Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Turbo Advice- BorgWarner & Garrett

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2012, 10:31 AM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Too bad shipping that turbo up here would offset the savings, although it would save a considerable amount of time!
Old 02-08-2012, 12:10 PM
reno808
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Patrick PM SENT
Old 02-08-2012, 12:54 PM
Darud35
Advanced

Originally Posted by reno808
Patrick PM SENT
I too have PM'ed him.. Didn't you say you're running that turbo already?
Old 02-08-2012, 01:34 PM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

if you're going to go GT series turbo, you've got a lot of work cut out for you. let's put it that way.
if you spend small on a gt series turbo that isn't a dbb turbo and do all that custom fab work, it's a huge waste of time and money. where you can just go buy a dbb custom made turbo that directly bolt on.

BTW if you think you can just get a GT series turbo and put a KKK hot housing on and just mod the turbo mount... That won't work either.
Old 02-08-2012, 02:21 PM
Darud35
Advanced

When you say a custom dbb that will bolt on are you referring to the lindsey racing ones? I'm not aware of other companies offering a direct bolt on.

By Joshua's statement, maybe a BW will be a direct bolt on?
Old 02-08-2012, 02:22 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by pole position
Don't get hung up on Ballbearing, the spool between ball/journal bearing is almost /if not the same but you get more reliability when you run high boost with ballbearing turbos. By high boost I mean 24psi and up , not too many 951 owners run that.
Interesting - curious if others have comments on this?

After watching some of refresh's posts, I'm planning on going with a Lindsey Super-48 at some point in the future (this year or next, depending on how finances fall.) They have the option of going with DBB center for an extra $450, and I've wondered if it's worth the ~40% premium or not if I plan to keep things at 18psi or less (most likely closer to 14-15.) I *am* looking for quick spool - I autocross a lot.
Old 02-08-2012, 03:03 PM
reno808
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Darud35
I too have PM'ed him.. Didn't you say you're running that turbo already?
yeah i am. i have questions on how it performs so i have someone to compare it to.
Old 02-08-2012, 03:11 PM
Full-Race Geoff
6th Gear

hey guys - i lurk this forum on occasion and just came across this thread. i am the lead turbo engineer at Full-Race, and can offer a little insight

I'm looking to upgrade from a K26-6 turbo to something like a T3/T4 hybrid. The car will see a mix of street and track so I'd like to avoid oversized turbos with increased lag. I'll be running a stock 2.5L with cat-delete, M-Tune, 80# injectors, 3bar regulator. I've read a lot about the T3/T4 hybrid, and it seems like the 50 trim compressor and a stage 3 wheel is a great match for our car. I don't mind some modifications to ensure proper fitment. What do you guys think about this option?http://www.full-race.com/store/turbo...e-turbo-1.html Price is certainly attractive. Anyone buy from full-race.com? I spoke to them on the phone and they really recommended the BorgWarner such as this:
http://www.full-race.com/store/turbo...-75-turbo.html I haven't heard any 944 user reviews on this, and I don't believe the inlet/outlet are a proper match.
I agree the S300SX is a little too big for you. The borgwarner s200sx is my #1 recommendation, it delivers outstanding bang-for-the-buck, and compressor connections are a 3" inlet and 2" outlet, its pretty simple to use in these engine bays. however as was already mentioned this is ONLY a twinscroll turbo from borgwarner. If you have access to a divided turbomanifold, this turbo would outperform the T3 undivided garretts for spoolup and peak power. Of course if you wanted to use the stock turbo manifold then the stock location T3 turbos like these guys are posting up would make the most sense,just wouldnt get the twinscroll spoolup and throttle/boost response that I think you are looking for.

seriously, I want it to be a fun street car where I don't have to keep it at peak rpm to stay in the power band. I do intend to track it, but not exclusively. At least not at first. My real concern with the first link is that it's only a journal bearing turbo (despite the drop down ball bearing option). That doesn't make it an apples to apples comparison of Shawn's setup. Is his more like he BW you recommend?
everything you mentioned there tells me you should try and consider a twinscroll turbo setup. ball bearings help a tiny bit, but proper twinscroll configuration truly delivers what you are looking for

Originally Posted by Rogue_Ant
The smaller turbine wheel is closer to the GT30r, and will spool a little quicker, at the expense of max power potential...The BW turbos are good units, but how much better is it than a 50trim, ball-bearing unit?
the t3/t04E turbos you are considering use an 11 blade T31 turbine wheel. It is a somewhat antiquated design, but without a doubt is a decent turbo. There are wayyy better turbos out there now... I remember 15 years ago when i built my first serious 4cyl turbo car i used this exact turbo.

Last edited by Full-Race Geoff; 02-08-2012 at 03:33 PM.
Old 02-08-2012, 04:33 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 76 Posts

Geoff, just a bit OT. How much different / better are the new EFR turbos over the older S362 ETT turbos?

How available are the EFRs now? They seem to be still hard to obtain from what I've read.

Thanks
Old 02-08-2012, 04:36 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnKoaWood
Too bad shipping that turbo up here would offset the savings, although it would save a considerable amount of time!
I don't think shipping would be too bad John, although I'm used to all sorts of exorbitant freight costs over the years. I have to get my *** into gear and get all my parts in a pile that I have for sale. I would think the turbo might cost $50-$100 in shipping dependent on who it went with. I might come to an 'arrangement' with the prospective purchaser.
Old 02-08-2012, 06:16 PM
pole position
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 333pg333
I don't think shipping would be too bad John, although I'm used to all sorts of exorbitant freight costs over the years. I have to get my *** into gear and get all my parts in a pile that I have for sale. I would think the turbo might cost $50-$100 in shipping dependent on who it went with. I might come to an 'arrangement' with the prospective purchaser.
Not trying to rain on your parade but "a couple of small nicks" on the compressor wheel indicate FOD, just saying.
Old 02-08-2012, 09:44 PM
Darud35
Advanced

I spoke with one of the engineers at full-race today and he got me interested in the twin scroll BW. Has anyone seen it done on our cars?

I know it will require some serious modifications as well as two wastegates. Price wise it should still be less than the cost of a GT series and the required adapters with better spool time. I saw a guy on here started the process but couldn't find anything about the end result.
Old 02-08-2012, 09:52 PM
Scott H
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The trouble with a twin scroll on our cars is that you then have to run two pipes in that same confined space. It can be done, Sid (blown944), I believe, has done it with a Holset.
Old 02-08-2012, 10:01 PM
Darud35
Advanced

Yep that's the guy I saw doing it. His thread doesn't have the end result of the twin scroll (not that I saw). I sent him a PM so hopefully he can shine some light on the subject.
Old 02-08-2012, 10:06 PM
thingo
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I run a twin scroll set up, it is a bit easier with rhd. Works well for me.

Quick Reply: Turbo Advice- BorgWarner & Garrett