Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

OT: 914, good deal?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2003 | 03:02 PM
Robwsup
Racer

Post OT: 914, good deal?

I have a friend trying to unload some cars, his wife says he has too many! Anyway he has 1973 914 w/ 1.7L motor. He upgraded to a single Webber carb and the longitudinals need stiffening, (typical 914 body sag)but the doors still open and close. It comes with alot of spare parts, including two motors. It has the Riviera 15x6 wheels. He wants me to hook up his home network and $800. Sound like a decent deal? Yes, the car runs and he drives it a few days a month.
Old 04-30-2003 | 03:46 PM
Matt Sheppard
Addict
Rennlist Member

The beauty of the 914 is the tossability - they can really hook and book! That is really compromised if you dont start out with a solid frame - why try to develop a floppy car? That and the weber conversions suck outright - these cars are better with just the orig. jetronic fuel injection, much more driveable than any carb set up and I have done a few. I've had 5 914's in my past and most of them were carbed - even my 2.4L 4 cyl. FAT Performance monster motor. The best one of all of them was my '73 1.7 w/ the functioning F.I.
If the logntitudinals have rust (sagging), it's usually terminal. If you could brace it (can you do your own welding?) and just wanted to drive it for a few years, fine. But, it will not be worth anything if you go to sell unless you get to the structural rust and replace panels which is not cost effective but for say a 914-6 that you want to bring back to orig. - even then you can not get your $ out of a good restoration of even a "6". Your only other option is to find a strait, rust-free doner car and transplant the good stuff over. At that point, is it really a "find" for $800 and your network?
That said, you can find good solid chassis out west here for $800 real easy. The mechanicals are easy on these cars, the structural stuff aint. I'd say "No thanks, got any 944 parts you want to trade?"
Old 04-30-2003 | 04:14 PM
Dave951M
Addict
Rennlist Member

There sounds like major welding needing to be done. If you can't do the welding, $800 may be too much, more like why don't I just hook up your network.
Old 04-30-2003 | 07:13 PM
Robwsup
Racer

Hehe thanks guys.

Quick Reply: OT: 914, good deal?