Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2011, 12:29 PM
86 951 Driver
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Water Pump and Timing belt Job

http://www.allzim.com/acatalog/Cam_B...02_2f105_2eLKT

http://www.allzim.com/acatalog/944_T...e_Version.html

I am thinking of ordering these two deals. There is a mechanic in town that will do the timing belt and water pump job. He says labor would be about $600 thats with me sourcing my own parts. He recommends going with a new pump, but I have had good luck with Zim's Rebuilds in the past not sure about everyone else?

He can get a rebuilt pump for $125 and then he said the Balance shaft belt was around $74 and the rollers would be more. I find that price awfully high.

Post up your results from rebuilt pumps vs. new. Car in question is a 86 951. The guy also recommended going to the later style pump.
Old 11-07-2011, 12:38 PM
spammajamma
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

pretty much in line with what I've bought in the past, the water pump seems low, very good deal but it does matter who did the rebuild...use "the search" to get a better idea
Old 11-07-2011, 12:42 PM
APKhaos
Drifting

I've bought lots of part from Zims. Always been reliable, they know their stuff, and prices are competitive.
Also installed a Zims reman water pump for a friend a few years ago. Still going strong. You can use the later style pump on your '86. Search here for details, or check http://www.clarks-garage.com/shop-ma...ure-index3.htm
Old 11-07-2011, 01:01 PM
Ben951S
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

pelicanparts.com kit,
Old 11-07-2011, 01:20 PM
pettybird
Burning Brakes

zims parts are great. word of warning if you're having someone else do the work--if he doesn't source the parts for you, and there's a problem, they don't usually stand behind it. if they get the parts and something happens, it can't be anyone's fault but theirs...
Old 11-07-2011, 01:37 PM
User 41221
Banned

Received 173 Likes on 108 Posts

I'd strongly suggest you reseal the front end at the same time. The seals you need are not listed in the Zim's kit.

Let me know if you want me to see what Banger can do, pricewise. I am pretty sure we can be competitive on these parts.

As far as new vs rebuilt, I have done both. I have never had a problem with a rebuilt water pump I have installed but I've only installed them on my own cars.

Regards, ...Scott
Old 11-07-2011, 02:14 PM
86 951 Driver
Race Car

Originally Posted by pettybird
zims parts are great. word of warning if you're having someone else do the work--if he doesn't source the parts for you, and there's a problem, they don't usually stand behind it. if they get the parts and something happens, it can't be anyone's fault but theirs...
This is the only thing I am worried about. He really only checks 2 sources at least it sounds like.

Problem is this. I had my car body worked on at this guys shop(accident not at fault), we need to take care of some other little details. Just found out this weekend that something is leaking a little bit behind the timing belt covers. I am assuming its worst case scenario and its the pump. Also my car is up for the front end service anyways as its been 3 years since there was any work being done in there. So he told me just to stop by, but in reality I can't unless I have it towed there(not taking the chance with this waterpump).

I would like to have the front end resealed, along with timing belt water pump replaced. I have never had an issue with Zim's stuff. My old 924S went 7 years on the same pump and belts.(Don't flame me).
Old 11-07-2011, 02:35 PM
reno808
Rennlist Member

I used that the WP from them. Its good part and prob the cheapest price around
Old 11-07-2011, 02:43 PM
pettybird
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 86 951 Driver
This is the only thing I am worried about. He really only checks 2 sources at least it sounds like.

shops are creatures of habit...if it's something common I just make one phone call to our local O'reilly. if it's P car specific, we have a Pelican account, etc.
Old 11-07-2011, 02:44 PM
zerMATT951
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I've used 2 Zims water pumps (2 different cars) and both are still running strong. Many 'listers can also back that up. Pricing from Zims is tough to beat, and they source all of their own rebuilds - they don't just buy someone else's rebuilt stuff and sell it as theirs like most of the "parts" places do.

I may be a bit biased because Zims is local for me, but no matter how many times I shop around for prices, I keep coming back to Zims... I have to pay Texas sales tax, and their prices are generally equal or better with that included.

