Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

autothority stage 2 chip?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2003, 06:56 AM
dmoffitt
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Just grow up kid" - who's trying to provoke a fight, with comments like that?? I never wrote any of my post as a directed insult toward you, in fact it wasn't intended to insult ANYONE in ANY way... I am surprised for someone who’s telling _ME_ to grow up, that your reply would contain such language *shrugs*

I'm guessing from your VA address, you live near / work for / deal with Auththority. Before you go twisting my words and giving me a bad name with them, let me make this clear about my opinion: Autothority is an AWESOME company; I have a lot of respect for everything they've done EXCEPT their 944 chips. The 996 they built was incredible, and I've never heard anything bad from them (again, other than the chips), but personal experience speaks MUCH louder to me than anything, and I’m CERTAIN the reason I toasted an exhaust valve was a lean condition caused by their chips. Again, ask Danno about how the idea to write the guru software came about to begin with. I feel chips tuned that poorly are irresponsible, and that truly good "customer service" would be to offer an updated version... but I digress. I think you misread my intent - it was never to insult you, nor Autothority, nor the originator of this post, or to compare Autothority as a company to Hyundai, it was to make 3 points:

1) The poster asked for advice, and essentially ignored what people said in making his decision (even the one person SORT OF supporting the chips obviously wanted something different/better, not what I would call a favorable “go for it, good plan” reply).

2) Autothority chips are dangerously lean on the top end, which can cause many (expensive) problems. To me, that’s not good tuning, that’s “Lets throw some more fuel at the midrange and play with timing a bit, people will be thrilled it’s faster, who cares if it blows up later.” – not a product I wish to support / see another Rennlister purchase.

3) Customer service is extremely important in today's market; however it's no replacement for good engineering and excellent products. Unfortunately, very few companies offer great products AND great customer service, in the 951 world, I see that as Lindsey Racing, GURU Racing, Paragon Products (but they are really just a reseller, aka no R&D) and from my limited experience with Tim, Speed Force Racing.

So please, get off your damned high-horse where you feel a need to put me down because I disagree with you about Autothority’s 951 chips, or because you feel I picked on someone (where my intent was to educate / protect), don't take what I said personally, and realize, my response DID come from research (or, experience at the very least) and was intended to be helpful to the topic originator, even if it could be taken as a bit scathing. Yeah, maybe I should have reworded what I said a little less abruptly, but it pisses me off for people to ask advice and then blatantly ignore it. It also pisses me off when people like you feel a need to get personal and make attacks with words like “kid” yet feel that somehow _I_ started this “STUPID FIGHT.”
Old 06-10-2003, 07:15 AM
dmoffitt
Three Wheelin'

Oh, and re: 'playing that little "my car's faster than your car" game' - I wasn't the one who started slinging mud with statements like "worry about your own piece of ****."

I've put a lot of heart, sweat, blood, time, (and, since it's a 951, money) into my car, I think considering those factors, what I have done to it -- note, I said _I_ -- of course I'm going to be insulted and retort if my work is labeled a "piece of s***." Perhaps the poster felt his car is a piece of **** and thus implied mine was too with that statement? (j/k, duh, if you can't figure it out, that was SARCASM).

I'm very proud that almost everything short of assembling the short-block has been done with my two hands and the help of some friends. It's been quite a process (again, I don't feel a need to list everything here, if you really care, check my p-car online profile) and isn't fully complete, as I'm shooting a documentary this coming week and haven't been able to devote much time to my car, but I'm very proud to be a member of Rennlist, I'm proud of the good advice this board has offered me and others, I'm happy to help, and again, if I came across as rude, I'm sorry -- but I don't want to see said advice ignored, and I certainly would never wish engine troubles on ANYONE, much less someone who, judging by the fact that they are chip shopping, is just starting down the long path to the dark sid-- er, just starting what can be a difficult, lengthy and expensive process of modifying a 951. It's like "tough love" - maybe I wasn't very nice about it, but I sure did get his attention (and unfortunately attracted yours, I say unfortunately, because up until this post I've carried a world of respect for what you have had to say on Rennlist, for your beautiful car, and it saddens me to see you stoop to the same level as this Marc944T character, with the name-calling, etc). So please, can we drop this stupid quarrel, and get back to the topic at hand, that being:

Should this person choose Autothority chips?

