944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

turbo water pump

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2003 | 03:33 PM
jimbo1111
Banned

thanks perry. Wish you would have keyed in a little earlier because i already ordered one.But i will rebuild it and save it as a spare.
Old 01-18-2003 | 04:39 AM
Chas
Pro

I hear a fan noise come on after shut down...I assume this is not the turbo water pump...what kind of sounds can I listen for (or what things can I look for) to check that my pump is cycling?
Old 01-18-2003 | 06:16 AM
type951
AutoX

'Fan' noise might be the pump, or the fans may be drowning out the pump's noise. On my first 951, the turbo water pump was noisy enough there was no doubt it was working. On my second low mileage one, its so quiet I thought it wasn't working. Turns out its pumping away just fine.

To check if the turbo pump is working just run the engine (actually turning key to run should work - mine always runs for 30 sec. even if engine is cold and key just turned to position '2' and then turned off). Pop the hood open and look at the coolant overflow tank - if you see a stream of coolant running down from the top of the tank then the pump is working. The turbo pump return line is the one at the back left of the plastic coolant tank (when standing by front bumper facing engine bay of course) - and as Perry once said "it flows more than some bilge pumps" - so its pretty obvious even with a cruddy yellowed tank - really splashes the coolant around the tank. If your tank is so bad you need to take the cap off to see, please remember all those warnings about removing the coolant cap on a hot engine and try it when things are at a reasonable temp.
Old 01-19-2003 | 05:13 PM
nine-44
Addict
Rennlist Member

Maybe I'm a moron, but, does the turbo pump run while the eng. is running or does the water pump do the work?
Old 01-20-2003 | 12:29 AM
Danno
Race Director

Kinda both, but really the main water-pump takes care of cooling your turbo when the engine's running. What happens is that the electronics and temp-sensor for the turbo water-pump is still active when the car's running. But since the water-pump is flowing coolant through the turbo, its temperature never rises high enough to trigger the electric pump.

So while the engine's running, the main water-pump is responsible for the turbo's cooling even though the electric pump's circuits are still active.
Old 01-20-2003 | 09:12 AM
Silverbullet951
Race Car

I shut down the car after I let it run at idle for a while. I hear the pump working, but I try to check in the coolant tank, and I see no flowing of coolant. I hear a whooshing sound, like water is flowing, but I see no movement. Is it working properly?
Old 01-20-2003 | 10:31 AM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

My engine is in pieces...how can I check the pump without starting the car?

Thanks.

Quick Reply: turbo water pump