Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Can't track down this coolant leak

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2012, 08:12 PM
plumbum
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Problem with older systems...once one spot springs a leak...and it is fixed the pressure goes back to normal and the next week link springs a leak...Hope you get it sorted out soon..and that it is something simple
Old 01-25-2012, 03:16 PM
86 951 Driver
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Took it into the shop. The took the covers off and we looked around. I didn't see it leaking really at all. They didn't see anything blatant that stuck out. There might be a possibility its leaking from where the oil filter is. Also my car is leaking more oil than normal they seemed to think that was the oil pressure sensor.

So I may be looking to sell it.
Old 01-26-2012, 01:16 AM
jmj951
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 86 951 Driver
Took it into the shop. The took the covers off and we looked around. I didn't see it leaking really at all. They didn't see anything blatant that stuck out. There might be a possibility its leaking from where the oil filter is. Also my car is leaking more oil than normal they seemed to think that was the oil pressure sensor.

So I may be looking to sell it.
Still sounds like the heat exchanger, it seems you haven't ruled that out. I was leaning towards the water pump bearings when you mentioned that the leak can only occur while the car is run, but then again, the heat exchanger sees a very different environment (with hot circulating oil) when the car is run versus when it's not and you're just pressure-testing it, so I wouldn't rule it out just because it doesn't show up on a pressure test. What does the inside of the coolant expansion tank cap look like?
Old 01-26-2012, 10:48 AM
86 951 Driver
Race Car

Originally Posted by jmj951
Still sounds like the heat exchanger, it seems you haven't ruled that out. I was leaning towards the water pump bearings when you mentioned that the leak can only occur while the car is run, but then again, the heat exchanger sees a very different environment (with hot circulating oil) when the car is run versus when it's not and you're just pressure-testing it, so I wouldn't rule it out just because it doesn't show up on a pressure test. What does the inside of the coolant expansion tank cap look like?
My coolant and oil look good. No milkshake at all. I'm not.sure what the heat exchanger is but I believe the part they think is leaking is the oil cooler housing. I thought it was called sonething related to the oil filter.

It's apparently a bear to change. I would need to replace my power steering lines as well because one of then has a cut in it. Probably causes a slow drip.
Old 01-26-2012, 10:53 AM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

oil cooler housing/heat exchanger/oil filter housing/ potatoes patato's.

Sad reality was with the head off, you were 4 bolts away from having it off and the gasket replaced.
Old 01-26-2012, 11:45 AM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 87 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by PorscheDoc

Sad reality was with the head off, you were 4 bolts away from having it off and the gasket replaced.
I wonder who was the mechanic who did the rebuilt?
Old 01-26-2012, 02:27 PM
86 951 Driver
Race Car

I guess I will chaulk this one up to coulda woulda shoulda. I have learned the lesson. This is something I thought the turbo's didn't have. Wish I would have known now.

Originally Posted by lart951
I wonder who was the mechanic who did the rebuilt?
Troll much?
Old 01-26-2012, 02:48 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I guess I will chaulk this one up to coulda woulda shoulda. I have learned the lesson. This is something I thought the turbo's didn't have. Wish I would have known now.

Troll much?
It's always hard to know exactly what to replace when doing jobs like this. Stuff snowballs out of control quickly.
Old 01-26-2012, 03:25 PM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 87 Likes on 50 Posts

Troll much?
I am sorry, forgive me please, but it's so difficult not to say, " I told you so"
Old 01-26-2012, 04:51 PM
86 951 Driver
Race Car

Originally Posted by lart951
I am sorry, forgive me please, but it's so difficult not to say, " I told you so"
Tbh all the work was done properly as far as I can tell. This was just an oversight. It's true that you can't predict to fix everything unless doing a total rebuild.

My next question is would this cause more oil to leak than normal?
Old 01-26-2012, 05:19 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

No oil leaks are normal, so anything more than that is not. An oil cooler housing (doesn't really house the oil cooler on the turbo, but you get the idea) can make a heck of a mess leaking externally though. I've never seen once leave puddles on the floor, but it wills sure drip down the side of the block and run over everything.
Old 01-26-2012, 06:13 PM
86 951 Driver
Race Car

No oil leaks are normal, so anything more than that is not. An oil cooler housing (doesn't really house the oil cooler on the turbo, but you get the idea) can make a heck of a mess leaking externally though. I've never seen once leave puddles on the floor, but it wills sure drip down the side of the block and run over everything.
I'm not 100% if that is where the oil is coming from, but it has been leaking more than usual. My car was never leak free, but it would only leave a few drips, now its leaving a decent amount IMO. Just curious since I am leaking a bit of coolant and a bit more oil than usual. It all seems related to that one seal. I haven't read too much on it except it will cause the milkshake to happen. Any other symptoms?
Old 01-26-2012, 06:21 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by JohnKoaWood
Coolant pressure test FTW!
+1

Quick Reply: Can't track down this coolant leak