Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Different DME Pins

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2011, 02:11 PM
audiojoe1
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Different DME Pins

We have an engine waiting to go into a our 951, and it is not the original engine. The engine has a wiring harness on it, but there is one in the car already. It would be quite a PITA to remove the wiring harness from the engine, and then reattach the one in the car on to it. I wanted to know if you could use the wiring harness from the other engine in the car. The reason i ask is because there are different pins in different places. I could not find a diagram that showed what pins went to what, so if someone could point me in the right direction that would be great. This is my first time replacing an engine in one of these cars so I am not very familiar with the DME pins. Thanks in advance!
Old 12-17-2011, 03:25 PM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

Here are the pins and the manual is here:
http://the944.com/manuals.htm
Attached Images  
Old 12-17-2011, 10:55 PM
audiojoe1
Intermediate

Thank you for the pic and the manual! But it appears my inexperience has allowed me to mix up the DME with the KLR. At least i assume so. The plug I am talking about has 25 pins in it. And that leads me to assume its the KLR. The unit this plug goes to also has the pressure line off the manifold going to it. I don't know if there being changed pins between the two would be a bigger deal with the KLR or not. Thanks
Old 12-18-2011, 01:19 AM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

The KLR is a boost control computer. Not sure what you have but here is the KLR pinout.
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...2op6Cw&cad=rja
Old 12-18-2011, 02:02 AM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 287 Posts

What year is the 951? Is the harness in it the original factory harness? What year is the replacement motor and does it have an oil level sensor in the oil pan? If you have a stock 951 replacement motor, it will work with a stock harness from any year, but the oil level sender was added to later cars, meaning you may or may not be set up right for that, but it's not really a big deal to sort out. You'll want to know what chips you have also and make sure they are ok for your motor. If you tell us what you have, we can tell you how to sort it out.
Old 12-19-2011, 03:44 PM
audiojoe1
Intermediate

Thanks for the responses. I have not gotten to the chips in the DME and KLR yet but I will go deeper into that today. I just looked at the oil pan on my 86, and on the engine out of the car, and the one that is out of the car looks like it might have the oil level sender. So its an 87 engine? or later? i had thought it was an 86, but had a suspicion since there wasn't a venturi on this engine. The DME and KLR plugs look the same, and have the same pins as it turns out. I was able to pull the plugs through the fire wall and learned what a pain it is. And i also noticed there were different connectors on the cars wiring harness, vs the engines. There should be a picture of them. I was hoping someone could tell me what they were. Sorry for my rambling, thanks.
Attached Images    
Old 12-19-2011, 11:06 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 287 Posts

The picture is a little dark on my screen, but that looks like an oil level sender in the pan. If it has an electrical connector with wires going to it, then that's an oil level sender. If so, it's an 87 or later motor unless someone retrofitted an 86 (which is unlikely, but possible). The 4-pin red connector was replaced with the flat black connector because they needed to add additional connections for the oil sender. I assume that the car is an 86? If so, I'd just use the harness already in the car and leave the oil level sender unconnected. You can't really use it anyway since the 86 instrument cluster doesn't have a low oil light.

Quick Reply: Different DME Pins