Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

dipstick tube pops off under boost

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2012, 10:40 PM
dizzyj
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default dipstick tube pops off under boost

I just finished putting my 951 back together after getting the turbo rebuilt. the good news that it fired up first try. The bad news is that when I get get under boost, oil apparently pops the dipstick tube out and gets all over (the attachment point on the tube is broke, so its just sitting on the ring). My understanding is that while you should have it attached, its not necessary.

What could cause this? Could I just have too much oil in the engine? I'm worried about installing my new dipstick tube for fear of the oil pressure blowing out a seal.

Thanks
dj
Old 01-23-2012, 10:58 PM
blown 944
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Double check your hose routing. You may be pressurizing your crankcase. Is the engine new? Have you checked compression and leakdown?
Old 01-23-2012, 11:28 PM
dizzyj
Rennlist Member

engine is not new but was rebuilt not too long ago. Has all forged internals. I did a compression and leakdown test before I pulled the old turbo. compression was a little low one 1 cylinder, leakdown seemed to show an exhaust valve.

I've got my aos tube routed back to my maf. Not sure how else I would be creating crank case pressure. I'm sure I've got something wrong tho.
Old 01-24-2012, 12:24 AM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fix the part, it isn't that expensive.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-924-...sories&vxp=mtr

Take off the AOS tube and see if you are getting pressure coming out of the engine. One guy on the board always had a leak in his oil pan so after several attempts to fix it, he glued on the gasket. Blew the oil filler into his hood so hard it left a big bulge in the hood.
Old 01-24-2012, 12:50 AM
odb812
Burning Brakes

Before we get too crazy here, couldn't oil just slosh out of the hole in the pan for the dipstick tube while he's driving if the tube isn't seated properly? I can't see the weight of the tube and the dipstick holding it firmly against the o-ring while you're driving. Replace the tube and see if your leak goes away. Even if there is another problem that needs to be addressed, you're still going to need to replace the dipstick tube at some point.
Old 01-24-2012, 01:03 AM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 287 Posts

It takes very little crankcase pressure to push the dipstick up. When bolted to the intake, the dipstick has more of a bend and makes the stick harder to push in and pull up. You can make up a little tab and tack it on with a mig, or just buy a new one. I'd see if that fixes it before getting too concerned.
Old 01-24-2012, 01:14 AM
dizzyj
Rennlist Member

one thing I failed to mention, I had oil on my hood and on top of my intake. It spurted from somewhere, and definitely under a good bit of pressure. So its not just a "leak"
Old 01-24-2012, 01:18 AM
dizzyj
Rennlist Member

I have a new tube on order. Should be here tomorrow. We dont have the tab on our NA racecar either, but it never was a problem.

I'm probably being paranoid. I spent the last few months going through this engine/turbo and I have a DE in 2 weeks that I'm trying to get the car ready for.
Old 01-24-2012, 02:41 AM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by dizzyj
one thing I failed to mention, I had oil on my hood and on top of my intake. It spurted from somewhere, and definitely under a good bit of pressure. So its not just a "leak"
Hmmm, that's not right. Any chance you reversed the ISV and AOS hoses to the I/C pipe and J-Boot by mistake?
Old 01-24-2012, 04:01 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

my mate cracked his piston in his skyline and oil was pissing out his dipstick. but i doubt this is the case.

What oil you running? it could be to thick and creating a lot of crank case pressure?
Old 01-24-2012, 07:21 AM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dizzyj
I have a new tube on order. Should be here tomorrow. We dont have the tab on our NA racecar either, but it never was a problem.

I'm probably being paranoid. I spent the last few months going through this engine/turbo and I have a DE in 2 weeks that I'm trying to get the car ready for.
Did you replace the rings? If they have not seated yet, it could explain a lot.
Old 01-24-2012, 09:11 AM
Willard Bridgham 3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Brian Broderick
Did you replace the rings? If they have not seated yet, it could explain a lot.
+1
Old 01-24-2012, 10:40 AM
dizzyj
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tom M'Guinn
Hmmm, that's not right. Any chance you reversed the ISV and AOS hoses to the I/C pipe and J-Boot by mistake?
ugh, I think thats it. I have a LR MAf (nothing on this car is stock), and those two hoses were the only ones that didnt quite fit right when re-installing. Would totally explain what im seeing.

the AOS is the big metal pipe poking out above the turbo right?
Old 01-24-2012, 10:42 AM
brrgrr
Racer

I'm sure you have the hoses swapped. It is easy to do and the result is either what you have or the oil fill cap popping off and oil everywhere.
Old 01-24-2012, 11:08 AM
Darwantae951

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Yes, the metal cluster of tubes under the intake goes to the AOS (the largest one). If you aren't running a CV you can delete that whole mess and just run one tube from the AOS to the intake pipe.

Quick Reply: dipstick tube pops off under boost