Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Lindsey Racing car dynos vs rest of the world

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2011, 02:08 AM
pole position
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^You are confusing peak hp vs Tq.....top speed is achieved with peak hp.

A peakyy high rpm engine will beat your balanced easy to drive superior area uder the curve engine in a ***** to the walls race all day long.
Old 11-24-2011, 02:40 AM
DDP
Rocket Scientist
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeremy Himsel
If you pick up a K&N air filter, you'll pick up another 10 RWHP. Summit racing says so.
But can they be over-oiled and does this effect the 10 hp figure?
Old 11-24-2011, 06:23 AM
Black51
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by pole position
^You are confusing peak hp vs Tq.....top speed is achieved with peak hp.

A peakyy high rpm engine will beat your balanced easy to drive superior area uder the curve engine in a ***** to the walls race all day long.
Explain.
Old 11-24-2011, 06:42 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Black51
Explain.
with more peaky horsepower higher in the rpm means your torque stays linear for longer then a peak horsepower lower in the rpm. means you'll be shifting earlier and having a lower top speed.

F1 cars have a very straight torque across the rpm range having a consent incline of rpm higher rpm you go. F1 engines don't have much torque but a high amount of horsepower at their peak rpm. they have real short gear ratios but because of the high rpm they can still achieve 400 km/h, So they fly through the rpms accelerating and that's where the horsepower counts. if that makes sense.
Old 11-24-2011, 10:35 AM
Jeremy Himsel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DDP
But can they be over-oiled and does this effect the 10 hp figure?
I don't think so...I dip mine in 30W but it's Mobile 1 synthetic so that actually adds a few HP as well. Up next are iridium spark plugs and nology plug wires for another 15HP.
Old 11-24-2011, 10:39 AM
Black51
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I wasn't talking about torque. I was talking about (horse)power under the curve. It really doesn't matter how much torque is being produced, as you've proven Paulyy, so long as there is more area under the power curve. The car with more of that, regardless of who has more 'peak' HP, will win. That's why I was saying with F1 cars, they stay in a very narrow RPM band so they can stay right around that peak HP, since anything below that and they're useless because they're out of the power band and the area drops dramatically.

But the scenario I was envisioning was with two similar cars in a race from point A to point B. Should've been more specific on that. Take two 951's for example. One is very laggy but with high peak HP (think ST), and the other is more responsive with less peak HP. So say the peak power difference is 50WHP.

The car that is going to win is the car with the higher average HP in it's power band, not simply the car with higher peak HP. If the curve is too steep before it hits the higher power levels, it'll be too far behind to make up and pass the other car before having to shift again. So of course having the right gearing and power band is the other half of the story. So again, as long as the peaky car has a higher area under it's power curve, yes, it will win.

Unless you were referring to a top speed race, then for sure, the car with the highest HP will win. But who does that...
Old 11-24-2011, 11:23 AM
gruhsy
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

I think its all more dependant on the driver not the power Saw that with superbike races at the track whenever I helped my friend racing.
Old 11-24-2011, 12:55 PM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Fixed that exhaust leak, 17-18 psi at 3500-3600 rpm in 4th. in 3rd the car accelerates to quick and gets full boost 3800-4000
Old 11-24-2011, 01:33 PM
gruhsy
Drifting

Originally Posted by Paulyy
Fixed that exhaust leak, 17-18 psi at 3500-3600 rpm in 4th. in 3rd the car accelerates to quick and gets full boost 3800-4000
So its better your saying?
Old 11-24-2011, 01:42 PM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Yep
Old 11-24-2011, 02:11 PM
gruhsy
Drifting

Yep
Sweet......posting new video anytime soon?
Old 11-26-2011, 08:31 AM
Cyberpunky
Three Wheelin'

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

so the question is.....got boost ????
Old 11-26-2011, 10:36 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Cyberpunky
so the question is.....got boost ????
I've got boost! at times... I've got some stories for you haha.

atm it started to miss fire again.
Link to that thread Here
Old 11-28-2011, 06:14 PM
Mike Lindsey
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Is it me or their dyno charts seem a little optimistic on numbers?

I worked out on 16 psi I'm around 300-320 rwhp
(ran a c63 amg and stayed with him, very slowly pulled closer to him as he took off 1st. as in my bonnet was at his drivers window. Worked out his power to weight then matched up mine. )

On one of LRs dyno charts, similar mods to me except their car has a solid cam shaft kit ran a 370 rwhp @ 18 psi

What i'm trying to work out is if i put 2 more psi on my engine i'll gain 25-30 hp her psi?

OR their solid cam shaft really makes a difference? even though it revs up to 7k rpm the maximum power was made 5500 rpm

Paulyy,

All the dyno charts on our site are real dyno charts. Not altered in any way other then cropped and sized for the web site. Some came from customers and shops. RUF for example. Some of those people are on Rennlist.

Putting altered dyno charts on our web site would be slitting or own throat, so we don't play that game. We can re-produce the same numbers with any car, with the same mods, properly sorted and tuned. We could do better on most of those as they are pretty old when we had less experience and knowledge. Many of our parts have been improved over time as well.

Many a HP has been found at the dyno making the right adjustments. Experience makes a huge difference.

We gained 35 RWHP when adding a solid cam to a car with a 340 RWHP
kit. It's the 375 chart on the site. It wasn't a very aggressive cam either. It falls in the middle of our solid grinds range.
It's not a stock grind with just solid lifters. I don't think anybody has done that with us yet.

Put together the right combination of parts, on a healthy engine, well sorted out and tuned properly, can make good numbers. Many don't know how to sort, or properly tune. So you get weaker numbers. It's easy to make mistakes that cost you HP. More then you might think.

If you're not making what you think you should be, either it's the wrong combo, it's not set up right, or they never will because they aren't what was advertised.
Other 1-405-947-0137
Old 11-28-2011, 06:23 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

is it just me or does the title of this thread seem a bit rude ?

Quick Reply: Lindsey Racing car dynos vs rest of the world