Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

OPERATION: 2.8L Swap - T Minus 48hrs

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2012, 03:03 PM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Doug are you back in SoMd for the summer?
Old 05-15-2012, 04:59 PM
ausgeflippt951
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by toddk911
Yes, same here. I was short on time that day I picked it up. When IMA has a meet or a dyno day down the road I will go and we can talk a lot more.

Where in Boston area? I love Boston and visit as often as possible. We just there in July for the 4th which was one bucket list things. Also I spent a year at Ft. Devens out in Ayer/Fitchburg back in the day and we would go into the city every weekend.
Sounds great. No problem at all -- it was nice just getting to see the shop and whatnot.

I work in the Boston area, though I spend most of my time out in Southborough/Hopkinton, MA. I used to live here for a few years prior to moving down to NoVA (did grad school and then stuck around for a job).

Funny thing about Devens -- it's now been decommissioned and is now used for autocrosses. Fun place -- lost of space. Isn't July 4th awesome in Boston? Really spectacular. This past year my buddy and I borrowed my roommate's row boat and rowed down the entire length of the Charles to literally get as close as possible to the fireworks barge. I think I'm going to brave DC on the 4th this year!

Did some runs after the new starter still at about 15psi and she pulls strong. Was trying to see if I could get 1 bar in 4th before 3K but I could only get about 3,100. Which isn't bad for a "super laggy" LR S75 that can run 25psi all day long if need be.

I know in the colder months I would see about 300 or so rpm gains in spool so this fall/winter I should have 1 bar about 2,8K give or take.
Damn -- impressive. I've got a Vitesse St. 3 and I get 16lbs at 3400 RPM in hot conditions. The 2.5L doesn't help things and I sure as hell love the way the turbo pulls at redline but I would certainly like to drop my curve down to get full boost below 3k. There are a few things I can see myself doing (notably upgrading to a MAP sensor).

I've been hearing a lot of good things about the M-Tune lately. When we meet up next I'd be curious to hitch a ride and see how she feels.
Old 05-15-2012, 06:08 PM
Dougs951
Race Car

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I will be in SoMD for good for the next few years.
Old 05-15-2012, 06:30 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Dougs951
I will be in SoMD till the day I die.
FIFY!
Old 05-15-2012, 06:48 PM
Dougs951
Race Car

Originally Posted by JohnKoaWood
FIFY!
Har har.

Why would I leave a full shop, house and land behind?
Old 05-15-2012, 07:46 PM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

Doug so now you are able to get paid to do work on cars? Remember I was a potential customer even before you were legal! Wait, that didn't come out right. Lol

Seriously if you finally opened that shop you mentioned way back let me know.
Old 05-15-2012, 08:00 PM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ausgeflippt951
Sounds great. No problem at all -- it was nice just getting to see the shop and whatnot.

I work in the Boston area, though I spend most of my time out in Southborough/Hopkinton, MA. I used to live here for a few years prior to moving down to NoVA (did grad school and then stuck around for a job).

Funny thing about Devens -- it's now been decommissioned and is now used for autocrosses. Fun place -- lost of space. Isn't July 4th awesome in Boston? Really spectacular. This past year my buddy and I borrowed my roommate's row boat and rowed down the entire length of the Charles to literally get as close as possible to the fireworks barge. I think I'm going to brave DC on the 4th this year!

Damn -- impressive. I've got a Vitesse St. 3 and I get 16lbs at 3400 RPM in hot conditions. The 2.5L doesn't help things and I sure as hell love the way the turbo pulls at redline but I would certainly like to drop my curve down to get full boost below 3k. There are a few things I can see myself doing (notably upgrading to a MAP sensor).

I've been hearing a lot of good things about the M-Tune lately. When we meet up next I'd be curious to hitch a ride and see how she feels.

The M Tune and pretty much anything Josh/Rogue puts out there is good stuff and very reasonably priced.

I know the increased displacement is a major component to spool up but think just all the leaks being taken care of makes a big difference on its own. Especially the header leaks most have under the heat shields and crush rings etc.

Yea Boston fireworks was best I have seen and I have seen them in most major cities. This year we will be in DC (still a great fireworks display) on the Mall for them since the last few years we have traveled for the 4th so we should meet up for a drink. Wait, are Ozzie's allowed to celebrate the 4th?? Lol

I was at Devens when it was still the M.I. HQ and then when it got move to Ft. Huacuacha, AZ I got transferred out there and that's when the started the decommision which was around 1994. Good times and memories there. Lol

Oh with active duty ID back then we could get standing room tickets at Fenway for 3 dollars and usually there were seats available down low. So 3 bucks and seats behind home plate or the dugout.
Old 05-16-2012, 10:18 AM
Dougs951
Race Car

Its more of a keep my own fleet running kind of shop.

But you are more than welcome to swing by someday if you need some wrenching.
Old 05-17-2012, 07:22 PM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dougs951
Its more of a keep my own fleet running kind of shop.

But you are more than welcome to swing by someday if you need some wrenching.
Speaking of, while checking out a questionable Ref/Speed sensor connector it turns out the wires right before the plug are barely holding on. So it won't start. Would you be willing to help install a new harness? You would have to come to my garage though since it won't start.

Can it be done without pulling the intake etc? As it is a tight fit to get back there. Since the motor was just swapped the last thing I want is any major work.
Old 05-18-2012, 10:32 AM
968tcab
Intermediate

dont want to creep your conversations, but my dad was an officer on Devens, I use to run all over the place without the mp's messing with us, beer cans all over the back seat, couldnt touch a car with the blue # 3 decal! Highschool was a blast.....Now the Shirley police were another story!

Mike
968 tcab
orlando
Old 05-18-2012, 12:38 PM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 968tcab
dont want to creep your conversations, but my dad was an officer on Devens, I use to run all over the place without the mp's messing with us, beer cans all over the back seat, couldnt touch a car with the blue # 3 decal! Highschool was a blast.....Now the Shirley police were another story!

Mike
968 tcab
orlando
Hey Mike!

Very cool! So what time frame or years were you at Devens?

And your in Orlando also? Ok this is weird. Lol. I'm hoping to be back in Orlando or central FL in general in the next 6 months or so.
Old 05-18-2012, 09:53 PM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

Did some runs after the new starter still at about 15psi and she pulls strong. Was trying to see if I could get 1 bar in 4th before 3K but I could only get about 3,100. Which isn't bad for a "super laggy" LR S75 that can run 25psi all day long if need be.

I highly recommend the starter!

http://garage.ideola.com/prod-HiTorque.html
Starting in 4th with a low speed will make boost at lower RPM but that is not the way it happens under acceleration. I can make 15lbs boost at 3.2K in 4th, but on the track, my data logger shows boost at 3k but getting to 15 at about 4K. And, it is interesting that 15 and 18 lbs are about the same amount of time because the boost slope is steep. Same engine as you have but with VR stuff. I am still getting a handle on the torque....really takes some getting used to. I started with a 60-1 Hi Fi and it came on boost so hard it was hard to handle. I went back to the VR turbo and it transitioned so much better and pulled to redline. Traqmate says 360rwhp at 16 lbs boost.

Quick Reply: OPERATION: 2.8L Swap - T Minus 48hrs