Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Haltech E6K

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2002, 08:35 PM
M Danger
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post Haltech E6K

With all this ECU talk why has there be no mention of the haltech?
For 1200 bucks???
its the same price as these other systems, but comprable to the TEC3

Mike
Old 05-27-2002, 09:54 PM
Russ Murphy
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It seems pretty neat. I looked at it originally, but I think that when you totalled all the knick knacks up it was substantially more than the SDS.
Old 05-28-2002, 03:51 PM
M Danger
Three Wheelin'

well i dont know about substantially but the think i dont like about the sds is you can plug it into a computer. Seems a bit lacking to me while the haltech does just about everything the TEC3 does for a 1/3 the price.
Old 05-28-2002, 04:56 PM
Russ Murphy
Drifting

It just depends on what you like. I selected the SDS specifically because it didn't require a laptop interface. If I want to adjust a specific map value to smooth my idle I can do it whether the computer is there or not in seconds.
Old 05-28-2002, 05:14 PM
Danno
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
One of the neat features of the Haltech systems is that they can control a boost-solenoid as well. So that's like a $350-500 electronic boost-controller built-in.

On the programming front, only the very intial data-entry of the SDS can be time-consuming (if you're entering a data-map someone else has devised). Otherwise all the tuning changes you'll be doing affects just a single number here and there. Besides, if you know what you're doing when it comes to tuning, you're not going to be changing whole columns or ranges of numbers wholesale anyway.
Old 05-30-2002, 02:00 PM
M Danger
Three Wheelin'

HEY!! some one give me a good reason to buy or not to buy(that is the quesion) the haltech ek6.
Seems no one is really talking about anything but the SDS, which i dont see it as being THAT great.
maybe im not taking something into account?
Anyway I found a good deal on one with map and temp sensors, for less than the SDS system
(i also found a good deal on the autronic, but not quite as good a deal as the haltech)
Old 05-30-2002, 03:22 PM
Russ Murphy
Drifting

HEY!! Go for it! The list needs a Haltech test dummy. Seriously, make sure that the programming interface is friendly and functional. Can you change values while it's running, etc. The one feature I miss that the SDS doesn't have is datalogging. Good Luck.
Old 05-30-2002, 04:19 PM
Rob
Addict
Rennlist Member

[quote]Originally posted by M Danger:
<strong>Anyway I found a good deal on one with map and temp sensors, for less than the SDS system
(i also found a good deal on the autronic, but not quite as good a deal as the haltech)</strong><hr></blockquote>

Details please!!! Prices and sources.

Thanks,
Rob
Old 05-30-2002, 05:20 PM
rage2
Three Wheelin'

[quote]Originally posted by Russ Murphy:
<strong>The one feature I miss that the SDS doesn't have is datalogging.</strong><hr></blockquote>

The SDS interface to the handheld unit is proprietary (even though it uses a standard DB9 serial cable). I talked to one of the SDS techs and he was willing to share the info with me.

When I have some time, a friend of mine will work with me on building a device that plugs into the SDS port, emulates a handheld interface, takes the data from the 2 screens (it'll have emulate flipping through 2 screens, since the display is setup that way), and output the data via serial port at 9600 baud. From there you can Hyperterminal to it and log the data.

No promises, but it's something that's on my todo list since I got the SDS system.
Old 05-30-2002, 05:58 PM
Russ Murphy
Drifting

Neato rage! On a side note, my turbo is leaking oil badly. Darn. I' m in the process of hunting a big/fat one down. I f you don't mind parting with them, I'd love to see your 72# map.
Thanks,
Russ
Old 05-30-2002, 06:08 PM
Konstantin
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

you have to consider that Autronic with the AUTO TUNE tune it by it self. No way that other can do that as fats and as easy. You will save a lot of money and problem with this option.
you can just rent a wide band sensor and tune your car poerfect on the road which is much better than on a dyno. everybody who tune it on the dyno has to test the car on the road and tehn retune it again.

Konstantin
Old 05-30-2002, 08:36 PM
rhesus
Addict
Rennlist Member

You should do it via palm... now THAT would be sweet

[quote]Originally posted by rage2:
<strong>

The SDS interface to the handheld unit is proprietary (even though it uses a standard DB9 serial cable). I talked to one of the SDS techs and he was willing to share the info with me.

When I have some time, a friend of mine will work with me on building a device that plugs into the SDS port, emulates a handheld interface, takes the data from the 2 screens (it'll have emulate flipping through 2 screens, since the display is setup that way), and output the data via serial port at 9600 baud. From there you can Hyperterminal to it and log the data.

No promises, but it's something that's on my todo list since I got the SDS system.</strong><hr></blockquote>
Old 05-30-2002, 10:40 PM
Badue
Advanced

I too am considering the Haltech E6K. It looks like good equipment. It has the capability to use the factory pickups for timing too, that I like. Boost control, tune on the go, data-logging, drag-and-drop changes to the curves. Haltech as far as I know can use the other sensors too, so that saves on having to adapt the TPS also. I think the Bosch sensors are superior to GM anyday. The stock timing pickups have so much better resolution than a couple magnets per revolution. I like the option of sequential injection as well. So my 2 cents, Haltech rates up there just below MoTeC with a lot lower cost.
Old 05-30-2002, 11:25 PM
Danno
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
"You should do it via palm... now THAT would be sweet"

You know what... someone should make an interface to use a Palm as the actual engine-management computer itself! Rather than costly circuits and ASICs, do it all in software! Engine-management isn't that tough of an algorithm. There was even that one university project using a GameBoy console to control a 2-cylinder engine!
Old 05-31-2002, 01:29 AM
rage2
Three Wheelin'

[quote]Originally posted by rhesus:
<strong>You should do it via palm... now THAT would be sweet</strong><hr></blockquote>

The interface that I'm designing is a straight SDS to 9600 baud serial conversion, so technically, any device that supports serial communications (palm, pocketpc, windows) should be able to use it.

In playing with the display today, I noticed flipping between the 2 pages, there's a 1/2 second "GAUGE 1/2" display that'll lag the results... not sure how I'm going to get around that.

Quick Reply: Haltech E6K