Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

90 turbo cab build thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 03:13 PM
fortysixandtwo
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by azbanks
I am thinking about swapping in the 2.5 liter and then taking my time building up the 3 liter.
I was thinking of listing that as an alternative. Use the 951 clutch parts. The modified intake and exhaust are not that bad. I had mine welded by a friend, for a few dollars in materials and a case of beer for the labor. The cutting / fitting were done by me.
Engine internals: Pistons, rods, bump up the valve spring rate to account for boost, and look into getting inconel exhaust valves made.
Old 04-05-2012, 06:56 PM
azbanks
Freedom Enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If I do the 3 liter, I plan to use the 951 clutch, speed & reference sensors, DME, KLR, Rogue Tuning MAF, etc. I need to find someone to weld up the exhaust flanges and the intake.
Old 04-05-2012, 09:17 PM
fortysixandtwo
Three Wheelin'

Just about any welding shop should be able to accommodate you. A traveling welder might even be better, so the mock up and tack welding can be done on the engine.
A turbo intake and cracked headers can be picked up cheap and as long as you're able to the cutting and fitting, you can get the intake and exhaust done for a reasonable amount of money.
Old 04-06-2012, 02:56 PM
azbanks
Freedom Enthusiast
Rennlist Member

I'll be reusing my SFR stage 1 headers. I'd like to pick up a spare turbo intake and S2 intake so I can get the intake work going while I have the engine work done.

What do I need to do to run the 951 flywheel/clutch/PP on the S2 crank/block?
Old 04-06-2012, 04:24 PM
fortysixandtwo
Three Wheelin'

The exhaust headers are not interchangeable between 16V and 8V heads. You would have to cut up your SFR header to make it work.

The 951 clutch parts bolt right onto the S2 block and crank.
Old 04-06-2012, 05:52 PM
azbanks
Freedom Enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fortysixandtwo
The exhaust headers are not interchangeable between 16V and 8V heads. You would have to cut up your SFR header to make it work.

The 951 clutch parts bolt right onto the S2 block and crank.
2 hole flange vs 3 hole flange.

I need to get my hands on an extra set of S2 headers so I can remove the flanges and attach them to the SFR headers.
Old 09-04-2014, 05:15 AM
azbanks
Freedom Enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Time to revive an old thread. Work has begun but not exactly how I planned it.

I got the wheels to fit without rubbing. It took a bit more work than I expected but they are exactly how I wanted them.

I upgraded the stereo system. New speakers, two amps(one for the main speakers and one dedicated to running the sub box in the trunk), sub-woofer box in the trunk and old school Blaupunkt head unit.

997 multifunction tiptronic steering wheel(work in progress). I plan to use the steering wheel buttons to control the head unit.

Interior is another work in progress.

Headlight upgrade to Bi-xenon HID projectors is another work in progress. Making custom mounting brackets and a custom solid header panel with plexiglass cutouts for the lights.
My wife hit a bucket on the freeway so as part of the whole headlight conversion/bumper repair process, I have a euro version front bumper cover on it's way from the UK. The euro versions have no side marker lights. I also have a very tasteful rear spoiler being shipped from the UK with the front bumper cover.

I decided to go to the turbo 3 liter 16 valve engine via a different route than originally planned. I am converting my car to a Mega Squirt DIYPNP system. It will have full sequential injection and COP ignition. Once I have it set up, running good, and I am comfortable working with the system, I will pull the engine and rebuild it with turbo pistons, etc. I have been collecting parts for this conversion since I bought the car. The Mega Squirt parts are scheduled to arrive by Sept 10th.

I have the Koni coilover kit from Paragon that will go on when the rebuilt engine goes back in the car.
Attached Images     

Last edited by azbanks; 09-11-2014 at 03:01 PM.
Old 09-11-2014, 03:05 PM
azbanks
Freedom Enthusiast
Rennlist Member

The lights are almost done.
Attached Images      

Quick Reply: 90 turbo cab build thread