Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Question re: Factory Alarm

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2001, 01:46 AM
IanM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Question re: Factory Alarm

My car is equipped with the factory alarm system, which is automatically activated by locking either door with the key. It generally seems to be working fine - the siren goes off if the hood is lifted, etc. However, when I unlock and open the rear hatch with the alarm engaged, the siren does not go off. Is this correct, or should the alarm sound? The rear interior light does turn on when I open the hatch, so I know that circuit is functioning. Any ideas as to what may be wrong with my alarm? Or was the rear hatch no wired into the system from the factory? Thanks in advance.
Old 11-06-2001, 01:59 AM
Jay-P
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The alarm shouldn't sound if you are unlocking the hatch with the key from the rear because you are using the key. Now, roll down the drivers window and set the alarm on, open the hatch using the hatch release by the pedals, the alarm should go off.
Old 11-06-2001, 02:07 AM
IanM
Burning Brakes

Thanks Jay, you're a star!
I'll give it a shot just to make sure mine works properly. That's pretty impressive forward-thinking by the factory!
Old 11-06-2001, 05:01 PM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hey guys,

I'm curious about something- the cars w/factory alarms- they all have the locks w/the little illuminated diodes (is that the correct term?) right? They have the little red lights on top? I've seen two different styles of lock ***** for sale in catalogs, and was wondering if I could buy some w/the lights, and get them to work when I lock my doors, despite not having a factory alarm(?). Does anyone know if this is possible? It would sort of work as a "theft deterent" I hope...

Thanks,
Robby
Old 11-06-2001, 05:14 PM
Perry 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 53 Posts
Mine has the factory alarm activated by the key next to the drivers door, and no LED's. Just an FYI.

Also.. my damn lock cylinder is mess up on it and I need a new one! Major PITA! Should have done it when I did the rear speakers.
Old 11-07-2001, 12:56 AM
sm
Drifting

Received 72 Likes on 60 Posts
I have a alarm like Perry951's, but I never received the key from the PO. What should I do now??? I live in NYC, so anything helps

Thanks,
sm
Old 11-07-2001, 06:07 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Perry,

What's an FYI on your car?

What I'm referring to are the lock barrels on the doors- some have little red lights at the top- are these supposed to light up and stay lit (or blink continually) when the alarm is set? I'd like to install these instead of my barrels w/out the alarm, and have them work when I lock my doors- sort of a theft deterence thing(?)...

I wonder if you could have the alarm key made to work w/the regular door/ignition key, so you wouldn't have to carry around the extra one(?). Unless of course, you want to have two keys- for that matter, you could have the door locks a different key from the ignition, or any combination thereof... But, SM, you will probably have to get a locksmith- I wouldn't think it would be that big of a deal, but mine never came w/this system, so there could be something I'm not aware of in there...

Thanks,
Robby
Old 11-07-2001, 01:31 PM
IanM
Burning Brakes

My car w/ factory alarm does have the blinking red led's on the tops of the lock barrels. You could install a switch (say in one of the spare locations in your center console) that sends power from your battery to the blinking lights. Then you could flip the switch when you park your car, get out and lock the doors as usual. That would be an easy thing to do.

As far as the keys go, I don't have different keys for the alarm. I have one key that locks my doors. When I use the key to lock either my drivers side or passenger side door, the alarm is set, and the led's start blinking.

As I mentioned before, if I then use the key to unlock the rear hatch, the alarm does not go off. I still haven't tested Jay's suggestion to try unlocking the hatch with the button, and then see if the alarm sounds, but I'm sure he's right about that.
Old 11-07-2001, 10:08 PM
Perry 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

The 87's had the older style, that has no led's in the lock *****, and the alarm is activated by a seperate key next to the drivers door.

I have no FYI - that was For Your Information. FYI
Old 11-08-2001, 04:05 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Ahh, I always knew what FYI meant, but I misread your post- I thought there was a comma there, as in: "...and no LED's, just an FYI." You know, like "there was no LED, but an FYI instead..." I understand now...

Also, what you're saying about the earlier one's... this means the one's w/the factory alarms and no extra key hole had the red LED's, but the earlier one's w/the extra key holes did not(?)... I've never known anything about the factory alarms, as my Turbo S didn't come w/one... I'm considering installing an aftermarket one or something...

thanks for the input guys...
Old 11-08-2001, 06:46 AM
Perry 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Exactly.

Choose the aftermarket one carefully!!!
Old 11-08-2001, 10:05 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Would anyone of you guy's recommend a factory alarm? I'm not even sure if it would be affordable, or not, or even if I could still get one, but, would it be worth looking into?

What about other systems- any advice there? I'm very seriously considering one of the 1-touch up & down window kits from Auto Lock, and I know they sell alarms- are they decent? I think I'm going to post this as a separate thread actually, so maybe I can get other's input...

Thanks, IanM, for posting this question- I didn't mean to be a thread leach, but it helped me learn something about this stuff- I hope your alarm's working correctly...

thanks,
Robby
Old 11-08-2001, 12:21 PM
IanM
Burning Brakes

No problem Robby.

I used to have a VW Scirocco 16V that was fully done out, and I was pretty **** about it. I bought a Clifford anti-code grabbing alarm, with a shock sensor, ignition kill, back-up siren with built-in battery, and a servo motor for keyless entry. I ditched the big Clifford blinking light, and installed a little led along the top of each door panel. I installed the entire system myself, and I was VERY happy with it. That system was WAY more advanced than the factory system in my 951. That system saved my car from being stolen twice.
Old 11-08-2001, 05:51 PM
Jerry
Instructor

I was quite sure only the 86 had the extra key hole for the factory alarm and not the 87 as well. What's better than a hidden switch that will not let the car start? Cost is $2.00
Old 11-08-2001, 09:54 PM
sm
Drifting

Received 72 Likes on 60 Posts
Jerry, I assume you made your own kill switch? Can you summarize what you did?
thanks!

sm

Quick Reply: Question re: Factory Alarm