WHAT'S THIS WIRE FOR???

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2001, 11:37 PM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post WHAT'S THIS WIRE FOR???

1988 Turbo S... In the driver side rear panel, where the driver side rear speaker resides... The speaker wire splits about halfway up, and there are two ends to it... I'm not really even sure if it's live or not, but would expect it to be, as it is a direct split from the speaker wire- it has to be factory too BTW... Anyone know? Was there some sort of option that would use a wire back there? I can't think of one, and whatever it would be, it would have two ends like I said- it almost looks like it's for another speaker, but there's not one on the other side, so that can't be it...

I'm about to rewire some new 6 1/2's back there (also up front under the armrest), and am going to rip out all of the old wire and don't want to tear out anything of value...

Thanks,
Robby
Old 11-07-2001, 11:19 PM
booster
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I don't know but I have a theory, maybe the speakers were coaxial and the system used a amp to drive the tweeters or midbass speakers with different wattages, my Diamond Audio speakers have the same setup so you can use a crossover, so that way you have two positive and one negitive going to each speaker.???
Old 11-07-2001, 11:45 PM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Robby, I dont have the answer to your question...but do you know if a 6x9 would fit in the back of a turbo S with 10 speaker system (what you have I believe)?
Old 11-08-2001, 03:54 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the thought, but not likely... The Turbo S came w/the 10 speaker system- a 6 1/2" w/separate tweeter in the rear (x-over is in the back of the 6 1/2") and a 5 1/4" & 3" in the door under the armrest and a separate tweeter at the top of the door above the window control (that x-over is behind the speakers under the armrest). Anyway, if it were a x-over or something then it would have to have had one in the passenger side, as well, and the wire doesn't split there, the EQ was under the deck, and the amps were under the dash... It had to be something else...

Adrial, as for your question- I've gone though hell and back trying to decide what to do w/my system, as I don't want to run subs, or even amps for that matter... I've decided to install 6 1/2" Infinity Kappa Separates up front in the stock location (under the armrest behind the pocket), and 6 1/2" Infinity Kappa coaxes in the rear (I just had adapter plates made, and am picking them up tomorrow), and an ADS 4-chan amp (REALLY SMALL) under the glove box, up high, on the floorboard (above the ECU)...

As for 6x9's fitting back there, I read somewhere where someone claimed to have done it, but I don't want to go through the trouble of removing the windows (it's a LONG story), but, I have lifted them up, and it appears that it would be an extremely close fit, and may work if they weren't too deep (you should be able to find something that would work depth-wise easily enough). It looks like the length is the problem, just like the height is the problem w/a 6 1/2 under the armrest (A 6x9 would fit easier there, but would probably be too deep- ), anyway, I really think, based on my half-assed measurements, that a 6x8" would work fine. Either way, you would need to be prepared to remove the windows, and do some cutting. The shape isn't right for either to fit, but it shouldn't be too big of a deal to cut out the metal (again, if the windows were removed)...

Good luck deciding what to do, and stay in touch if you need any help deciding (I might be able to help), I can let you know how my project goes- it should be done in the next two weeks... If you want good speaker prices, check out The Zeb- they were EXTREMELY fast, and very cheap...
Old 11-08-2001, 10:22 AM
slevy951
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Back to the topic....

Those wires may be for the factory alarm keylock in the fender right behind the door.
Old 11-08-2001, 10:56 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

That is the best guess I've heard yet- I'll check into it...

thanks,
Robby
Old 11-08-2001, 10:58 AM
Steve, 914 guy
Instructor

Porsche only ever had one wire harness per car, wired for all options. I would guess that every car has some extra wires some where.
Old 11-08-2001, 11:07 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Sure, this is true about the wires, but what could this wire have ever been used for, even on a 924, 944, 951, 968, etc, even if it had the option? What is the option, etc...?

The alarm idea sounds very possible, though. I'm going to try to contact anyone I can who has the factory alarms, to see if their rear left speaker wires are split, and if the split ends are being used...
Old 11-10-2001, 12:04 AM
C DeVito
Racer

The wires on an 88 951 going to the alarm switch are Brown and Yellow. Brown going to ground and Yellow going to the alarm control unit. So, if the wires you're looking at are those colors, it's the alarm switch.

Carmen
89 951 - factory door lock activated alarm
Old 11-10-2001, 11:57 AM
booster
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I am looking at the wiring diagram and it list a wire that looks like it runs with the speaker wire on the left side as a wire for the rear window defogger switch, is the wire for the speaker brown? as it showes the speaker wires brown and brown/red and the window defogger switch as brown also.
Old 11-10-2001, 01:27 PM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Yes, the speaker wire is brown, but that can't be it, as mine has a rear window defogger, and it works, despite the fact that the split wire isn't hooked to anything. I also haven't noticed a red wire in there- it's brown and yellow I believe.

If I can just find someone w/a factory alarm to pop off that little black vent and reach up in there to see if their speaker wire splits and runs to the extra key hole, then I could eliminate the alarm possibility, which is the most likely thing I've heard so far. Of course, that makes no sense at all either- I mean the alarm connected to the speaker wire? Whatever, but that's still the only thing that would possibly need some kind of current that would be in that position where the wire is, and, the wire seems to be just the right length, etc... Anyone w/a factory 2-key hole alarm care to pop that little plastic piece off real quick and see? It would only take about 1 minute, and the little black plastic vent piece pops right back on...

Thanks,
Robby

Quick Reply: WHAT'S THIS WIRE FOR???