Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Porsche Parade '12 - SLC, UT GTG at my place!

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2012, 03:35 PM
ryanm6100
Pumice King
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wouldn't be opposed to a DFW caravan out there.

Or I could just fly out and freeload at Darwin's place.

Old 01-02-2012, 03:53 PM
zerMATT951
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I've only attended two parades, Tampa ('03) and Fort Worth ('04), but the latter doesn't really count because we were the host region. Both were before I met my wife, and now we've got a soon-to-be 3 year old that would have to come along. I've done my best to convince her that we need to start adding the Porsche Parade to our annual event calendar, but I've been unsuccessful so far. Maybe when the little one is 5 or 6...
Old 01-02-2012, 04:18 PM
Baptizo
This didn't cost
me any drachmas
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I'd love to be able to pull of a road trip like that in the 951....SLC, the mountains, Mormon women, Porsche's, BF3 @ Darwin's place...
Old 01-02-2012, 05:05 PM
Darwantae951

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Just bring a console, I have a few TVs!
Old 01-02-2012, 06:33 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 522 Likes on 350 Posts

Still sucks that there's no track event at Miller in conjunction with the Parade. Totally don't understand that. BMW Octoberfest has a 3-5 day DE associated with it every year and Porsche Parade has nothing? WTF!
Old 01-02-2012, 06:35 PM
alxdgr8
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

I might be down for this. I saw way too little of SLC when I drove through it on my way out to Seattle. Loved what i saw though!
Old 01-02-2012, 06:49 PM
Richgreenster
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Let me know what you guys want to do and what type of food you like and I will hook you guys up.
If you guys need help getting a hotel, I have rooms up at Zermatt resort in Heber.
I am huge into Mt. biking if anyone likes that sort of stuff. There is a cool trail right by where the car show will be.

What events are you guys going to register for?
Old 01-02-2012, 10:33 PM
zerMATT951
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by docwyte
Still sucks that there's no track event at Miller in conjunction with the Parade. Totally don't understand that. BMW Octoberfest has a 3-5 day DE associated with it every year and Porsche Parade has nothing? WTF!
Unfortunately Parade has always been more about social activities and the Concours, and less about driving. I guess a majority of parade-goers are more of the "show" than "go" type. It seems like we did something track-related at Motorsport Ranch or Texas Motor Speedway back in '04, but it's been so long I've forgotten. Besides, I was working (host region stuff) most of the time, so I didn't have much time for the fun stuff.
Old 01-02-2012, 11:18 PM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

I might just have to finsh up the 968 turbo cab and drive out there....

Darwin - you better be making up a list of the best mountain roads!!!
Old 01-02-2012, 11:43 PM
Richgreenster
Burning Brakes

Why don't we get an idea of who is planning on coming, then decide what each of you want to do. I have lived here my entire life and know my way around the state better than most.
It sounds like our own driving tour is a must, and Darwin is into gaming.
What driving events are you planning on doing?
Personally I like to spend about 3-4 hrs at the car show and love track events as well as Auto-X. The last I heard from our local PCA chapter was that we were going to run events at Miller Motorsports Park. I have not heard that it has changed but I can check into that if it is a concern for you guys.
I also have access to 2 rooms at Zermatt which is only about 40 min from Salt Lake. My rooms can sleep 6 comfortably and is a blast to stay at if you want to get away from the city. Also I was thinking that a camping event would be fun for one night. I have about 6 sleeping bags and etc.. if needed.
Old 01-03-2012, 01:13 AM
Darwantae951

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Wow, this has attracted way more attention than I thought it would!!!

If all you guys could make it out here, that would be great!
Old 01-03-2012, 11:48 AM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 522 Likes on 350 Posts

That baffles me, as Porsches are sports cars and there's a lot of PCA club racing and DE's going on. Lots of porsche owners track their cars, probably more so than the BMW owners.
Old 01-03-2012, 01:20 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by docwyte
That baffles me, as Porsches are sports cars and there's a lot of PCA club racing and DE's going on. Lots of porsche owners track their cars, probably more so than the BMW owners.
Porsche owners - yes. PCA members... maybe not.

The Parade I attended was pretty heavily focused on social stuff and relaxed driving (rallye, driving tours, etc.) The Autocross was cool but that was really the only official event where you got to drive the car "in anger" so to speak.

I did two of the driving tours and attended one of the dinners, checked out the concours (but did not participate) and competed in the autocross. Overall it was fun, I like looking at other Porsches (and the concours has some real cool stuff to see), I like driving mine (so some of the driving tours were neat.) And the "goodie store" had a lot of general Porsche crap for sale in one place. But I probably won't attend another one unless I was able to pre-plan a lot of non-Parade things to do. A full week of socializing with strangers (even though I *did* meet some really nice people) and relaxed driving is too much and gets boring fast.
Old 01-03-2012, 04:00 PM
N-Dub
Racer

Although I am now (temporarily) Porsche-less, I do know my way around most every good canyon, backroad, and road that should be a WRC rally stage in Utah. I would be happy to help with pointing people in the right direction, and if I'm in town, joining on some road blasts.

Also if there is a demand, I could arrange renting Miller for a track day/weekend.

Regardless, excited to see the state taken over by Porsche!
Old 01-04-2012, 10:09 AM
ramius665
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dougs951
If the planets can align just right, ill be there
Minta and I will be there, even if the planets are aligned "close enough."

Quick Reply: Porsche Parade '12 - SLC, UT GTG at my place!