Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Electric locks / Keyless entry / Weekend project?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2002, 08:41 AM
MarkBytes
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Electric locks / Keyless entry / Weekend project?

The garage queen is a 1986 951. The factory electric door locks can be activated by the rocker switch in the center console.

Thought it would be a neat upgrade to install keyless entry and would save wear & tear on key tumblers and be more convenient. I orderd a keyless entry / alarm module (don't have brand name in front of me, but common to the industry and includes wiring diagram) and now have a problem.

My intention was to tie the keyless module into the door lock toggle. I just realized the factory door lock toggle only operates when the car is running or used to Lock the doors. Once the P-car is turned off the factory toggle does not work (open the locks) until the car is restarted. Rats!! Now I'm unsure of how to wire up the module....obviously I'd like to be able to use the keyless fob to Lock and UNlock the car.

Any advise? The mfg of the module has been useless.
Old 05-24-2002, 08:51 AM
Kool
Part of the IN Crowd
Rennlist Member

I don't know much about electrics but is there a way to somehow run the actuators directly from your alarm module? I bet that if you go to a good stereo shop and talk to an installer he could help you out.
Old 05-24-2002, 10:13 AM
jason952
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
<a href="http://forums.rennlist.com/forums/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic&f=15&t=006898" target="_blank">Check this thread</a>
Old 05-24-2002, 12:20 PM
TT
Racer

With the 86 951 stock electric lock system there should be a Brown w/White stripe and a Brown w/Red stripe wire in the wiring harness coming from each door. They go to door lock switches on both doors and the lock control unit. Ground the Brown/Red and the lock should go Auf (up). Ground the Brown/White and the lock should go Zu (down?). If you can find the lock control unit, the Br/Wh and Br/R wires go into pins 7 and 9 on the connector (if you can follow the wiring from the central lock switch, it goes to the lock control unit).

Not sure how the keyless module you have works, but hopefully it has relays or can directly control the up/down wires.
Old 05-27-2002, 06:48 PM
MarkBytes
Instructor

Question

THanks to your responses...and Timm's call on Friday, the wireless entry is installed and working on the 1986 951. Tapped against the control box under the steering wheel, it worked great. Brown/white stripe and brown/red stripe did the trick.

Now another challenge. I want to connect the rear deck release to the "option" of the keyless entry. Not sure how to wire. The Porsche trunk release switch has three wires: red (hot), white and blue. Appears the red and white are in constant contact when switch UNpressed. WHen switch depressed the red / white releases and the red connects with blue momentarily.

This is where my expertise ends. What purpose does the white (constantly engaged) wire serve? Can I just cut?

Help????
Old 06-03-2002, 05:24 PM
MarkBytes
Instructor

Trunk release (keyless) is now operational.

Just for the record here is what worked for me:

Attached wireless module trunk signal wire (12vNeg) to Bosch relay. Output of relay goes to the blue wire on back of Porsche trunk relaease switch in kickboard. Had to cut thru (disconnect) white wire to void shorts.

Never figuerd out what white wire did in original Porsche design, but verything seems to be working fine.

Quick Reply: Electric locks / Keyless entry / Weekend project?