Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

TIE DOWN POINTS FOR FLAT-BED TOWING

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2001, 06:21 PM
tt9714
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question TIE DOWN POINTS FOR FLAT-BED TOWING

What is the safest method of securing a 944 Turbo on a flatbed trailer for long-distance transport (e.g. 2000 miles)? I looked under the front and back of the car, but I was unable to find any tie-down points. If I don't give the movers any direction, I'm afraid that they will tie a rope to a sensitive suspension component.
Thanks in advance.
Old 11-07-2001, 07:04 PM
Julian Allen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts
In the rear there are two tiedowns that accept standard tee shaped wrecker pieces--they twist 90 degrees after insertion and hold the back securely.
In the front I usually insert the towing eye and secure to that. For the trip from Germany the factory put tiedowns on the front body rail, but the PDI was supposed to remove this.
Old 11-07-2001, 07:12 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Probably the best way is to use those mesh straps (sort of like snow tire chains) that wrap around the top of the wheels and are cranked down tight to the flatbed deck.

Alternatives are to get some "eye nuts" that you can screw onto a lug stud on each wheel. I forget where I saw these, it was in some catalog. You could probably have a machine shop weld some up for you.

Then there are eyes which terminate in a T. Behind each wheel you will find a little cone welded to the floor pan just like the lift point one in the middle of the car on each edge of the side. You slip the T end through the hole and the T legs catch on the inside and you crank down. I don't know if I would trust this arrangement but have been told it works fine. The auto transport guys are supposed to sell them.

Finally you cold just bolt or weld tie downs to the frame rails. I'm sure there are other methods.

Quick Reply: TIE DOWN POINTS FOR FLAT-BED TOWING