Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Tried seafoam and now car won't start, Ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2011, 10:32 AM
gpr8er
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I bet he fouled the plugs squirting the sauce into the intake. Put new plugs in it and start it up.
Old 12-15-2011, 05:49 PM
LFA951
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gpr8er
I bet he fouled the plugs squirting the sauce into the intake. Put new plugs in it and start it up.
Plugs were my guess originally, they are the only elctrical conductor the Sea foam could have gotten to and clogged up, first step would be to replace them and go from there, a set of plugs costs $12 and takes 15 minutes to replace...
Old 12-15-2011, 08:09 PM
944V8inDFW
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by reno808
the new rule of thumb is dont use seafoam on a 951. u went from a running 951 to swapping/changing parts and still no start
+951x2

Seafoam Ingredients
40-60%: Pale Oil
25-35%: Naphtha
10-20%: isopropyl alcohol
http://www.seafoamsales.com/271-msdsseafoamen.html

might as well get good and drunk and **** in your gas tank
Old 12-15-2011, 08:11 PM
944V8inDFW
Three Wheelin'

If you want cleaner that actually does something the GM, yes GM TEC product is pretty good.

GM TEC ingredients:
2-BUTOXYETHANOL
Naptha
4-METHYL-2-PENTANOL
9-OCTADECENDIC ACID

After using Seafoam and you start your vehicle and see the smoke show, that's not carbon it is all the friggin pale oil burning!
Old 12-15-2011, 08:19 PM
LFA951
Drifting

I've never fouled off plugs using seafoam.[/QUOTE]

On a 4 cylinder 951 or V8 like the one on your avatar?
Old 12-16-2011, 01:31 AM
jpop8807
Rennlist Member

Just sea foamed mine and it runs great did the fuel tank, oil and the vacuum hose. If you did the oil did you use the correct amount? Also did you mess something up if you did the vacuum method? I pulled the big vac hose from the brake thing and my car sounded like it either knocked or detonated. Put it back on used the small one off the side and had no problems. Car runs smooth doesn't vibrate as much. Will change the oil tomorrow.
Old 12-16-2011, 10:02 AM
67King
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by robstah
You mean a compression problem. If I read it right, he already stated that he smelt fuel on the plugs (and probably fouled them at the time).
No, I mean a fueling problem. I should specify that I am of the impression that the car will not TRY to start. It just turns over but won't try to fire.

Low compression engines will usually run, albeit poorly. I've never failed to get one to crank. But I also don't believe that all four cylinders would concidentally go bad at the same time. Even if all four have valves hanging open, it should stumble or show some sign that it is trying to start.
Old 12-16-2011, 10:19 AM
LFA951
Drifting

Originally Posted by jpop8807
Just sea foamed mine and it runs great did the fuel tank, oil and the vacuum hose. If you did the oil did you use the correct amount? Also did you mess something up if you did the vacuum method? I pulled the big vac hose from the brake thing and my car sounded like it either knocked or detonated. Put it back on used the small one off the side and had no problems. Car runs smooth doesn't vibrate as much. Will change the oil tomorrow.
At the SeaFoam webstie it says you don't have to change the oil, but since it is like an engine flush, why wouldn't you?
Old 12-16-2011, 10:33 PM
Ifly951
Instructor

Thanks for following up fella's.

First, seafoam can kiss me **** for these cars. It's not worth it. Yes It can and does work on other cars, but most likely this is going to cost me bad.

Since my last post.

Cleaned MAF with appropriate electrical cleaner, and checked all connections....No Change

Tried Starter fluid....No change

Put in same , but new NGK plugs...No change.

Charged battery....Car tries to start like a Banshee wolf now, and sparks occasionally like it wants to turn over...But that's it..No start.

I am scratching me head still. Ooh and checked fuses too. Next plan is to "listen" to hear if the fuel pump is working. What is the DME pin thing about jumping the 30 and 87b terminals? to see if the pump runs? Do I pull the DME relay out to find these? Or, are they part of the wires plugging into the DME?

I really hope to get this car to start, it was so close to running fantastic before this, it's hard to believe.
Old 12-17-2011, 10:21 AM
EVOMMM
Rennlist Member

Received 1,651 Likes on 966 Posts

i would check your computers this is very common they are 25+ yrs old now and brittle
it was just a coincedence with the seafoam
Old 12-17-2011, 12:46 PM
carlege
Drifting

i dont think seafoam caused your problem. i think its just 25 year old vehicle no start that coincided with a seafoam treatment.
Old 12-17-2011, 01:25 PM
jpop8807
Rennlist Member

I was on my old supra forum. They recommend if your car has high miles if this is your first time seafoaming to drain it within 50-100 miles. I guess they said that your oil should be black from all the crap the seafoam cleaned. I will change mine today to see how accurate that statement is.
Old 12-17-2011, 01:48 PM
Black51
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

As long as you're getting fuel, compression, and spark, it will run. One of those is not in the equation. Maybe the seafoam messed up the cylinder walls/rings or something, but until you test for compression, you don't know for certain whether or not compression is the problem. I doubt it did that, but do what robstah said.

These cars don't tend to just 'stop' working with no prior symptoms, if you know what to detect when a sentencing is impending from the Porsche gods. So I personally wouldn't rule out seafoam as being the culprit IF the car was running perfectly, immediately before doing the treatment. Otherwise, it would most likely be an existing problem that has finally taken it's toll.

Try and think about what you've looked over and what you haven't. Have you checked the grounds on the engine lately? What about vacuum leaks? You may have replaced stuff, but have you pressure tested the system? You should install a fuel pressure gauge on the rail, so that can always be monitored simply by popping the hood and looking at it. Cheap and effective mod. What about the dme? Have you looked inside the box for water/signs of shorting?

I don't think the problem is just the seafoam, it's what the problem was before seafoaming, and it was never solved, which the seafoam may or may not have been the thing to push the car over the edge.
Old 12-19-2011, 08:06 PM
Ifly951
Instructor

Tried starting the car today and it popped once pretty strong out of the exhaust.

So at least it ignited this time and is getting somewhere. It seems that I have flooded it with either gas or something. Every time I let it sit a few days and not try cranking the car several times it almost starts.

The car ran fine before this except for a fluctuating idle. I bought it a almost a year ago and have put thousands into it.

It had an old Huntley MAF (4 inch) ARC 2 setup that was not very good at all. Since then I have rebuilt and replaced all sensors, turbo and wastegate. Tons of work. With a Turbonetics 50 trim, and Rogue Tuning MAF setup the car was running very, very good. Pulled hard at just 12 psi. I just needed to pass one last part of smog hence the non brilliant idea of trying seafoam (amongst other things).

Anyways, maybe try a little gas on the pistons? Car almost started. If I have compression tested that will take a few days to get done with Christmas coming soon.

Thanks again for everyone's input.
Old 12-19-2011, 11:49 PM
944V8inDFW
Three Wheelin'

Pull the plugs, let it set for a day and dry. If you havent put new plugs and in fire it up!

Quick Reply: Tried seafoam and now car won't start, Ideas?