Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

EEK! Driveline slack

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2003, 09:51 AM
BoostGuy951
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post EEK! Driveline slack

I have been noticing alot of driveline slack when shifting, going from reverse to 1st gear.

I immediately thought CV joints, but they only have maybe 1000 miles on them. I jacked up the rear end and put the car in 1st gear. I rolled underneath the car and had a buddy turn the rear wheels. There was about 45 degrees of play turning the wheel each way before it wouldnt turn anymore. I watched the CVs as this was happening, and they seemed to have no play in them. All of the sloppiness was coming from the transmission.

Can anyone diagnose this specifically?

BTW, I do have factory LSD, and when I turned one wheel in neutral, the other turns the opposite way.

I guess I will ease up on the power shifting from now on.
Old 06-05-2003, 11:52 AM
Perry 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 53 Posts
If you have LSD and your wheels turn in opposite directions, something is toast in there. With the amount of play, you could have a failed LSD.

I am not great with tranny stuff, so hopefully someone else can hop in with a suggestion.
Old 06-05-2003, 03:45 PM
Waterguy
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thi$ doe$ not $ound good. $ound$ like the dreaded ring and pinion gear (differential.) Might be a tad late to ea$e up on the power $hifting for that tranny. Con$ider it for your next one.

Edit: Thinking about it, it could also be your clutch disk. If you had the rubber centered disk, that would get my vote, however, I believe that the spring centered disks can also fail (loose or break springs?)
Old 06-05-2003, 08:32 PM
facboy
Burning Brakes

yes i too would suggest the clutch - mine has a fair amount of play (but 45 degrees!!!!!), and i believe it's my rubber-centered clutch on the way out.
Old 06-05-2003, 10:46 PM
BoostGuy951
Three Wheelin'

I believe I have the "Cup Clutch", installed by the PO, with less than 10000 miles on it. If It turns out to be the LSD, what are my options? Are they rebuildable, or am I looking at 1200 bucks for a new one?

Quick Reply: EEK! Driveline slack