TPWS rundown of my 951 problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2011, 03:48 PM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jpop8807

Yes I completely agree. He said by the way my compression tests came out. That my internals should be good. He said that my control arms are making my car "dangerous" to drive". So I will try to source those by my next paycheck.
Following that I will replace my ignition system I think with one of lindsey's kits. He said that was a big problem with my car. SO I might as well do the whole set instead of just the plugs. The powersteering rack I was told needed to be replaced. Is this an easy job? I have been to clarks garage. Do you guys know of any site that also include pictures. I'm kinda a visual guy lol. I will keep you guys up on what I do. Or write up some how to's as I tackle it.
If it was a 86, I could have donated some control arms to you. The offset changed for 87+ 944. They sound like that are too far gone for a kit rebuild. Power steering rack is easy to replace, it is held on by four bolts and the steering shaft and the tie rods. Most of the time the PS hoses need to be replaced and they can be expensive so find a good hydraulic shop and have them rebuilt. Sounds like you need to find a good used steering shaft since no kit is around to rebuild them.

Download these to get you started.
http://www.the944.com/manuals.htm

Last edited by Bri Bro; 12-20-2011 at 10:42 PM.
Old 12-20-2011, 04:23 PM
Ifly951
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First of all Welcome to the madness..

I was in the same boat 9 month's ago. I bought what was supposed to be a "decent" car that only needed a rebuild on the transmission. Instead this car was actually a complete mess. My only saving grace was the nice Turbo and 3 inch exhaust that came with the car.

Just work on it yourself, these cars are not that bad. At first they seem like a frustrating nightmare, but you quickly get used to how things need to be taken apart in the right order. It does become much faster.

Best of luck, and use this board and others tech info. It helps alot.
Old 12-20-2011, 06:10 PM
jpop8807
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Scott H
Make sure that your control arms aren't damaged in the ball joint pockets, if they've been bad for a while they can sometimes take hunks of aluminum out of the control arm. Besides that, another +1 for the RennBay kit, get the one with the bronze bushings not the poly ones.
This is exactly what the guy said. I asked about the rebuild kit he said most likely won't do me good. He said my drivers balljoint is so worn that it literally is slamming around int he control arm pocket causing damage to the control arm.
Old 12-20-2011, 06:13 PM
jpop8807
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tedro951
1. Call Travis at Rennbay for balljoint kits.
2. Go to 20th and Ironsides (building 9138).
3. Pay them $5 an hour for a bay with lift.
4. Install the ball joint kit with help and tools available (if needed).
5. Order more stuff and repeat.
Haha the sprocket shop. I would do that but all of 1st cav is back now and its damn near impossible to get in there. But as a second gift from the wife for xmas she bought me jackstands and a 2.5 ton low profile car jack. The kind that shops use. But when all possible I will be in there. Thats why I did my oil change at the house instead of there.
Old 12-20-2011, 06:16 PM
jpop8807
Rennlist Member

I am so grateful that this is such a good community. Yes as I get paid more I will order more parts. Hopefully I will have a set of control arms by the first. To be honest with you guys after reading Clarksgarage....The control arms look like less of a pain in the *** then my first oil change was lol.
Old 12-20-2011, 06:46 PM
reno808
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jpop8807
I am so grateful that this is such a good community. Yes as I get paid more I will order more parts. Hopefully I will have a set of control arms by the first. To be honest with you guys after reading Clarksgarage....The control arms look like less of a pain in the *** then my first oil change was lol.
hey well atleast you didnt make a thread about how come you cant drain the oild from the top. good luck
Old 12-20-2011, 07:05 PM
jpop8807
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by reno808
hey well atleast you didnt make a thread about how come you cant drain the oild from the top. good luck
Hahah I did read that tread though haha. I dono why its hard for people. Maybe my car is different but... I took the bolt out of the pan let it drain. Was too weak to get the filter off by hand then was thinking how the F#$@ does this come off. Then hit clarks garage. Said to use a jstyle filter wrench parts store was out. So just used a regular oil filter wrench. SO morale of the story. If you wait around 2 hours you shouldn't get any oil anywhere in that area. Which suprised me. Then again my oil was as black as shiny combat boots.... So my oil might have just been like sludge in the filter lol.
Old 12-20-2011, 07:07 PM
jpop8807
Rennlist Member

OH and I like that tiny URL thing you have that is priceless. Hey is it faster posting WTB adds in the 951 section will I get told to search? Cause I looked at the parts for sale area and it was mostly 911 parts.
Old 12-20-2011, 07:24 PM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

I think this is why the oil change is easy...from the inspection:
Missing front spoiler/wing

I am betting you don't have the bottom pans. Here is what they look like.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-968-...sories&vxp=mtr
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-944-...sories&vxp=mtr
There is a plastic in the front and a aluminum one behind it. The aluminum bottom pan covers the drain plug area so oil tends to go into the pan and flows out everywhere.
Old 12-20-2011, 10:14 PM
jpop8807
Rennlist Member

You are correct. Are those vital to have? Also the part that says turbo passing considerable amount of oil into intake tract. Does that signify a bad turbo or could it be bad lines or something else?
Old 12-20-2011, 10:41 PM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

No, they come in handy at high speed to keep turbulence down so they should be way down on the list. Good to keep an eye out for a used set at a good price.

Most 944T have oil in the inter cooler plumbing, if you are not smoking oil I would not worry about it right now. It is either sucking it up from the engine through the AOS or the turbo is leaking a little oil. . Suspension first.

BTW: If you can get someone who knows 944Ts to help you take apart all the crap in the front of the engine the first time, it will go a long ways in making you more confident on fixing things. There is a lot of stuff in the front of the engine in a stock setup. There are quite a few folks from Texas on the forum.
Old 12-21-2011, 04:12 AM
jpop8807
Rennlist Member

Thanks Brian I will definitely get around to asking people for help. Are those pan covers a pain to take off and put on? I will definitely work on my suspension first. Because as of now this is my daily. I am prett sure I can do my control arms and sway bushings in one day.
Old 12-21-2011, 09:37 AM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

The pans are held on by a handful of bolts each. I normally don't put them one until I am sure I am done working on the car for a while as they block access to the bottom of the engine.

One day sounds about right, remember to torque all the bolts to spec. Might want to start a new WTB post for a used set to save some money.
I use a little lock tight blue on the bolts just to be safe. All the torque specs are in the manuals but a nice quick reference is at:
http://www.lindseyracing.com/LR/Parts/TORQUESPEC.html

Last edited by Bri Bro; 12-21-2011 at 09:55 AM.
Old 12-22-2011, 07:12 AM
jpop8807
Rennlist Member

Thank you alot. I appreciate all the assistance. I will definitely start a want to buy post. As of right now I'm trying to source most of my parts through Lart. Guy is just great with shipping on time and has helped me before. But I will do it for things i can't get from him.

Onto the oil smoking part. Mine smokes a bit for I would say less then a minute or so on old mornings. But as soon as the engine gets some kind of heat she runs fine.
Old 12-22-2011, 07:35 AM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

That could be the turbo or head leaking while the engine is off. I would monitor oil consumption and do a leak down test to check the engine seals. You can also pull off the intercooler pipe to the turbo and see if you see any pooling of oil in the bottom of the compressor housing after it sees for awhile.

Quick Reply: TPWS rundown of my 951 problems