My argument is why pay more for what many consider an inferior product, versus purchasing, say, GURU chips (or as another mentioned Steve R, but I favor GURU due to Danno's constant presence / contributions to Rennlist), saving money, getting more performance, and having a more stable car? Obviously the choice is up to him, and it's his car / money, but I hope he makes an educated decision -- as YOU said to me, research is important...
Old 06-10-2003, 08:06 AM
Olli Snellman
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Marc944T seems to be quite new on the Rennlist. I suppose he has studied what chips are available for 951.
APE chips used to be one of the best and most of us bought them.

As Eurospeed951 told Autothority has not developed 951 chips for some time, so their chips has become a little bit "old fashioned" Guru Racing and some others have developed better chips which outperform APE & Europroducts chips.

I bouhgt Europroducts chips almost four years ago and they felt great. After that i had also used APE & Super chips. I have also tested a chip set made by a leading finnish tuner.
None of these chips don't come even close to Guru chips.

I suppose there are lot of used 951 chips for sale.Some of us might find it out attractive to get used APE chips chaper than buy a set of new chips.

Perhaps Marc944t also bought a set of used APE chips ???
Old 06-10-2003, 02:16 PM
Marc944T
Advanced

ok after reading all of your comments i think that guru chips are the best for my car. my car is kind of modified so do i need anything else with the guru chips?
Old 06-10-2003, 03:01 PM
Tadi
Rennlist Member

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by Marc944T:
<strong>ok after reading all of your comments i think that guru chips are the best for my car. my car is kind of modified so do i need anything else with the guru chips?</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Just talk with Danno. I've had no personal dealings with him concerning my car, but the general impression I get from the list is that he has infinite patience with his customers. I have a feeling that if you tell him what your car has he can provide you with a correct setup, as far as chips go, without much trouble. I plan on going with GURU when I upgrade the chips simply because I'm relatively new to the world of tuning older cars and his vast knowledge and willingness to go beyond just a tuner parts supplier is attractive to me.
Old 06-10-2003, 03:25 PM
dmoffitt
Three Wheelin'

Danno provided some of the best pre-sales support I've had, he's patient, and very technical, yet doesn't talk over your head / try to dazzle you.

Best of luck!
Old 06-10-2003, 05:39 PM
jimbo1111
Banned

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
I love ape chips they taste like Lay's.

Seriously though, The fuel curve is designed for a k26 at 1 bar. If you have a larger turbo or run higher boost then 1 bar. You could manipulated the chips fuel curve with a ARC 2 or other map/maf controller. I haven't had any experience with guru chips. I do like the idea of switching fuel maps to 55lb/65lb injectors though. But how much more aggressive could you go with timing than ape. Every turbo from a k 26 to a t04e garrett or hks gt turbo. Has it's own boost curve. A perfect chip would have to advance and retard timing and adjust the fuel curve to meat the characteristics of every turbo for the 951. APE has already done that with the k26/6 ,k26/8 up to a k27/8. The midrange richness stated above for ape chips is a safety precaution for detonation on the onset of boost. A little to safe? for sure. And yes you can detonate at that rpm. guru chip are probable not as conservative as APE . Don't know for sure. I have ape stage 2 in my car right now. will I change them? If a chip is made for my turbo yes. If not, no. Good luck
Old 09-25-2015, 10:41 AM
Naplesguy06
Racer

