Using an Intercooler as a Coolant Radiator

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2011, 11:32 AM
JBreckeen
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Using an Intercooler as a Coolant Radiator

So, a very odd one guys:

I am planning to change around the front end area of my race car. I am planning on changing the oil cooling, water cooling, brake cooling, etc. . .

Depending what front bumper / splitter I go with, I might want to run two smaller coolant radiators a la Boxster / 996+.

So, there are not many options I can find of small sized radiators out there - yes I can and might use Boxster radiators. But, there are many sizes and shapes of intercoolers out there - all aluminum and not expensive (Jap cars).

So, can this work? Is there any reason not to use intercoolers? Is there any difference of the cooling capacity? The interals any different?

BTW, I only run distilled water and Wetter.

Thanks in advance . . .
Old 11-25-2011, 12:04 PM
Willard Bridgham 3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Water-to-air cooling coils calls for different design than air-to-air cooling coils.

I would check the pressure drop on the proposed intercooler using water. The water pumps on these cars are centrifugal pumps that are pretty sensitive to increased pressure drops. If you change the heat exchanger, you may have to replace the pump, too.
Old 11-25-2011, 01:01 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 647 Likes on 501 Posts

As stated, water core designs are different than air cores. You could use some tall oil coolers on either side of the nose for water cooling like Lindsey Racing's cars on their page. It wouldn't hurt alternatively to go for a nice stroll through your local pick-n-pull with a rad size in mind and see what fits...I think some smaller displacement Jap and Korean cars will fit what you're looking for. I might go to the yard this weekend and I'll look around too if you like.
Old 11-26-2011, 12:45 AM
audisport
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2004+ Audi S4's with the 4.2 V8 have dual aux radiators off of the main radiator. They're pretty small, I doubt they'd cool enough alone. You can see them here a little on both sides. They sit like side mount intercoolers.

Quick Reply: Using an Intercooler as a Coolant Radiator