Depth of O2 Bung?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2011, 04:29 PM
SirLapsalot
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Depth of O2 Bung?

Hello,

Noob question about wide band o2 sensor bung placement. I fully understand what the orientation and distance from turbo/exhaust outlet the sensor should be mounted but I am unclear on the bung depth. I just received an Innovate Motorsports gauge and a one inch bung is supplied. In the instructions all it says is that any decent exhaust shop should be able to weld the bung in and that is should be "flush" with the exhaust. Does flush with the exhaust mean the bung should be welded in the exhaust so that the bung is flush with the inside diameter of the pipe or are they referring to the fact the when fully threaded in the sensor will be flush with the end of the bung?

So my question is when welding this bung in can it be inserted into the exhaust half way so that it is sticking into the exhaust pipe about half an inch? I just am not clear on how to properly weld this bung in, never done it before. So if anyone has a WBO2 gauge from Innovate and can clear this up for me it would be appreciated.

I did search but everything that comes up with pictures is very old and I cannot see the pictures. That is very annoying.
Old 11-13-2011, 06:15 PM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You put the bung on the pipe and weld it in. Some have a small lip to center it in the hole but you don't need to insert the bung all the way into the hole. The black stuff around the bung in the one picture is high temp paint that was put on.

If you go to a muffler shop, they will do it for very quickly and it is inexpensive to do.
Attached Images     

Last edited by Bri Bro; 11-13-2011 at 06:34 PM.
Old 11-13-2011, 06:23 PM
Clown
Instructor

Just had someone weld the Innovate bung the other day into my exhaust. I too had a one inch bung supplied. He drilled a hole and sunk it in the exhaust about halfway. So only half the bung is sticking out. Not sure if that is the right way but they are a well known Porsche shop near my house who seem to know what they are doing. I thought the bung looked a little big in my opinion and was surprised that the tip of the sensor when screwd in barely stuck out the other end of the bung. When I got home and installed the sensor and everything seems to work great and the readings appear to be good so far.
Old 11-13-2011, 07:24 PM
chrenan
Three Wheelin'

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Its really a game of "just the tip". Only the tip of the sensor needs to be just barely in the exhaust stream to get an accurate reading.
Old 11-13-2011, 09:14 PM
SirLapsalot
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Thanks guys.

I had seen bungs similar to the ones you pictured in your post Brian so I was slightly confused when I saw the bung supplied with my kit which is why I ask. I wish I took a picture but it is a full inch and there is no lip just a cylinder with threads all the way through.

But sounds like Clown has the same bung as me and has just had his done the way you guys are describing so thanks for the responses.
Old 11-14-2011, 11:55 AM
reno808
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by chrenan
Its really a game of "just the tip". Only the tip of the sensor needs to be just barely in the exhaust stream to get an accurate reading.
thats what she said

Quick Reply: Depth of O2 Bung?