaru Sti. here is a photo of our twinscroll setup for the STi for comparison:

Originally Posted by Darud35
I spoke with one of the engineers at full-race today and he got me interested in the twin scroll BW. Has anyone seen it done on our cars? I know it will require some serious modifications as well as two wastegates. Price wise it should still be less than the cost of a GT series and the required adapters with better spool time.
Hi andrew - nice speaking with you yesterday. As i mentioned, if you purchase the turbo and wastegates from Full-Race I am happy to help you setup the twinscroll crossover pipe. If you decide to purchase that turbo from the other website you linked it will likely require you to purchase different housings which will bring the price to where i quoted you

I run a twin scroll set up, it is a bit easier with rhd. Works well for me.
great to hear - which turbine housing are you using on your HTA30 to make it twinscroll

We just put the wastegates at the other end of the crossover, even rhd has a fair bit of space where the crossover joins the headers, enough room for two of those little tials.
I'll post up a pic when I get home.
looking forward to seeing these photos.
Old 02-09-2012, 03:03 PM
86 951 Driver
Race Car

Originally Posted by Full-Race Geoff
the performance I've seen from the EFR turbochargers is unlike anything else weve ever tested. the combination of top notch blade aero + high end ceramic BB + titanium aluminide turbine wheel truly works. The availability is nonexistant at the moment - and will continue to be that way for at least a couple more months. The good news is that once this period is behind us, we will have consistent supply. The integrated recirc valve, and twinscroll w/ internal WG is really attractive... in fact im using this setup in my personal car.

the 944 engine bay & turbo configuration is actually somewhat similar to our kit we build for Subaru Sti. here is a photo of our twinscroll setup for the STi for comparison:

Hi andrew - nice speaking with you yesterday. As i mentioned, if you purchase the turbo and wastegates from Full-Race I am happy to help you setup the twinscroll crossover pipe. If you decide to purchase that turbo from the other website you linked it will likely require you to purchase different housings which will bring the price to where i quoted you

great to hear - which turbine housing are you using on your HTA30 to make it twinscroll

looking forward to seeing these photos.
Are you talking about making a crossover pipe so we can run a bolt in Twin Scroll turbo?
Old 02-09-2012, 03:40 PM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

All this talk of BW and no mention of VTG???
Old 02-09-2012, 04:30 PM
pole position
Burning Brakes

The question is if Full race is willing to do the R&D for a almost 30 year old platform in the 951 and produce a bolt on solution for a twin scroll set up at a competitive price point similar to their various import offerings.

Quick Reply: Turbo Advice- BorgWarner & Garrett