Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

3" straight pipe

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2003, 05:06 PM
white 944 turbo
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know the stock cat. hurts performance but what if you use a high flow cat. would that take care of the noise and not hurt performance?
Old 01-18-2003, 04:32 AM
Chas
Pro

So for a streetable (not citation worthy) loud aggressive sound... is it better to go with

testpipe (downpipe to muffler (no cat)) and stock (or maybe upgraded) muffler

-or-

keep the cat and do a catback upgraded pipe and no muffler?

I'm looking for low restriction as well of course
Old 01-18-2003, 12:27 PM
Russ Murphy
Drifting

Quote:
So for a streetable (not citation worthy) loud aggressive sound... is it better to go with

Yes. Less restriction than your other scenario and not very loud IMO. This is how I've run my car for the past two years. No citations, no complaints, only favorable comments.
Old 01-18-2003, 02:55 PM
Mike Buck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">Originally posted by Russ Murphy:
<strong>Quote:

</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">That is what I posted earlier. I have a straightpipe I can throw in at the track, but one needs a muffler for the street. You could drive w/o a muffler on the street, but you'd have to shift at 2k . . . and what fun would that be
Old 01-18-2003, 06:23 PM
nine-44
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm looking into the same idea, probably going to run a muffler(straight thru design). Would it be politically correct to run a "purple hornie". I would run it under the car near the OE resonator would be. BTW a "purple hornie" is like a cherry bomb, but is a steele packing instead of glass so it can withstand the heat. They're designed for use directly mounted to the header. I want a straigh thru so I get good flow and maybe pop some flames.
Old 01-21-2003, 01:41 AM
nine-44
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
WHAT? Did I say something wrong? This post has been dead for two days now and I want answers dammit. J/K
Old 01-21-2003, 09:45 AM
NerfRacing
Instructor

well, the police around my area are notably ignorant to noise from my own and my friends cars, but really **** about everything else(anybody hear of the kilbuck township police? they've been on the news multiple times for general harrassment and the fact that basically all of their revenue comes from moving violations.) so i think im gonna buy a straight 3" stainless steel pipe from the downpipe back and see how long it takes to get pulled over... ive always wanted to set car alarms off while driving.
Old 01-21-2003, 11:19 AM
Mike Buck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Matt,
What other sort of mods do you have on your car? I see the list your sig, but is there anything else? The stock exhaust is certainly more than fine up to a certain extent of mods. I just replaced mine becuase it rusted and all but fell off, but i do have twice the mileage on my turbo as you. IMHO, a 3" straight exhasut won't make a LBE work any better or a BOV any louder, so perhaps $$ better spent elsewhere.

just curious
Old 01-21-2003, 02:08 PM
Russ Murphy
Drifting

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva"> IMHO, a 3" straight exhasut won't make a LBE work any better or a BOV any louder, so perhaps $$ better spent elsewhere.
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">Over the stock exhaust? You're kidding right? Making the LBE work better (allow boost to be built quicker and at lower rpms) is exactly what dramatically improving the capacity of the exhaust system will do. There is nothing you could do (other than software to run higher boost levels and/or clean up the intake tract) that would have more of an impact (especially for the cost).
Old 01-21-2003, 03:06 PM
Mike Buck
Addict
Rennlist Member

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">Originally posted by Russ Murphy:
<strong> There is nothing you could do (other than software to run higher boost levels and/or clean up the intake tract) that would have more of an impact (especially for the cost).</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">That's what I was saying, or at least trying to say. But $600 in chips will make the car a lot faster than $600 in exhaust. An open exhaust will just be loud , but perhaps that is what Matt wants. . . who knows. I'd like to hear what other mods he has, beyond what is listed.
Old 01-21-2003, 04:22 PM
NerfRacing
Instructor

well it was chipped before i bought it, and dynoed at 230 something before any mods. but i have no idea what chip is in there.
Old 01-21-2003, 04:27 PM
Russ Murphy
Drifting

You might want to check Danno's post about exhaust. 3" will flow almost twice as much as 2.5". For $600 you could have full 3" from turbo downpipe back AND chips. Stick one open 18" muffler and be fairly quiet if you want but still darn fast.
Old 01-21-2003, 04:38 PM
NerfRacing
Instructor

well i dunno, i just have this idea that if im going 3" straight pipes, i might as well not put a muffler on there, a 3 or even a 2.5" tip isnt going to be muffling much really. i guess it will keep me away from obnoxiously loud and towards reasonably loud

Quick Reply: 3" straight pipe