Jimbo,, do you run a 3 bar FPR and dual port gate with the APE chips or is that too much fuel for their deign?if I want to raise the boost to let's say 16 pounds from the 14.7 that the chips are mapped for or use a maf can I dial all of this in with a piggyback like the PSC1 from split second? I have all of the parts to make a safe 270 hp just trying to decide if the other bolt on are necessary.
Old 09-26-2015, 03:48 PM
pcleary1210
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This thread is 12 years old
Old 09-26-2015, 03:52 PM
estrellajon
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by pcleary1210
This thread is 12 years old
lol. Holy resurrection!!!
Old 09-28-2015, 11:01 AM
lee101315
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Naplesguy06
Jimbo,, do you run a 3 bar FPR and dual port gate with the APE chips or is that too much fuel for their deign?if I want to raise the boost to let's say 16 pounds from the 14.7 that the chips are mapped for or use a maf can I dial all of this in with a piggyback like the PSC1 from split second? I have all of the parts to make a safe 270 hp just trying to decide if the other bolt on are necessary.
Even though the thread is 12 years old, I ran my Autothority chips with a 3 bar pressure regulator and with 18-20 psi of boost almost 10 years ago... Its not like the stock turbo can hold that number to redline anyway, it'll drop to 13-15. Trouble free.

I'd get rid of the chips and buy a MAF and bigger turbo.
Old 10-25-2015, 11:40 PM
Naplesguy06
Racer

Default lol resurrection thread,APE chips

Yes, it's an old thread and some things have changed,somethings have not. I still run APE stage 2 chips from the good ole boys that were once windward performance. I decided to install a MAF, old Huntley unit which is a Ford Mustang 5 volt bullet MAF,stage 4 which means 4 inch housing diameter and I picked up a PSC1-004 AFM to MAF converter from split second which uses R4 software.This is basically not only the signal converter/massager but I can dial in AFRs and more. I don't even know if my APE chips are made for the stock AFM or a MAF but that didn't stop me and I installed it all. It works well.Timing is aggressive. I picked up a nice turbonetics 60-1 hifi which is like a lindsey super 60 and a good Tial gate,this goes in next. I spoke to Russel for a while about flashing me a chipset custom to my setup and he's offered some assistance. MAF technology has evolved a lot since this threads inception we now use slot MAFs that can be placed in the intercooler tube between the IC and the TB, blow through design thus elimination all of the plumbing in front of the turbo,draw through archaic design. I am placing a Tial BOV on the opposite IC pipe and the intercooler will buffer out the pressures between the two pipes,this is he modern way to do it. The APE chips always provided me flexibility,maybe windward did some firmware updates to them,not sure.I have never talking to another APE/windward performance chip owner to see how they were originally designed.
Old 10-26-2015, 01:31 AM
Humboldtgrin
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Wow! 12 years ago my car still had the same setup I'm betting from when I bought it two years ago. With autothority stage two chips with an autothority MAF, 55 lbs low ohm injectors(I installed 1 ohm ballast resistors inline with each batch fire), k26-8 turbo, and old Adjustible FPR and aluminum BOV. But at 16psi still puts down 299 at the rear wheels! So not bad for an old Atari running the show. This thread made me laugh for some time!!! This is one of the oldest rezerections I have seen pop up in a while. And my car is still the same in those regards. Now we have so much more to chose from compaired to back then in regards to accual faster and better stand alone ECU's. Or rouge running stock DME's and making them a fully tunable DME's. Doesn't Wolf make a plug n play for our 951's also? So much has happened in the last 12 years for our cars... And then the RP968 comes out with a backwards head 600 to 900HP and over 100 sensors on the car! Lots of stuff has happened with these cars in the last 12 years . Except my car...its still got autothority Atari....that's why I had to laugh!!!
Old 10-26-2015, 09:32 PM
Naplesguy06
Racer

Default Yes 12 years later

I saw a Post that was just as old if not old, " show us your 944 turbos" that thread was in the 500s This one is still interesting because I am also running the 4k Atari chip which had about a number 2 clock speed. If we ever need EPROMs to blank we can just buy some old Atari games.

Last edited by Naplesguy06; 10-29-2015 at 09:32 PM.
Old 10-27-2015, 01:55 PM
Humboldtgrin
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Just don't use "pit fall" or "kaboom" as the blanks..hahaha..

Quick Reply: autothority stage 2 chip?