Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

rear tire problems...

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2002, 12:15 PM
Jeremy Martin
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post rear tire problems...

hi all, quick question. my rear driver's side tire is sitting squat with camber, while the passenger's side is just fine. i jacked the car, and there wasnt any play in the side-side motion of the car, but the was a good 10 degrees of rotation with the tire before the tire would start turning the axel. would this be the cv joints or the wheel bearing? or both? i only noticed this because it seems to become more apparent when the car is in motion (presumebly because of the rear suspension contraction upon acceleration) and i dont usually get a good view of the back of the car when i'm driving. i can hear a metallic clinking, sort of ratteling sound coming from back there as well... i'm confused because i'd expect a cv to make more of a popping sound, but it could be the axel hitting the exhaust. i pinched the cv's, and they arent degrading from the outside but i cant feel much grease in there either. any ideas?
Old 06-05-2002, 02:15 PM
Perry 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 53 Posts
I would say the CV is toast. I had no clicking with nine, but a lot of backlash. Replaced both axles and all was good.
Old 06-05-2002, 07:20 PM
Rads
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To my knowledge ( and in my experience) clicking which increases with cornering is a very common sign of CV wear. My first time someone else pointed it out to me, the second time ( 2 cars) I heard it.

Rads

'86 slighly modified 951 street car (goes to the track once in a while for Driver Ed)
'86 plus, multiyear highly modified 951S Trackster

Quick Reply: rear tire problems...