I want to see an intake comparison

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2002, 07:10 PM
951Racer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question I want to see an intake comparison

Ok, these intake manifolds have me interested. I have been watching Dave work on his for the past 6 months and he has finally released the final product. Of course now SFR has also released a product. I am interested in a comparison of the two! I have never seen Lindsey on this board but I know Tim is here all the time, so Tim, any Dyno results? Thanks to AlanC we have an analysis of the Lindsey manifold.

I have to say that 15rwhp is not a lot for the amount of money that you need to spend. I stack them up like this:

SFR $2069 with volocity stack and large throttle body which I feel are a must. New pipes also.

Lindsey ~$1500 including new hard pipes.

I feel both of these would be useless without a larger intercooler.
Old 11-03-2002, 07:42 PM
hybrid_944
Instructor

yes I am interested in a comparison of the 2. lindsey's product looks more agressive, and SFR looks simpler.

can some one post the flow specs of of the SFR intake. Iknow that lindsey has them posted on thier web site. but the $ to buy is a little higher then the SFR one.
Old 11-03-2002, 08:52 PM
Danno
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Talking

Don't forget the Milledge intake. HP-gained/dollar is probably the best ratio with that one.
Old 11-04-2002, 11:30 AM
TurboTim
Banned

We are still working on our new intake. We will have some dyno numbers very soon. Although the price seems rather high for our intake manifold it allows you to use a much larger turbo then stock. This was the reason we desinged our intake manifold in the first place.

Danno,

The Milledge intake might be out of most peoples reach since it is over $5000 now

It is really nice though.
Old 11-04-2002, 06:59 PM
Danno
Race Director

Talking

I bet Tim's intake will get similar numbers to the Lindsey unit, but higher. Like +20hp/-20lb•ft torque... any takers? I'm heading out to Vegas on Thursday....
Old 11-04-2002, 07:04 PM
PorscheG96
Race Car

[quote]Originally posted by TurboTim:
<strong>The Milledge intake might be out of most peoples reach since it is over $5000 now

It is really nice though.</strong><hr></blockquote>
That's an understatement...the Millege intake manifold is sexy!
Old 11-04-2002, 07:14 PM
hybrid_944
Instructor

Tim. I like your design better. mostly bc. of the fact that you can run a bigger turbo. It also cleans up the engine bay significantly. I just want to see flow #'s.

mostly bc. is obvious that you choped up the stock intake and used the stock runners. Im not shure about this, but it looks like the #4 runner would inherently flow significantly less air then the other 3.

I'm looking to buy the intake some time early next year. so keep us posted.

let the best flowing intake win.
Old 11-04-2002, 10:22 PM
Huntley Racing
Racer

Well put one more in the mix. We are making some of our billet aluminum ones for both 8V and 16V applications with a 1200 CFM twin blade TB on the front. It is a large plenum/short runner design for maximum top end power. Retail price of around $1700 or so.

Old 11-05-2002, 01:34 AM
hybrid_944
Instructor

Isn't that plennum attached to the supercharger?

it does not look like it is a turbo intake. but I do have one comment

DAMN thats a big plennum...
Old 11-05-2002, 07:52 AM
TurboTim
Banned

Tim. I like your design better. mostly bc. of the fact that you can run a bigger turbo. It also cleans up the engine bay significantly. I just want to see flow #'s. mostly bc. is obvious that you choped up the stock intake and used the stock runners. Im not shure about this, but it looks like the #4 runner would inherently flow significantly less air then the other 3.

The intake on our website has S2 runners which are all exactly the same.This particular intake is for a customer who is turbocharging his S2. This was just for the prototype. We are working on new runners which will be CNC'd.

Yes Derreks plenum is big:^) I have a feeling though that both of our plenums have about the equal amount of volume. Lots of plenum volume is what you want. With a correctly designed intake, you will lose torque down low but usually make it up higher in the rpm range.
Old 11-05-2002, 11:02 AM
Skip Wolfe
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
[quote]Originally posted by 951Racer:
<strong>I have never seen Lindsey on this board ...</strong><hr></blockquote>

That's because he was banned by Rennlist a year or so ago.
Old 11-05-2002, 11:39 AM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

Anyone done any intake or throttle body work on thier own? I have seen some cheap used intakes and throttle bodies on Ebay and was interested in doing the work myself.
Old 11-10-2002, 11:23 AM
dhickey
1st Gear

The SFR throttle body looks real familiar. Cheaper alt may be to find a Tbody from any '85 to '91 or '92 to '96 vette and send it to this guy for enlargement to 52mm.

"dkoldos@aol.com with questions. This guy is a tool and die maker with many years of experience.$ 190.00 get's the work done along with sealed roller bearings for the throttle shaft.1 week turn around usually .Mine is going out today.I will post after it is returned and installed.Take a look!"

Should be good for 780cfm. If you left it stock it should flow just shy of 670cfm. Tuned Port and LT1 f-bodies used the same Tbody as well. Down side would be scrounging junkyards for a part to put on your Porsche?
Old 11-10-2002, 11:45 AM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
please do not let my here question take this post off topic:

Why was Lindsey Racing Banned from Rennlist? Can I have a link to the thread?

Reason I'm asking is: Should I be buying parts from someone who cannot control himself on a UBB.
(If that is indeed why he was banned.. which is why I'm asking to begin with..)
Old 11-10-2002, 12:51 PM
Michael Weinstein
Instructor

Question

I don't want to get too involved in this, but I vaguely remember Lindsey Racing choosing to leave Rennlist. They got into a huge online argument with Turbo Tim, if my memory hasn't completely gone away. After that, they decided not to waste their time and energy with Rennlist. Correct me if I am wrong on the facts, but I don't think that they were banned.

Quick Reply: I want to see an intake comparison