951 S White gauge faces

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2003, 11:05 PM
champ
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post 951 S White gauge faces

Hi,

Just completed a white gauge face swap onto a spare cluster - I want to keep my stock cluster intact.

Pretty easy but some of the needles required a little persuasion.

My Question:

The spare (now white face) gauge cluster is in miles -whereas my stock gauge is in kilometers.

I suspect that the odometer and worm gear is the same but perhaps a gear or two may be different - 60% faster turning on the kilometer version.

Does anyone know if this is the only difference and can I purchase the metric gears from somewhere to convert from miles to kilos - KLA perhaps?

Thanks
Ike
Old 03-09-2003, 12:03 PM
pikey7
Drifting

If it's one of the stick on bought dial faces, then you will already be tuned. the internals of the speedo are the same from KM to MPH. just a different print.
Old 03-09-2003, 07:12 PM
89951S
Advanced

Do the gauges go to 180MPH just like the stock ones? Ive been looking for white gauges for a while but i can only find em with 160MPH on the speedo. I assume all other gauges are on there (oil pressure, boost, temp etc.) How much was it?
Old 03-09-2003, 11:22 PM
champ
Advanced

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by 89951S:
<strong>Do the gauges go to 180MPH just like the stock ones? Ive been looking for white gauges for a while but i can only find em with 160MPH on the speedo. I assume all other gauges are on there (oil pressure, boost, temp etc.) How much was it?</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">I bought a turbo metric set - maximum speed indicates 300Kph

My question however was specific to the odometer which is not generic to both miles and kilometers - I will however learn to live with the display in miles travelled.

I was shocked to find out how easy it is to reset the mileage - I would have thought that Porsche would have some kind of sealed mechanism to prevent odometer tampering. Not so - caveat emptor as somebody else said recently.

The gauges are pretty good - not as crisp as the silk-screened graphics of the originals though - the two center gauges for speedometer and tachometer have an opaque aluminum backing and are secured by the original screws, whereas the side gauges are made from an adhesive backed 3M lexan material to emulate the backlit originals - they have translucent areas for the ABS etc. warnings. They have all of the markings and warning backlighting as per the originals.

Overall these gauges are very good, better than a few other aftermarket products I have seen, made for other marques - like VW and BMW. I think they offer good value for the money (I paid $38US on EBAY). The ad touted them to be the same as the "expensive catalogue types". I am not displeased with their quality or their appearance.

Now for some warm weather so I can install the cluster in the car.(which is still stored)
Old 03-09-2003, 11:37 PM
silicondigital
User

There is a diffrent gear for MPH in the odo., the speedo is the same besides the face. Its not the worm gear, but the one that comes in contact with the first numbers, the same gear that always brakes on the things.
Old 03-10-2003, 12:03 AM
champ
Advanced

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by silicondigital:
<strong>There is a diffrent gear for MPH in the odo., the speedo is the same besides the face. Its not the worm gear, but the one that comes in contact with the first numbers, the same gear that always brakes on the things.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Hi Silicondigital

Is it the brown gear that mates with the worm gear?

Quick Reply: 951 S White gauge faces