Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

88 951, possible purchase, quick Q

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2002, 09:04 PM
JvZ
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post 88 951, possible purchase, quick Q

I've ahad a 944NA in the past, but I'm thinking of moving into the turbo world.

I'm looking at an 88 944T. It looks great, except that it has an oil leak on the turbo inlet and outlet oil lines. Is this a serious issue? Sign that the turbo may go? How much of a job would it be to fix? How hard is it to replace the turbo? I'm mildly mechanically inclined, but don't have much experience with turbos.

There's also an oilpan leak... is that a big deal aswell?

Thanks in advance,
JP
Old 06-03-2002, 12:46 PM
951Tom
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
To replace the o-ring on the turbo inlet, the intake manifold needs to come off to gain access. Not too difficult.

To replace the o-ring on the oil outlet, the turbo itself must be removed along with the exhaust. This involves more work. If the car has higher miles, it would be worth having the turbo rebuilt since you'll have it all apart anyways.

Oil pan gasket requires the steering rack & crossmember be removed. You'll need to support the engine somehow from above.
Old 06-03-2002, 02:43 PM
Russ Murphy
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm currently replacing my turbo and removing the oil pan on my '88 951. It took me 4 hours to remove the intake manifold and crossover pipe and turbo. I've removed the intake manifold and fuel rail several times before, so it was a very small component of the job. Getting the turbo off is somewhat of a bear. I'm doing the oil pan (removing crossmember) tonight or tomorrow. I'll let you know how long that takes if you want.
Old 06-03-2002, 05:05 PM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Taken from another thread:

1. Get a PPI done on any car you are serious about.
2. Give some preference to a car will full service records and receipts.
3. Pay particular attention to when the water pump and timing belts were last done. Water pumps don't last much more than 60,000 miles. Timing belts about 30,000. Some people say less, few say more. Either one failing can lead to serious damage.
4. Get a PPI (Pre-Purchase Inspection).
5. Get a PPI.

Quick Reply: 88 951, possible purchase, quick Q