Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

URGENT: How to get the turbo out

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2001 | 01:00 PM
porker
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post URGENT: How to get the turbo out

I'm in the middle of replacing my Turbo, and I'm having real problems getting to the lower 2 of the 4 bolts on the exhaust side of the turbo (the one's on the side).

The shield around the brake master cylinder is still in place, but what needs to come out to get to the sods???? Is it better to cone from under or above??

Many thanks,
Mike
Old 11-12-2001 | 04:18 PM
David J. Harrington
Racer

Mike, you've discovered the pain to turbo removal/replacement in our cars. You've gotta take off the master's heat shield. This is probably the most frustrating task in this job. I find for the lower two bolts, it is easier to come in from below.

Good luck,
Dave
Old 11-12-2001 | 06:10 PM
Danno
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Easier to remove the turbo and downpipe as a single unit. Then disassemble those two later.
Old 11-12-2001 | 06:24 PM
David J. Harrington
Racer

Yes, definately remove the downpipe (the footlong section coming off the exit) and turbo as a unit.

Danno, I believe he was asking about the crossover pipe (the entrance pipe to the turbo).

Good luck,
Dave
Old 11-13-2001 | 08:51 AM
David Salama
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 9 Posts
First, you must remove the heat shield. This is fairly simple if you have a very long extension to reach the nut on the firewall down below. It then will be necessary to disconnect the aux water pump and unscrew the 90 degree water connection to the turbo. This will give you access to three of the nuts. The top back bolt will still be difficult, and can be accessed from below with an open ended wrench. The o2 sensor will be almost in your way so be careful. Once you loosen the bolt, it can be completed from above. Good luck !!
Old 11-13-2001 | 07:56 PM
David Salama
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 9 Posts
Correction on my last post. The difficult bolt is the bottom back one, not the top back. Anyway, good luck.

Quick Reply: URGENT: How to get the turbo out