Crank bolt fell off car.

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2002, 04:35 AM
Matthew West
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Crank bolt fell off car.

Hello,
I was on my way home tonight when the power steering went dead. Shortly after the oil pressure began pinging between zero and 5 bar and then went to zero. I pulled to the side of the road immediately and walked to a friends house. On the way to his house my wife kicked a big bolt in the street and jokingly asked if it was part of my car. I picked it up, it was still warm, and hauntingly familliar...

Further investigation revealed that it was the crank pulley belt. I recall that when I replaced the front seals, my 24 mm socket was not deep enough to really get on it. I checked the torque spec and it is 210nm. At this juncture I would venture it is damn important that you tighten that f*cker to specification.

Anyway my question is: Is the oilpump driven by friction provided by the crank pulley bolt's clamping force??

Thanks,
Matt
Old 11-03-2002, 04:53 AM
Ahmet
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts
Yes.

Same thing happened to me a long time ago. I had to walk up and down the street... I'm guessing you've lost the pulley? Even if you do find it, chanses are it's off balance. I'd look for a new (used one).
Ahmet
Old 11-03-2002, 10:15 AM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,065 Likes on 549 Posts
And don't forget the O ring
Old 11-03-2002, 12:38 PM
Matthew West
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the confirmation guys. I vaguely rememberred that the oil pump was driven by friction. I think 911 and Porsche World supplied that information in a front seal replacement article some number of years ago. I am waiting for Sears to open so that I can get a deep 1/2" drive 24mm socket. Then I am off to pick up the car. As regards the pulley I think that I may have gotten lucky, as it is laying on the undertray.

As an aside... It seems that after I replaced the front seals that it was taking progressively longer for the oil pressure to rise when starting the car after it had been sitting for a over 8 hours. This may have been due to slippage of the oil pumps drive. When I am done with this repair I will post a seperate thread if this proves to be a resolution.

Quick Reply: Crank bolt fell off car.