Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Racing suspension purshase

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2002 | 11:12 AM
gtracer
Advanced

Post Racing suspension purshase

Can we get some input on whom everyone thinks is knowlegable, and would make a good place to pushase a racing suspension set up for a 951...thanks
Old 11-12-2002 | 11:17 AM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Try Karl at Racer's Edge, very knowledgeable.

Eugene
Old 11-12-2002 | 11:33 AM
951Racer
Addict
Rennlist Member

What is your budget?
Old 11-12-2002 | 12:02 PM
KokelnRob
Intermediate

There are too many variables to say that there is a one-size-fits-all suspension. Class and weight of the car,including distribution, tire size and compound, horsepower and budget all need to be accounted for. More importantly is your driving style. What may work for someone else, all other things equal, may not work for you.
For a dedicated track car you shoud replace as many rubber mounts with solid ones. Engine, transmission, upper and lower torsion etc. The rear trailing arm bushings should be replaced with monoballs. Larger sway bars and torsion bars or a switch to coil-overs if your class allows. Billet A-arms should also be included.
After all of this a good alignment must be done.
Old 11-12-2002 | 12:35 PM
gtracer
Advanced

Thanks for the info...would like a good set up..purshased once....the car will be in the PCA club racing stock classes...exactly what I have in mind..someone that will understand set up, driving style, etc....so is the verdict the racer's edge???
Old 11-12-2002 | 01:16 PM
M758
Race Director

Well personaly I think there are probably many good places to go. Each different race shop will have their take on which is the right set-up and who's shocks work a little better than the rest.

You will also find that like Rob said there is no one size fits all solution. Knowing that you are looking at a PCA stock class is good. Couple of other question are Budget?, Timming?, your driving Experinece, Race Expectations? (Fun or WINS)

All of these are factors in determining not just what to will do to the car, but HOW it will be done.

Personally I like the Idea of using a local shop and guys who have raced 944's since they will probably have better knowledge of 944 requirements and being local are easier to inteface with.

Here in Phoenix I would recommended Chris Cervelli at Techodyne for top notch Turbo set-ups. He is an experinced PCA Racer and used to drive GT1 944 Turbo in PCA. Now he drives a B-Stock 996. Also drove for 2 years at the Pro level at places like Daytona before the Grand-Am/AMLS split. He is considered at 944 Turbo God around these parts.

I see that you are from Colorado. I do not know any shops up there.

BTW... I did my own race car set-up myself as my car evolved slowly from an Autocross/DE car in to race car on a very limited bugget. While I have a stiff suspension I have not yet ventured in to the Full Blown Racing set-up and probably never will. Right now it working fine for me. I do however plan to do a rear torsion bar upgrade soon and plan on taking my car to Chris's for Proper aligment and corner balance. Right now these are "eyeball" home jobs that have been working quite well, but it time for the next step.

Just don't rush any decisions. Talk to alot of people and work it out. The last thing you want to do is work twice or spend money on parts that you will replace in 3 months.
Old 11-12-2002 | 02:30 PM
Larry Parker
Racer

Try givin me a call! I worked for moriss dampers for quite some time and had a hand in the design of the 944 setup, I NO longer work directly for moriss but rather help with testing and tuning cars as well as tweeking dampers.................

The dampers rival some of the best shocks in the world, and we have the proof....... Durability and a HUGE range of adjustment alows the user to go from the street to the track with out having to revalve...............

You could go buy some other brands but I have seen them all and dynoed them all and have been very disapointed with them................

National AUTO-X and RALLY champions have one with moriss dampers................
Call me if you like after 3:00 eastern standard time If you want an un biased opinion about dampers (you may think im bias but im not) Just tell the facts...............

take care
Old 11-12-2002 | 02:31 PM
Larry Parker
Racer

Ohh here is my home number 586-949-3040
Old 11-12-2002 | 04:53 PM
gtracer
Advanced

Thanks Larry look forward to speaking with you...thanks for the info....
Old 11-13-2002 | 03:37 AM
marksportcts
Burning Brakes

Larry, any Rennlist pricing or discount?
Old 11-13-2002 | 05:10 PM
ColoradoBill
Advanced

As far as a shop in the area, you might call Carquip in Boulder and see if they can direct you. They mainly sell gears (for Porsches) but some of the guys there also race Porsches, so they might be able to direct you to a shop with experience on racing 944Ts.
Old 11-13-2002 | 10:56 PM
Bill
Addict
Rennlist Member

Larry Parker,

Interesting shock. What is the reason for a remote reservoir?
Old 11-14-2002 | 06:26 PM
Larry Parker
Racer

The remote reservoir is to separate the oil and nitrogen...... Some shock companies allow the gas to roll around with the oil which causes foaming.
This is the main reason that everyone thinks bilstiens are so grand (not that they are a bad shock) just seem to be over-rated.....

also thats where the compression is adjusted on the shocks..... It also allows for a larger volume of fluid which keeps the damper cooler.....
Old 11-14-2002 | 07:09 PM
mumzer
Racer

[quote]Originally posted by Larry Parker:
<strong>The remote reservoir is to separate the oil and nitrogen...... Some shock companies allow the gas to roll around with the oil which causes foaming.
This is the main reason that everyone thinks bilstiens are so grand (not that they are a bad shock) just seem to be over-rated.....

also thats where the compression is adjusted on the shocks..... It also allows for a larger volume of fluid which keeps the damper cooler.....</strong><hr></blockquote>

and allows you better volume and damping control at low piston speeds...and small fluid displacements...which is what we care about on a road course anyway.
Old 11-15-2002 | 12:33 AM
Larry Parker
Racer

Ahh Ahh mumzer we still need high speed control, what about those curbs you hit out there? We do alot of testing low and very high speeds (we sell alot of rally setups)
and are very happy with the control and having a shock that can run much much faster than alot of world class shocks with no lag!!!!!!!!
Unlike many of the BIG companies stuff........
We also have helped some national auto-x champs win with our low speed tuning (trouble launching and too much low speed compresion)

Quick Reply: Racing suspension purshase