Turbo problem!! Help needed!

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2003, 01:03 AM
Songz
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Turbo problem!! Help needed!

Just bought new MAF and New turbo.

Installed the parts for 2 days... have been trying to rectify the smoking problem...

All neccessary items/connections have been checked again and again. Now seems like its the fault of the NEW turbocharger!!!

Anyway, just some evidence to justify my case...

1. How could a brand new turbo be giving this kind of problem?

2. If the exhaust smokes a lot only while boosting (especially above 4psi onwards); this has got to do with the turbo?

3. Loud whinning sound while revving, sounds like metal to metal contact.

4. Incredible amount of White/Blue smoke while boosting.

5. Some oil leak from the hotside of turbo.

6. Some fresh oil found in the Intercooler duct.

Advise please!!!!
Old 01-14-2003, 02:44 AM
Luke
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sounds like you smoked your head gasket
Old 01-14-2003, 03:00 AM
pikey7
Drifting

You did tighten the indexing bolts between hot and cold sides of the turbo after the install?????
Old 01-14-2003, 06:00 AM
Danno
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
"3. Loud whinning sound while revving, sounds like metal to metal contact."

That's not good! When you turn off the car, does it still make this sound as the turbo deccelerates? Slowly ending in a low-pitched grumble?

"4. Incredible amount of White/Blue smoke while boosting."

Have someone follow you to see if this smoke is coming out the tailpipe, or from underneath the car in general.

"5. Some oil leak from the hotside of turbo."

Where is this leak? Is it between the backing-plate and the turbine housing? Or is dripping from the top out of the oil-supply line? If the turbo hasn't been receiving enough oil, this could mean trouble...

The large-diameter oil-return line out of the turbo is also very, very critical. It must not have any bends or crimps or twists in it at all. Or else, oil will back up and not drain properly, prevent new fresh oil from entering the turbo and that's the end of the bearings...
Old 01-14-2003, 01:19 PM
Songz
Advanced

Tks! Here are some findings:

Air Intake MAF side - I removed this part and found an Oil spill just before the Turbo (a reservoir of Oil), the Metal pipings that comes with your MAF are all stained with Oil.

2. Remove Spark plug/ Performed Compression Check - Using the standard Porsche/Bosch equipment; all cylinders checked and found to be in really good condition (i.e. no problems)

3. Checked Spark Plugs - In comparison order.. the outermost plug (the one nearest to the Throttle) is extremely wet! as compared to the innermost one.

4. Check Oil Dip Stick - Very Very little engine Oil left.(no sign of Oil from the Dip Stick Check)

5. Losening Oil change nut - Found no evidence of coolant or water.

6. Removed Intake Manifold - Full of Oil.

7. Unbolt Intercooler Ducts - Oil stained in the inner walls.

8. Turbocharger removal - After removing the turbo, Oil Cooling side checked by cranking the engine... oil flowed out normally. Metal housing and Pipe for Oil checked - Normal!

9. Turbo Check - Hotside Turbine is now blacked with a lot of soot. Not spinning too well. No evidence of damaged blade whatsoever. Inner Oil passage checked and found oil stain - which means its normal.

Thks for the previous post... anymore advise????
Old 01-14-2003, 01:28 PM
Songz
Advanced

More to add:

1. tighten the indexing bolts between hot and cold sides? - YES!

2. does it still make this sound as the turbo deccelerates? Slowly ending in a low-pitched grumble? - YES!

3. Have someone follow you to see if this smoke is coming out the tailpipe, or from underneath the car in general. - FROM THE TAIL PIPE

4. Where is this leak? Is it between the backing-plate and the turbine housing? Or is dripping from the top out of the oil-supply line? If the turbo hasn't been receiving enough oil, this could mean trouble... --- CHECKED, NO PROBLEMS!!
Old 01-14-2003, 02:06 PM
dmoffitt
Three Wheelin'

is that plug wet with oil, or like "Steam cleaned" ie wet with water? the fact that you have oil in the pipe before the turbo near the MAF sounds to me like somehow you have a TON of blow-by and oil vapor's collecting in there. you might want to consider a crank-case breather tank to see if that starts to fill up with oil (measure it in comparison to how much you are having to refill the motor with). i don't think the turbo here is the culprit (however it sounds like you may have also damanged it with whatever this problem is, if it's noisy and not spinning freely). otherwise you'd have more than one plug oily (or so i'd think).
Old 01-14-2003, 04:17 PM
Danno
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CHeck for free play in the turbo. Grab the center nut and move the axle radially and axially. Estimate or measure the amount of play in both directions. This will give us a clue on the condition of the turbo's bearings.
Old 01-14-2003, 10:39 PM
Songz
Advanced

Danno,

What do you mean by estimating the amount of free play??

I tried spinning the nut by hand, all i know is that its not spinning more than 3 revolution.. generally it feels a bit tight.

i can play the nut up/down sideways... what does this mean? Also there is no way i could shift the nut in out (like sex) as compared to my previous K26.

Also the hotside turbine is now stained with black soot. Would this damage the turbine??

I am trying to sent this turbo back for an evaluation from the supplier.. however this takes time and what are my chances of getting one replaced?

Hope you can help me determind if it is actually a Turbo manufacturer's fault. Otherwise, i dont have a claim here.

Having check every other items, I am left with no alternatives but to blame the turbo. BUT I am really curious .. "how could a brand new turbo be so weak??? and giving problems???"

Help!!!

Quick Reply: Turbo problem!! Help needed!