Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

FUEL LINE QUESTION

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2003, 09:32 PM
white 944 turbo
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post FUEL LINE QUESTION

Can anyone tell me the length and inside diameter of the two fuel lines that come out of the wheel well into the engine bay and connect to the dampner and the fuel pressure regulator. Im in the west coast and have found someone to make those lines for me but my car is on the east coast so I cant measure the lines my self, thanks.
Old 01-16-2003, 03:57 PM
JLeake
Racer

Check out my post on the subject. You need 3/8 id fuel injector hose. The line I replaced was about 14" long as I recall.

<a href="http://forums.rennlist.com/cgi-bin/rennforums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=15;t=014673" target="_blank">http://forums.rennlist.com/cgi-bin/rennforums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=15;t=0146 73</a>
Old 01-16-2003, 05:35 PM
white 944 turbo
Instructor

Jleake, thank you very much you saved me alot of trouble.
Old 01-16-2003, 07:22 PM
Danno
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I went down to my local Kragen's auto-parts store and got a 4-foot section of 3/8" high-pressure fuel-hose along with some smooth hose-clamps (label said 'emissions hose clamps' for some odd reason). These clamps are the smooth type that uses a bolt to pull the ends together like a lot of the stock hose clamps. This gives you even pressure all around the hose and won't rip them up like the normal worm-screw type clamps.

I transferred the outside insulation from my old fuel-hoses over, cut to length and that's it! Complete fuel-line replacement for $20.
Old 01-16-2003, 07:52 PM
cruise98
Three Wheelin'

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts
Guys:

There are two different diameters. One is the 3/8" and the other is 5/16". Buy the proper fuel injection hose and the special clamps. Advance Auto Parts sells both and are the only place I have found with the right clamps in stock. 18" of each will be more than enough.

I did the same thing as Danno, and it works great. Much cheaper and no screw drive clamps. You will have to cut the crimps off both ends of the supply hose and reuse the fitting that attaches to the fuel damper on the front of the rail. There is a large nut and barbed fitting. Do not damage them!
Old 01-16-2003, 09:01 PM
Danno
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
"You will have to cut the crimps off both ends of the supply hose and reuse the fitting that attaches to the fuel damper on the front of the rail. "

Jim Cooper was going to cut off his fuel-lines and use some AN-type compression fittings. Last I heard, he was going to cut off the stock fuel-lines with a Dremel with fuel inside. Haven't heard from him since, perhaps he's in a hospital awaiting his next Cooper-Cup award???
Old 01-17-2003, 09:15 AM
cruise98
Three Wheelin'

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts
Another Cooper Cup Award for the meister himself! I used a hacksaw type tool. Did not want to torch the newly rebuild car or myself!

I have wondered if you could use the fittings from the fuel lines at the filter and tank return. At least they would be the correct diameter.

Only 21 more Danno
Old 01-17-2003, 09:29 AM
Pannan
Instructor

I took my fuel lines of yesterday and noticed that my friends car has the same lines as on jleake´s car. I have a 951 from 1991 and my fuel lines is attached with screws on both sides not the simple attachment as on the pictures.

Does anybody else has that? Or did Porsche change the fuel lines after the 1988 model of 951?

I will have braided fuel lines instead of the factory lines.

regards
Johan
Old 01-17-2003, 11:17 AM
JLeake
Racer

Pannan-

Keep in mind that the pic I posted shows a compression fitting AFTER cutting away the outer jacket. Another pic shows a partially dissassembled compression fitting, and the last pic of course shows the line after I replaced it (secured with smooth hose clamps).
Old 01-17-2003, 11:19 AM
Pannan
Instructor

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">Originally posted by jleake:
<strong>Pannan-

Keep in mind that the pic I posted shows a compression fitting AFTER cutting away the outer jacket. Another pic shows a partially dissassembled compression fitting, and the last pic of course shows the line after I replaced it (secured with smooth hose clamps).</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">I know, but my friends car uses hose clamps at both ends and that is from factory. My car has screws??

//J
Old 01-17-2003, 12:35 PM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Hello, I'm the friend ;-)

The other car is a -89 so they probably changed it from year 90 or just for the last year.
I'll take a look at my fathers 951 cab -91 tonight.

BTW, it obviously feels safer NOT to have any hose clamps, strange they used that at all from the beginning.

Quick Reply: FUEL LINE QUESTION