For performance stuff, I like Lindsey Racing. For OEM parts, I like Zims. Both stand behind their parts, stock what they advertise, and ship same-day. You'll never get excuses from either of them.
Old 11-07-2011, 02:51 PM
86 951 Driver
Race Car

Originally Posted by zerMATT951
I've used 2 Zims water pumps (2 different cars) and both are still running strong. Many 'listers can also back that up. Pricing from Zims is tough to beat, and they source all of their own rebuilds - they don't just buy someone else's rebuilt stuff and sell it as theirs like most of the "parts" places do.

I may be a bit biased because Zims is local for me, but no matter how many times I shop around for prices, I keep coming back to Zims... I have to pay Texas sales tax, and their prices are generally equal or better with that included.

For performance stuff, I like Lindsey Racing. For OEM parts, I like Zims. Both stand behind their parts, stock what they advertise, and ship same-day. You'll never get excuses from either of them.
I hear ya on that. Lindsey is close to where I live. I get parts within 2 days from them. Zim's has been a great place to deal with in the past. I just want to make sure if I source my own parts that they are quality so I don't have to pay someone to take it all apart again.

Also if I wasn't so scared of this job I would just do it myself. Ever since my dad's old 944 snapped a brand new belt the day he picked it up I am nervous about doing it myself.
Old 11-07-2011, 03:02 PM
zerMATT951
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I just want to make sure if I source my own parts that they are quality so I don't have to pay someone to take it all apart again.
I completely understand that. If your mechanic can source parts for reasonable prices, and he'll stand behind them, definitely go that route. I only mention LR or Zims because a lot of smaller shops don't care where the parts come from as long as they are quality/OEM. They aren't in it to make 15-20% markup on parts, they would rather spend their time turning wrenches to make real money.

Also if I wasn't so scared of this job I would just do it myself. Ever since my dad's old 944 snapped a brand new belt the day he picked it up I am nervous about doing it myself.
I've been in that situation before too, either lack of experience tackling a major/risky project, or simply not having time to mess with it. I did tackle the belts on my 924S shortly after I got it, and I'm glad I did because now I know how simple the job can be. Sure, it takes a little time, but the procedure is WELL documented here and elsewhere, that it's a minimal risk situation. The gang here is always quick to help with advice when you get stuck.

That said, when I bought my Turbo back in '04, I didn't have the time to do belts, plus I wanted a new exhaust system and wastegate installed along with some gauges. I didn't want to do the exhaust laying on my back, and I was pressed for time, so I had a local shop do the work for me. He actually sourced all of the parts from Lindsey Racing, who gave him a professional discount, then he charged me LR list prices for the parts. Not a bad deal for either of us.

By the way, if you find yourself putting together a large order with either Lindsey Racing or Zims, ask for a discount. LR has always come through with 10% for me when I'm spending over $1,000 (which has happened more times than I care to admit), and I know that Zims can do similar although I usually make smaller misc parts purchases there.
Old 11-07-2011, 03:09 PM
Tedro951
Three Wheelin'

+1 on Zims, just make sure to order everything that could possible be needed. A shop won't be happy if they are waiting on a belt guide or something silly for 3 days...or if they won't cut your rear cover for the updated pump.
Old 11-07-2011, 03:20 PM
86 951 Driver
Race Car

Originally Posted by Tedro951
+1 on Zims, just make sure to order everything that could possible be needed. A shop won't be happy if they are waiting on a belt guide or something silly for 3 days...or if they won't cut your rear cover for the updated pump.
This shop I'm sure would be able to handle cutting the rear cover. They have setup a lot of 951's for racing and various other deals.
Old 11-07-2011, 03:47 PM
Darwantae951

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Another vote for Zims here. They really stand behind what they sell. If you ask them about their rebuilder, they'll tell you that they have been going to him for years. I actually had one start going slightly premature (a couple months before my change), and they gave me a discount, and asked for the core so that they could do an analysis on it. Have one on my 3L and it's going great. Can't beat their prices, and the guys are always nice on the phone or if you walk in.

Quick Reply: Water Pump and Timing belt Job